banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Broken Guitar Giveaway Thread. Good Karma To Musos who can't afford decent guits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Broken Guitar Giveaway Thread. Good Karma To Musos who can't afford decent gu

Just one more idea, maybe somebody could pre-wire the body with all the electronics done and then somebody could pre-load the neck, and then whoever has the guts to set it up can put it together and set it up. I'm one of those people that loves to tinker with guitars. Unfortunately I can't even afford a simple $50 guitar to mod the hell out of. So I say maybe the first partscaster could go to me, and I can spread the idea around.
    Gear
    Organs: 1972-73 Conn 632 "Serenade" analog theater organ, 1967 Hammond H-111 (not sounding but working), '72 Hammond T-524 + my '71 Hammond L-112 across the country.
    Synths: Roland D-20, Kawai K11, Yamaha QS300
    Leslie Cabinets: 1975 Leslie 825 and 1974 Leslie 705.
    Guitars: Monterey Stage Series bitsa, 1991 Charvel CX-291 bitsa, 70s Hondo acoustic and a ton of parts.
    Pedalboard: Home made DJ case thing conversion with a lot of budget pedals on it.
    Amps: Fender Sidekick Reverb 35

Comment

Re: The Broken Guitar Giveaway Thread. Good Karma To Musos who can't afford decent gu

Originally posted by SrDeMaFp View Post
      I got a ton of parts. I'll throw down. Great idea, BTW!
      I would be happy to pitch in as well. Just gotta get the details sorted out. Got one member with a tele neck and the OP sounds like they want a strat. Maybe a hybrid? Might be a take what you can get kind of deal. But just judging from what people are saying with finish work and decals ect..sounds like it would be an awesome guitar no matter what.

I do not have a body or neck at the moment so once we know what kind of guitar it would be we could go from there. I might be able to come up with some electronics. Just give me some advance notice.

Comment

I love good karma, but I don't understand rule #1 & #2. Why can't I give away a broken Fender Strat. Or Les Paul for that matter? Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarglynn View Post
          I would be happy to pitch in as well. Just gotta get the details sorted out. Got one member with a tele neck and the OP sounds like they want a strat. Maybe a hybrid? Might be a take what you can get kind of deal. But just judging from what people are saying with finish work and decals ect..sounds like it would be an awesome guitar no matter what.

I do not have a body or neck at the moment so once we know what kind of guitar it would be we could go from there. I might be able to come up with some electronics. Just give me some advance notice.
          A Tellocaster! I like it.
          Gear
          Organs: 1972-73 Conn 632 "Serenade" analog theater organ, 1967 Hammond H-111 (not sounding but working), '72 Hammond T-524 + my '71 Hammond L-112 across the country.
          Guitars: Monterey Stage Series bitsa, 1991 Charvel CX-291 bitsa, 70s Hondo acoustic and a ton of parts.
          Pedalboard: Home made DJ case thing conversion with a lot of budget pedals on it.

Comment

I'd recommend that people figure out logistics. If everyone that donates parts and the assembler is in the USA, it should probably go to someone in the USA. Shipping a guitar overseas will quickly become expensive, unless people want to chip in for shipping as well.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Well.. It also applies to overseas forum bros. So don't exclude us Aussies and UK guys. There's a lot of musicians out there that can't even afford a $99 pack.
              Gear

Comment

Not really sure you can call someone a "musician" if they can't afford a $99 starter guitar...
                Originally posted by dg27
                Salad plates are aerodynamically more effective than dinner plates, which are too heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarFanatic View Post
                  Well.. It also applies to overseas forum bros. So don't exclude us Aussies and UK guys. There's a lot of musicians out there that can't even afford a $99 pack.
                  Shipping a guitar to the UK or Australia can easily hit $150. (For some reason shipping to the UK costs more than most of Europe.) Just something to keep in mind. Granted, you could always beg other Australian members to put together a free guitar for you.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                  @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I would gladly do assembly and setup. I'll donate a hardshell case once we decide what we are building.
                    I want more me in my tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                      Could we, and I am just suggesting this. Donate our spare parts and ship them all to one forum bro to slap them all together. Then we GIVE the finished guitar to someone in need of a good axe. A new dad, a youngster or someone overseas. I am willing to bet forum bros would be more willing to part with parts than a whole axe.
                      I second this, spare parts would probably get more forum members involved that a whole guitar required to come with strings.

