This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quality gear... who knew?

JB Good on you finding something you like and it really speaks to you. Play it loudly and well. Here's to your next Cool guitar!
    Aint no pro but I know what I like....
    Guitar to sound output:
    Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
      So you made a controversial thread and are surprised by where it went?
      I fail to see how the person responsible for turning this thread into a "controversial thread" can place the blame on JB_From_Hell.
      Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
        I, personally, can't afford a great guitar right now. So if I buy a new instrument (which hasn't happened in two years)
        On that note:

We haven't been financially set for me to buy any guitars for a long time. The last guitar I bought was the aforementioned Schecter 5 years ago for $100.

I happened upon this Strat, and lucked into it for $400. Because I went awhile without buying any cheapos, I happened to have enough money to jump on a killer deal.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
          Drex, you are really making an idiot of yourself here.....even by your own standards.

The OP was obviously talking about his own experiences here.....lets face it you can't talk from someone elses experience as its impossible to do. Everyone else can tell that he's saying his own guitars were the topic of the thread and that there was no generalisation.

Why is it that whenever these same topics get discussed that we have to have the same misguided rabid foam spitting rant from you??
          Well-stated!!!
          "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

And not an UIG member in sight....
            sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
            - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally Posted by DreX Blah Bah blah blah
              Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
              I think you have the highest noise-to-rubbish ratio on the board.
              Fixed
              sigpic

Comment

You can revise history all you want, say you meant this or that all along, but "budget guitars" is a categorical label, as is "MIA" guitars, and when you say a guitar from category A changed my mind about guitars from category B, you've made a generalized statement.

OP also said:

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                In the past, setting up a guitar always took me quite a few tries to get right
                If OP had said "these particular guitars", then he would be limiting the scope of his statement to only include the few he has on hand, but to say "setting up a guitar" directly infers that setting up any "budget guitar" was supposedly difficult for OP, and that of course all this changed once he purchase an "MIA" example. The only reason anyone chooses to see it otherwise is because they agree with OP's generalization, not because they think OP isn't making any generalizations.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Along the usual butthurt lines...

Ironically enough, Drex reminds me a lot of guys like Edgecrusher or Securb (which itself is ironic because they can't stand Drex). Edgecrusher read my recommendation to use an EQ to boost someone's amp and about had a tantrum over it. Securb took advice of mine to be "snobbish" and launched a coordinated attack, etc...

I don't think any of them even play guitar... or at best, noodle on the weekends.

And none of them have a clip of their playing.

(That's part of the problem with the internet; people can pretend to be something they're not.)

So, what I'm saying is we wouldn't have half the butthurt going on that we have if the people who don't really play their guitar would stop getting butthurt over the personal experiences and opinions of those who do play theirs.

This guy states he had been playing what was essentially crap for a while and he finally got something good and now he's happy. If that isn't the feel-good story of the year (so far) then I don't know what is. And there's nothing controversial about it... everyone is a "snob" or "corksniffer" to varying degrees about their own gear; it's called "caring about how you sound and your own personal preferences". It's called "having an opinion about their own preferences and gear based on their own experience". And nothing wrong with that.

Perpetually offended people need to sack up. Or at least go practice.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                      Along the usual butthurt lines...

Ironically enough, Drex reminds me a lot of guys like Edgecrusher or Securb (which itself is ironic because they can't stand Drex). Edgecrusher read my recommendation to use an EQ to boost someone's amp and about had a tantrum over it. Securb took advice of mine to be "snobbish" and launched a coordinated attack, etc....
                      You are a freaking joke. My musical resume dwarfs anything you have done with your crappy 80s cover band. I never said your advice was snobbish, I said you are a troll and by the looks of this post you still are one. I am going to cut it off here because I refuse to go back and forth with an idiot.

Comment

I don't think any of them even play guitar... or at best, noodle on the weekends.
                        Don't let your imagination run away with you. I don't think anyone here would be passionate about guitars, let alone the tone they produce, if they didn't like to play them. I could tell you I play for about an hour a day, you don't have to believe me, but how people spend their free time shouldn't be your concern to begin with. Leo Fender was very involved with technical guitar details and he didn't even play guitar.

And none of them have a clip of their playing.
                        Listen to pickupdemos | SoundCloud is an audio platform that lets you listen to what you love and share the sounds you create.

Mostly simple chords, but the point wasn't to show off skillz. I have other videos and clips of actual compositions, but you must be able to appreciate why I would not want to share them here.

(That's part of the problem with the internet; people can pretend to be something they're not.)
                        Ultimately it doesn't matter who people are IRL. Things are either said that are of value and promote further conversation, or they aren't, it's that simple.

This guy states he had been playing what was essentially crap for a while and he finally got something good and now he's happy. If that isn't the feel-good story of the year (so far) then I don't know what is. And there's nothing controversial about it... everyone is a "snob" or "corksniffer" to varying degrees about their own gear; it's called "caring about how you sound and your own personal preferences". It's called "having an opinion about their own preferences and gear based on their own experience". And nothing wrong with that.

Perpetually offended people need to sack up. Or at least go practice.
                        If someone googles "budget guitar vs MIA", this thread might turn up, and it needs a dissenting opinion to suggest that you don't have to spend $1000 to avoid 'dead frets' and set up issues. I make zero apologies for that.

Comment

Thanks to everybody who had something nice or at least relevant to the topic to say.

I stopped at Guitar Center and got a tremelo arm for it. For $12, I'm sure it will be OK for a minute, but at some point I intend to get a Callaham block and arm upgrade.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

If it wasn't for the imports I grew up with, I wouldn't have a clue about how to set up guitars, how to select and install pickups caps and pots etc how to wrap a string around a crappy machine head for better tuning stability and so on. I would never have learnt any of these things if my first guitar was a £3000 one.
                            our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
                            'Cause all the girls are sluts,
                            And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                              And when you're able to afford a good guitar, that becomes the trade off. Would you rather spend $300-500 on something plus another $500 in parts or would you like to buy a guitar with everything in it already. If you enjoy modding, then I guess buying the Squier or Epiphone would be more enjoyable because you get to mod the guitar to what you want.
                              At the end of the day, for many folks, owning guitars is not about the music as the thrill of the chase. For some it's finding the super-obscure instrument or booteek treasure. For others, it's about maxing out the potential of a particular instrument. I try not to worry about what other people do with their money but after about 15 years on various guitar discussion boards I know that different people are searching for different things. Oftentimes, the search is for e-cred as much as for a great tool to perform a given task.

Whatev.
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                              My Music

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                                Thanks to everybody who had something nice or at least relevant to the topic to say.

I stopped at Guitar Center and got a tremelo arm for it. For $12, I'm sure it will be OK for a minute, but at some point I intend to get a Callaham block and arm upgrade.
                                Callaham stuff is the bees knees, and he's a great dude. 2 of my strats have Callaham parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X