Keef: the S/H Tele thang...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keef: the S/H Tele thang...

Okay, somebody..., SOMEBODY on this forum MUST own or have tried a telecaster with a single coil bridge & humbucker neck, like what's-his-name from that Brit rock'n'roll band.

Whats the dealie-deal with that? I'm guessing you put it on the middle switch, thus combining bright, chiming biting highs with a fat bottom, which rattles the floor thru an Ampeg V-2. But i don't know, so very curious...

For instance, is that the first guitar we hear in "Beast of Burden?"
    Cuz it don't sound quite like a classic Gibson; sorta like a scooped beefy clean tone...?

I know it's usually his 5-string open tuning so that adds extra waveform muscle, but IRregardlessly,..

Details... Kindly if you please... (thanks)
    ••••••••••••••••••••••
    4 hb (80's rawk) comparison (PG8-DSD-Ant-JB)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CCULONDTzI
    VAN HALEN gtr tone: 10 Cheats
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcaTtAFnpWE
    Dunc Dist Demo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWbO7NvEpk0

Re: Keef: the S/H Tele thang...

with the right pups it can be cool. if you leave the pup selector in the middle there isnt much to worry about once you get a tone you like. if you are going to flip around mid song it can be tough to get a single coil and humbucker to balance well tonally and output wise

Comment

Any way you cut it there are going to be tonal and volume balance issues with a Telecaster. Unfortunately moving to a humbucker, mini humbucker or P90 in the neck is often a compromise because they want a 500K volume pot while the bridge wants a 250K pot. If you go with a 250K volume the neck humbucker is often too dark and if you go with a 500K pot the bridge is too bright.

The way that I resolved it on my Tele which has a mini-humbucker in the neck and a noiseless bridge was to get creative with the wiring to compensate for each pickups peculiarities. I used a passive high pass filter (capacitor+resistor) on the neck position to keep the bass reasonable and a resistor on the volume control so the the bridge pickup sees a 333K load while the neck sees a 500K load.

Tele neck pickup criticisms:
      Tele neck - Too weak
      Lipstick Tube - Too weak
      Strat neck - Too loud
      Mini humbucker - Too dark
      Full humbucker - Too dark and loud
      P90 - Too Dark
      Attached Files
      Last edited by idsnowdog; 02-20-2015, 05:21 PM.

Comment

The trick is to use a cool vintage style humbucker and a hotter than vintage, beefy sounding bridge pickup. 500k pots all round with an extra 510k resistor for the bridge pickup so both pickups see the correct load and they match/balance beautifully.

Worked for me,,,but i have no idea what pickups keef used and how he configured it. Albert collins is also famous for a hum/sing tele, but he reckons he never used the neck pickup except for a few special effects like when he was mimicing a woman talking with his guitar.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Wow, sounds precarious! I'm noticing in the 72 tour movie, Keith's regular tele has, i believe, a neck mini bucker.
          I hadn't considered the possible imbalance of signal.

Later that decade, if Keith ever had an iconic axe, it would be his black Tele-like thing, which ... If memory serves has a neck humbucker with the displaced pole pieces; but I haven't owned Fenders, so I didn't consider it would have one volume pot.

Thank you Gentlemen & Scholars!
          ••••••••••••••••••••••
          4 hb (80's rawk) comparison (PG8-DSD-Ant-JB)
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CCULONDTzI
          VAN HALEN gtr tone: 10 Cheats
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcaTtAFnpWE
          Dunc Dist Demo
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWbO7NvEpk0

Comment

i have a duncan antiquity II firebird pup in the neck of my tele and a custom wound 8k tele bridge pup and they match really well with 250k controls. i agree with snowdog about full sized buckers though, they sound too dark with 250k controls and a vintage type tele bridge sounds too thin and tinny with 500k

Comment

You can also fine tune a full sized humbucker to the neck position by turning the pickup so that the screw coil faces the bridge, using a pickup with 12 adjustable poles, changing from fillister to hex poles and lastly changing the magnet to a A4 or A3.

Comment

I put a Phat cat in mine with a tapped Quarter pounder in the bridge..Sounds great in all positions with use of volume & tone knobs.

Comment

Jazz sounds fine with 250k, I tend to keep the neck pickup pretty low to help balance the volume as well.

Comment

A little late to the party, but I have good luck doing this with a modified broadcaster wiring. It allows you to use one of the knobs as a blend knob.

Positions on the Switch were:
                    Neck (dark)
                    Neck only
                    Bridge + Neck blend

I did a full right up here.

Comment

Well, haven't played mine yet, since it's being setup by my tech.

Going with an ESP LTD TE-212, with a Hot Lead Stack STK-T2b in the bridge and an Alnico II Pro APH-1n in the neck, with Vol/Tone/3-way switch and independent On/On/On DPDT switches for each pickup, for Series/Parallel/Split wiring, and a 500k/250k mod, allowing 500k for humbucker sounds and 250k for split sounds.

When ready, I'll post a review, and hopefully some sound clips.
                      Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                        You can also fine tune a full sized humbucker to the neck position by turning the pickup so that the screw coil faces the bridge, using a pickup with 12 adjustable poles, changing from fillister to hex poles and lastly changing the magnet to a A4 or A3.
                        It looks like Keith's Mcawber does exactly this.

I've always thought a stacked bridge (like a BG-1400) and a vintage output HB, both setup to split, would be a fun setup.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I'm about to start a build (Andy Summers Tele) that'l get a '%9 in the neck, and a Vintage Tele Stack in the bridge. 500k pots should do the trick...
                          "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Yep.

1996 Fender Tex Mex Telecaster Special. Stock neck pickup and a Van Zandt Vintage Plus in the bridge.

Warmoth body, AllParts TMO-V neck, BG custom winds (underwound BG Bucker neck, '60s style in the bridge with raised D&G and overwound a tad).
                            Nope...

Comment

Working...
                            X