Comment

Originally posted by firebirdguy72 View Post
                        Not really sure you can call someone a "musician" if they can't afford a $99 starter guitar...
                        Not to be argumentative but my family went through a time of layoffs and no work where my dad had to sell his gear to pay the bills. Eventually he was able to get back on his feet but according this statement when he sold his gear he was not a musician.

Your statement appears to say that money equals skill and ability. I know musicians who are 100 times better than I am yet Clint have two cents to rub together and are working as many odd jobs as they can t make ends meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Grenade View Post
                          I would gladly do assembly and setup. I'll donate a hardshell case once we decide what we are building.
                          Yes! A HSC is a must because if your instrument is not protected, it will wear out faster.
                          I already have one HSC myself but that's an $80 hard case I bought at a now defunct music store. It works for what I want it to do but tbh every one of my guitars should need a hardshell case. Even if it is crappy. Don't you agree? and good work on providing assembly and setup, btw.
                          Gear

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                            Not to be argumentative but my family went through a time of layoffs and no work where my dad had to sell his gear to pay the bills. Eventually he was able to get back on his feet but according this statement when he sold his gear he was not a musician.

Your statement appears to say that money equals skill and ability. I know musicians who are 100 times better than I am yet Clint have two cents to rub together and are working as many odd jobs as they can t make ends meet.
                            I don't recall saying money equals skill. My point was that if you're good enough at your craft you're gonna invest in some good tools... whether it be music or anything else. if you're good enough you're going to make sure you've got a quality instrument to play... In my mind the word musician means someone who plays music for a living... Chances are if you play for a living then you've got the gear to back you up. You may not agree with my definition of what a musician is but that's why I wrote what I wrote... very sorry to hear your dad had to sell his gear... Hope he didn't sell anything he couldn't replace...
                            Last edited by firebirdguy72; 03-08-2015, 03:35 PM.
                            Originally posted by dg27
                            Salad plates are aerodynamically more effective than dinner plates, which are too heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by firebirdguy72 View Post
                              I don't recall saying money equals skill. My point was that if you're good enough at your craft you're gonna invest in some good tools... whether it be music or anything else. if you're good enough you're going to make sure you've got a quality instrument to play... In my mind the word musician means someone who plays music for a living... Chances are if you play for a living then you've got the gear to back you up. You may not agree with my definition of what a musician is but that's why I wrote what I wrote... very sorry to hear your dad had to sell his gear... Hope he didn't sell anything he couldn't replace...
                              I know people who play music for a living and are going to school. All of their money is going to college and they couldn't afford a $99 anything. According to Webster's dictionary a Musician is: "a person who writes, sings, or plays music" with an expanded definition to include: "a composer, conductor, or performer of music; especially : instrumentalist"

According to Webster's Dictionary I personally would differentiate what you are describing as a professional musician. Professional: "relating to a job that requires special education, training, or skill : done or given by a person who works in a particular profession : paid to participate in a sport or activity."

And honesty, in the grand scheme of themes it doesn't matter the word choice. I did use the word appear because you didn't specifically say "money = skill"; rather, one could draw that conclusion from saying a person who can't afford a $99 guitar can't really be called a musician. (And as a side note, I love lighthearted debates, so definitely not a personal attack on you by any means!"

I appreciate that–dad was never able to get himself to order another Wayne (Wayne Charvel's current guitar brand) after selling his 3, one was a custom built exactly as he ordered with Wayne's signature on it. He has taken a back step from music but doesn't regret taking care of his family. Now that I am done with college I was able to give him an American Fender Strat that he absolutely loves–so while its not a Wayne its at least the nicest Fender I've ever played and he absolutely loves it.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarFanatic View Post
                                JUnfortunately I can't even afford a simple $50 guitar to mod the hell out of. So I say maybe the first partscaster could go to me, and I can spread the idea around.
                                So the idea is... We pitch in and build you a guitar... then you will promote the idea to other people? I know you have a squier and an acoustic. Why do you NEED a partscaster to mod? I thought the idea was to get an instrument to someone who NEEDS it?
                                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Working...
                                X