banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Low gain" Marshall style pedal options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Low gain" Marshall style pedal options?

It seems like a lot of the "Plexi" style pedals available really are achieving a modified plexi level of gain, rather than coloring the signal like how a true non-master volume plexi amp sounds. What would be a good option for a good low to mid gain Marshall type pedal to take my Princeton Reverb into that tonal range?

I'd use this mainly with Strats with low to mid output pickups, and I have a variety of fuzzes, ODs and boosts that will be used in front of it to provide more gain. The pedals on my mind are:

-Wampler Plexi-Drive (deluxe)
    -Lovepedal Purple Plexi
    -Xotic SL Drive
    -Ramble FX Marvel Drive

Each of them has a slightly different take on this type of tone, but you can only gather so much info from Youtube videos. Those that have used or currently use any of these pedals, how do you think they work for lower gain vintage and 70's style Marshall tones?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Re: "Low gain" Marshall style pedal options?

The only one I have owned or tried that did authentic plexi levels of gain is the Bogner Blue in Plexi mode. All the others go way overboard. Fantastic pedal. A zvex distortron/bor is also pretty good.

Here is a clip of my blue running directly into the power section of my tm18.

This is the Bogner Blue pedal into the loop of my TM18 using it's power amp ONLY. Les Paul 2014 Traditional with 59 Tributes, and a EVH/Heritage G12M from Celestion.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I haven't compared any of those so take my experience with a grain of salt but: the original governor sounds beautiful at lower levels of gain... might be worth checking out.

Comment

An unmodded lower gain Plexi sound is not a far cry from a blackface fender with a n overdrive pedal...

Are you Mic'ing the amp or no? If so you can get close... But a little 10" open back 12 watt amp isn't gonna ever fully emulate a 100w head driving a 4x12...
        Last edited by the toad; 03-28-2015, 02:33 PM.

Comment

This is my home practice, jamming at friends, quick grab setup. I agree about the Hendrix/Fender thing, the PR does a great job for the cleaner Hendrix tunes. Right now a Tube Screamer style pedal into it sounds awesome, I'd just like to also have the Woodstock/BOG vibe too. I understand that a 12W Fender open back combo won't ever be able to sound like a big stack, I'm just going for the overall flavor.

(I think a board with a fuzz, TS and Marshall style box would be perfect for classic rock, blues and a little alternative jamming)
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

PaulC's Timmy!

B
            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

catalinbred dls is a great plexi marshall type pedal. the super bass mode does just what you want

Comment

My all time favorite low gain pedal is an original first version black box Marshall Blues Breaker. The Snouse black box is a 100% clone from what I've read. MI Audio Crunch Box and EH Glove are also good for (higher gain) Marshally tones, The Glove was a real surprise....lots of good tones to be had.

Comment

i really like the wampler plexi drive.
                  Quality riffs in about a minute...
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
                    PaulC's Timmy!

B

So very many marshalls in a box, none of them bad, some more famous than others.
                    catlinbrad, wampler, weehbo, mi Audio, lovepedal, the original marshalls, zvex, rockett,6 degrees, Duncan DLS,the original power grid, radial, etc. etc.
                    Last edited by MetalManiac; 03-28-2015, 07:51 PM.
                    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I am digging the Carl Martin Plexi-Tone through my Mesas. The one caveat is that it is a large pedal, but they do make a smaller version.

I'm kinda looking for the same thing, something that will change the TONALITY of a Mesa, and make it more Marshall-y. I've heard good things about some of the Tech 21 pedals: British, Oxford, Leeds and Plexi; and also the Tonebone pedals.

I don't need a lot of gain...but I'm looking for that KRANG!

Bill
                      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

box of rock? i have the double rock, and its a spot on jtm45/plexi tone

Comment

The following is my opinion, and that said, of course there may be disagreements with it.

There is a huge difference between the results (with valve amps ... just a reminder) obtained at low volumes and at high volumes. At low volumes, when the power tubes don't do their saturation thing, them amp in a box kinda pedals may sound great. I've been into them some time ago. Yet, at high volumes, the real tone of the amp (filter caps, power tubes, speaker) starts to dominate, in my opinion. And many of the amp in a box pedals, start sounding not that much different. Their differences at high volumes, to me, are primarily to be found in the resulting compression, softness/responsiveness of bass (then again I am keeping all them aspects about pickups and their mags fixed), and eq. So two amp in a box pedals that sound great and different at low volumes, I have experienced, sound quite similar at high volumes.

Timmy, from what I understand, is built knowing all of this. PaulC is hell of a guy, he has a Tweed 5E3 mod (Ampeg mod) which is accepted by many of them amp maniacs... Just search for it in Metro forum or Amp Garage. That pedal is sorta clean to medium gain boost with bass and treble. So itself is not a big thing, but when it comes working with the amp at high volumes... Well that's where the gold mine is. It is not expensive, that's the other thing... A bit hard to come by, due to the demand side... Anyways, it lacks compression, you gotta get it from the amp. If you wanna have a bit compression Xotic BB Andy Timmons is good actually.

TC's spark (the big version) is also very cool in that regard. Again, not much compression.

Then, there is also Lovepedal's OD11, a bit more TS type of sound but still good. Very similar to Timmy. For a while there was a quarrel with PaulC and Sean, because OD11 seems to be "extensively" inspired by the very Timmy design... Then them TGP admins took that thread somewhere where it is not observable to the public.

So, my humble opinion is that... You have a Princeton Reverb. Very good amp! 6V6's... Very cool. And if you can use it at high volumes, Timmy (or a close alternative) would be able to help you "shape" the whole combination a bit more Marshall sounding. At low volumes, that pedal sounds good as well... It's gain is very useable at lows too... I am powering mine at 18V to get more harmonics and all...

BTW Giggity is cool as well, at high volumes too... It can do all this, and also do "unboost"... make your amp clean. It is not advertised like this, but I think that's a mistake. The "unboost" thing is exactly what made me an addict. I am using a 5E3 clone with HBs... And the amp has all the gain, love it. But not that suitable for rythm work. So the Giggity is washing off the gain, adding sparkle and air... Anyway, that's not the subject.

Hope this helps and you find what you are looking for.

B

Comment

The following vids of mine were done with a Blues Jr. at high volumes...

Amp 11's regular side is the same as the OD11, hence very similar to a Timmy... And that I hope would give you some ideas... My demo guitar is a Melody Maker with a Brobucker in the bridge, though...

Others

Dear all,This is a comparison of Okko Diablo Gain + pedal with a Lovepedal Amp11. I thank Pluton Music for providing me with this opportunity.The equipment u...

The following is done with a strat and ZVex's pedals...

This is a demo made with the help of the good people of Pluton Music. The recording is done at home, with the stuff (cam) I possess. That is, its not that pr...

B

PS. GitarPedal is a TGP wannabe Turkish equipment forum with which I am associated. Not a store and all...
                            Last edited by dr.barlo; 03-29-2015, 07:10 AM.

Comment

I just received a Ramble Fx Marvel Drive and have been playing around with it for 3 days now.
                              Really love the gain range with 9V, also loves to be pushed with a TS or treble booster.
                              Using it at 18V has more headroom and less compression.
                              .........for 159$.
                              Hamer,Fender Kramer,Epiphone,Yamaha
                              Full Shred,'78 EVH,Custom 5,Alnico Pro II's,Vintage Rails,STK-1,STK-2.

Comment

Working...
                              X