Gaps in the product line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaps in the product line?

Just wondering what you guys felt might be some under-represented segments in the Seymour Duncan product line. This is a good question to ask now and again.

There have been a lot of interesting things released in the couple of years on both ends of the spectrum - from the stuff aimed at extreme metal (Nazgul/Sentient, Black Winters) to stuff designed for vintage-inspired tastes (Whole Lotta Humbuckers), to something in between (59/Custom Hybrid)... But I wonder if there's anything missing.

Have you recently wanted to buy an SD but went with something else because, ultimately, we don't offer what you needed for a particular project?
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Re: Gaps in the product line?

A neck pickup specifically designed for the 59/custom hybrid seems to be a requested product, we're voting for a forum pickup currently to fit that need though.

I didn't bother asking anyone with more experience than I had with the seymour duncan line up, but recently I was looking for a very "liquidy" neck pickup, and maybe it was just my search terms, but I kept reading about the dimarzio liquifire and air norton for that, with very little mention of a fitting seymour duncan product. I don't know if its a hole or if there is a different word for what I wanted that would help me find a duncan product with that sound.

Comment

I'm admittedly curious why the '78 hadn't jumped from the custom shop into regular production. Is there something than doesn't translate onto the production line equipment?

Also, a lot of people look for recommendations for single coils to go with bridge humbuckers. How about some HSS sets to go with the HH sets.

Sent from my Moto X 2014 using Tapatalk
      Nope...

Comment

In general, everything is AlNiCo 2 or 5, I wonder why there aren't more offerings that utilize other magnets, especially in the single coil side, where there is A5, A2, A5+A2, degaussed A2, degaussed A5... but no A3 or A4.

Comment

For me I would like to see a HSH set released. I know the PATB series offers that but maybe something with a more traditional look.
          Originally posted by KBliss
          WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
          Originally posted by trevorus
          The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

I think I'd be more interested in more Duncan Performer pickups than trying to cover more ground. Though I make more money than when I first started buying pickups, less of it is disposable now. With all the crap my kids are into, it's much more likely I'd buy a $35 Performer than a $70+ USA model.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Swyse View Post
              I was looking for a very "liquidy" neck pickup
              Purely a marketing term IMHO.

Comment

I'm actually in the market for a middle single coil that will work well with a Black Winter Set.
                For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

My biggest gripe is there's a lack of continuity in models and classifications across platforms, which I don't think makes any sense. For example there are three main classifications for Strat pickups vintage, custom and hot. However there isn't a direct equivalent for these models for Telecaster, Jaguar or Jazzmaster.

Holes in the product line:
                  • Tele pickup with SSL6 Custom specs
                  • Jaguar/Jazzmaster Custom
                  • Humbucker sized P90 Custom or Hot
                  • Tele pickup with JB Jr specs
                  • Tele pickup with Little Screamin Demon specs
                  Last edited by idsnowdog; 04-22-2015, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                    I'm actually in the market for a middle single coil that will work well with a Black Winter Set.
                    Do the current offerings fall short there?

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
                    Purely a marketing term IMHO.
                    That's the problem with asking for help identifying tonal gaps in the product line; there's a pickup for just about every desirable adjective, but there's not an adjective for every desirable pickup.

Comment

i was looking for a p90 sound from a tele bridge sized single coil like the reilander tp90 or the creamery tele90.
                      Quality riffs in about a minute...
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Non vintage sounding or based mid output neck humbuckers

preferably with short hex screws not the slug and fillister arrangement that SD so loves.
                        Last edited by Edgecrusher; 04-22-2015, 08:42 AM.
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Slash set with 4-conductors and quick-connect for easy swapping in Gibson Les Paul.

Comment

"Not enough DiMarzios"

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck
                              I don't know what you mean by that... I think I am on the same page with you.

But with SD bringing in peeps in the Djent genre and bringing in the Sentient and Pegasus to 6 stringers.... they are trying to get more dimarzio-y. Its a good market since most modern metal guys are moving from super duper high gain pups to mid range... since they are using modelers.
                              I'm seeing people ask for mid-output humbuckers with hex screws.

The interesting thing is that, I'd say most of the boutiques that nibble as SD's heels offer either near-vintage or "vintage correct", so I don't think there's a glut of vintage pickups, and in fact I don't think there's enough. You hear about how inconsistent winding on the Leesona winder led to all sort of various sounding PAF's, and let the highly consistent '59 model was supposed to represent the entirety of that category for a long time. Now they have the Seth Lover, the Antiquity, and the WLH, but those are still somewhat categorical; authentic new, authentic aged, and overwound, respectively. There are winders out there that seem to only exist on the reputation of their PAF replicas, to me that indicates that guitarists want more, even if it might look like there's a glut. So the question is, are the differences in PAFs overstated, or is the product line understated? I think LTKojak suggested simply offering the '59 with various magnets, for those who aren't willing for whatever reason to mod a pickup themselves, not a bad idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X