banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Broken Guitar Giveaway Thread. Good Karma To Musos who can't afford decent guits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Broken Guitar Giveaway Thread. Good Karma To Musos who can't afford decent gu

It's really a shame this good idea was conceived with ulterior motives. I would have loved to contribute, but if it's going to someone that's looking for a handout from fellow SDUGF members than I won't be interested in donating... however If it is going to someone truly in need of an instrument than I'd be happy to give what I can...
    Originally posted by dg27
    Salad plates are aerodynamically more effective than dinner plates, which are too heavy.

Comment

Re: The Broken Guitar Giveaway Thread. Good Karma To Musos who can't afford decent gu

Maybe a worthy recipient should be identified before moving further?

Though my concern there is usually the people who need this sort of thing the most arent the types to hang out on gear forums.
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I reread the OP on this thread to make sure I wasnt missing something. I'm scratching my head a bit over this idea.

Originally posted by GuitarFanatic View Post
        1. It must not be major branded.
        Why? what purpose does this serve?
        2. It must be unique, and odd.
        If someone needs an instrument does it benefit them that it be odd or common if they need to repair it later? Seems unnecessary.
        3. Have fun giving away guitars to people.
        Ok sure
        4. You must at least include strings with the guitar.
        If I'm giving someone a free guitar without strings and they say "nope dont want it without strings" they can go suck buttermilk seems ungrateful to me.
        5. Be nice. ^_^
        Given
        6. You can give away any kind of configuration guitar, whether it be SSS, HSS, HSH or HH, or HS or any config.
        This is good
        7. Most of all, show your appreciation!
        Wait... show my appreciation? Shouldnt the recipient be appreciative? Wouldnt those doing the sharing be showing their empathy?

I'm down with the idea of helping bros out but just seems the idea has some goofy restrictions in it...

I say we find someone who needs help. Then figure out how to help them.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
          Though my concern there is usually the people who need this sort of thing the most arent the types to hang out on gear forums.
          Yeah, and if they did most wouldn't chime up saying "hey I guitar-less and can't afford $99 bucks for a guitar"...so I think its a great idea but don't see how it would get into the hands of a deserving member...

Comment

I think it should go to someone other than a forum member looking for a free guitar. Charity or a school trying to get a music program together is more legit.
            Originally posted by Virtual Kevorkian
            Being tighter than the JB is like being tighter than Jenna Jameson... it's just not hard to do.
            I agree, The Duncan JB has a tone comparable to Jenna Jameson's snizz, blown out like a flat tire.

You don't want this gear list.............

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
              Maybe a worthy recipient should be identified before moving further?

This ^

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
              Yeah, and if they did most wouldn't chime up saying "hey I guitar-less and can't afford $99 bucks for a guitar"...so I think its a great idea but don't see how it would get into the hands of a deserving member...
              And almost exactly what I was going to say.. I was looking here(didn't get an acc here until after) way before I got my first guitar, but I would have never said that I didn't have one.. I love the idea, but I think it's going to prove really hard to find someone deserving, as both of whom I quoted stated.

Comment

GuitarFanatic. Nathan is this you?
                I want more me in my tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Grenade View Post
                  GuitarFanatic. Nathan is this you?
                  Yes.

Comment

Well that explains a lot. My offer still stands if we find someone who truly needs it.
                    I want more me in my tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Grenade View Post
                      Well that explains a lot. My offer still stands if we find someone who truly needs it.
                      I think I am missing something here...lol

Comment

So I say maybe the first partscaster could go to me
                        Hold up... So the "Good Karma" is to give YOU a free guitar?? If this were going to a charity, auctioned off, or even a forum brother that had lost everything due to fire, flood, or what have you, then hell yeah I'm good with it. But if this is just to get us to build you a guitar, screw that.. I worked my ass off for mine, all of mine, and my kids and the one Ive gave my sister for christmas... suck it up buttercup. You can too.
                        Last edited by Jermo3178; 03-09-2015, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                          Shipping a guitar to the UK or Australia can easily hit $150. (For some reason shipping to the UK costs more than most of Europe.) Just something to keep in mind. Granted, you could always beg other Australian members to put together a free guitar for you.
                          I have shipped a few guitars to Greece from my old home in Minnesota. Using USPS's cheapest option in a skb hardshell case using a box that fits the case like a glove each guitar cost $120. My bass was $140 in a hardshell case manufactured by SKB for Fender. So yeah, I agree, overseas shipping gets expensive.
                          Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Jermo3178 View Post
                            Hold up... So the "Good Karma" is to give YOU a free guitar?? If this were going to a charity, auctioned off, or even a forum brother that had lost everything due to fire, flood, or what have you, then hell yeah I'm good with it. But if this is just to get us to build you a guitar, screw that.. I worked my ass off for mine, all of mine, and my kids and the one Ive gave my sister for christmas... suck it up buttercup. You can too.
                            My understanding is the OP has a guitar. A Squier can't be modified? I think we should find somebody who really needs a guitar, even if it is not a forum brother or sister. There are thousands of kids out there with dreams of playing guitar so I am sure it would not be difficult to find one who dreams of playing but cannot afford one or their parents cannot afford one.

Me too. I worked my butt off to buy my first, second, third and every guitar since. About 11 years after I began my journey as a musician I received a guitar body as a Christmas gift once, that is about the only guitar (part) that was ever just given to me. Everything else I earned. I actually appreciate this because when you earn something you appreciate it and care for it more IMO. I was fortunate enough to find enough work to do this though, there are some people and kids out there who may not have these options or be old enough to get a job.

To the OP: paper route, pushing shopping carts, mowing lawns, raking leaves or even getting a band together with your current equipment and earning some gigs are good ways to earn money to buy gear at your age. Unless you have a physical handicap of some sort that makes any of these things difficult I would encourage you to break a sweat to earn some gear. You will learn some valuable lessons about life, yourself and appreciation of a hard day's work that way.
                            Last edited by Snake Aces; 03-09-2015, 08:41 PM.
                            Soundcloud

Comment

Unfortunately I can't even afford a simple $50 guitar to mod the hell out of. So I say maybe the first partscaster could go to me
                              If you can't afford a $50 guitar how could you afford to "mod the hell out of" a guitar? Modding includes pickups, pots pickguards etc... If you can't afford a guitar how the hell can you afford to mod one? And since you want to mod then why not just mod the Squier you have?
                              Originally posted by dg27
                              Salad plates are aerodynamically more effective than dinner plates, which are too heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
                                My understanding is the OP has a guitar. A Squier can't be modified? I think we should find somebody who really needs a guitar, even if it is not a forum brother or sister. There are thousands of kids out there with dreams of playing guitar so I am sure it would not be difficult to find one who dreams of playing but cannot afford one or their parents cannot afford one.

Me too. I worked my butt off to buy my first, second, third and every guitar since. About 11 years after I began my journey as a musician I received a guitar body as a Christmas gift once, that is about the only guitar (part) that was ever just given to me. Everything else I earned. I actually appreciate this because when you earn something you appreciate it and care for it more IMO. I was fortunate enough to find enough work to do this though, there are some people and kids out there who may not have these options or be old enough to get a job.

To the OP: paper route, pushing shopping carts, mowing lawns, raking leaves or even getting a band together with your current equipment and earning some gigs are good ways to earn money to buy gear at your age. Unless you have a physical handicap of some sort that makes any of these things difficult I would encourage you to break a sweat to earn some gear. You will learn some valuable lessons about life, yourself and appreciation of a hard day's work that way.
                                Ah.. That band thing I'm trying to get off the ground, I've played a few gigs before but those were unpaid. I told the owners of the hotel I play at to probably pay me $10 a tune?? That's if that's a justifiable price. We pay probably 10% or 20% more than the US does for pickups and pots, since the AUD is not worth a dollar over in the US.
                                Gear
                                Organs: 1972-73 Conn 632 "Serenade" analog theater organ, 1967 Hammond H-111 (not sounding but working), '72 Hammond T-524 + my '71 Hammond L-112 across the country.
                                Synths: Roland D-20, Kawai K11, Yamaha QS300
                                Leslie Cabinets: 1975 Leslie 825 and 1974 Leslie 705.
                                Guitars: Monterey Stage Series bitsa, 1991 Charvel CX-291 bitsa, 70s Hondo acoustic and a ton of parts.
                                Pedalboard: Home made DJ case thing conversion with a lot of budget pedals on it.
                                Amps: Fender Sidekick Reverb 35

Comment

Working...
                                X