Gaps in the product line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gaps in the product line?

I wanted a P90 sized humbucker and went with the Dimarzio Super Distortion version, since SD only offers those as a Custom Shop offering. I would've loved a Duncan Custom in a P90 cover though.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post

That's the problem with asking for help identifying tonal gaps in the product line; there's a pickup for just about every desirable adjective, but there's not an adjective for every desirable pickup.
      On the contrary, there's no problem with asking when all you're interested in is each individual person's opinions.
      -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

I think LTKojak suggested simply offering the '59 with various magnets, for those who aren't willing for whatever reason to mod a pickup themselves, not a bad idea.
        We did just roll out the Build Your Own Pickup page on the Custom Shop site. While it's (admittedly) not well integrated into seymourduncan.com yet, I think this is a good start. Unfortunately this level of customization is going to put you squarely into custom shop / boutique pricing, which should be understandable given the amount of inventory we'd have to accumulate in order to scale something like a '59 with every magnet available.
        -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

i just want a 9.4k antiquity added to the line up

Comment

Originally posted by Swyse View Post
            I didn't bother asking anyone with more experience than I had with the seymour duncan line up, but recently I was looking for a very "liquidy" neck pickup, and maybe it was just my search terms, but I kept reading about the dimarzio liquifire and air norton for that, with very little mention of a fitting seymour duncan product. I don't know if its a hole or if there is a different word for what I wanted that would help me find a duncan product with that sound.
            I agree with this. I haven't tried every SD pickup but I've yet to play/hear one that responded and performed like the DiMarzio Liquifire. One of my main pickup combos is the DMZ Liquifire in the neck with the SD Screamin Demon in the bridge.
            Last edited by treyhaislip; 04-22-2015, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Standalone neck humbuckers. All of the ones SD offers are either part of a well thought out set (Full Shred, Black Winter, WLH, etc) or seemingly put in a set to make a set (Invader, Distortion). Don't get me wrong, I like all those pickups, especially the DDn, however the catalog is seriously lacking in medium output neck options. Most of it is either vintage ('59, etc) or balls out (DD, BW).

Comment

In general, everything is AlNiCo 2 or 5, I wonder why there aren't more offerings that utilize other magnets, especially in the single coil side, where there is A5, A2, A5+A2, degaussed A2, degaussed A5... but no A3 or A4.
                This. Some dedicated A3 and/or A4 humbuckers would be nice.
                A lot of the higher end retro Gibson line up uses A3 pickups (which aren't sold seperately as far as I know) and they sound pretty killer (even though a big part of that would be the actual guitar, but nevertheless...).

Comment

Not for me. I have found my go to pickup, the Pearly gates/'59 combo. I do also use the Full shred, JB, and Custom Custom and just recently tried the Perpetual Burn which I love. I wish SD would re-issue the Convertable Amp line. Pickup wise, I think I am covered.

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                    We did just roll out the Build Your Own Pickup page on the Custom Shop site. While it's (admittedly) not well integrated into seymourduncan.com yet, I think this is a good start. Unfortunately this level of customization is going to put you squarely into custom shop / boutique pricing, which should be understandable given the amount of inventory we'd have to accumulate in order to scale something like a '59 with every magnet available.
                    Like you said, this should be expected and should be no problem with people using it. When I talk with, say Warmoth, about the options I'm looking for in a new guitar body or neck, they are very clear with me of what they will do or what they feel uncomfortable doing. When it comes to off menu requests, I expect there to be some kind of charge for this request. People who want customization should pretty much be able to understand they will not get the custom shop item for the studio price. As long as the pricing is reasonable, most people seeking these custom requests probably will not have any problems with it.

As far as what I'm looking for in pickups, I'm usually pretty happy with the Jazz and Alnico II Pro humbuckers in most guitars. I would like to see a HSH set featuring a stacked single coil for split options where the stacked single coil has a nice volume match with the humbuckers. I'm looking to try the WLH set in a new guitar I have in production so I'm pretty stoked about that. I would probably be more inclined to use a Screamin Demon in some of my guitars if SD made a good neck option to pair with it. I also wonder why the '78 is not part of the standard line-up yet.
                    Last edited by Snake Aces; 04-22-2015, 10:13 AM.
                    Soundcloud

Comment

On the contrary, there's no problem with asking when all you're interested in is each individual person's opinions.
                      I said the problem lies within how people describe what they want versus what can be provided, I did not say there was anything wrong with opinion. If I say "I want a warm, sweet, articulate pickup", you might say "try the Antiquity", and I'll say "no no no, I mean warm like the APH-2 but with better cleans", then you say "you might like the Jazz", and I say, "ooooh too bright!", so there are cases where adjectives don't do justice what can be discovered through trial and error, and it seems that, for example, the use of A3 and A4 is an area of trial and error that hasn't been well explored in the standard product line sense.

Unfortunately this level of customization is going to put you squarely into custom shop / boutique pricing
                      which is why I suggested it be standard product line and not custom shop. If you don't forecast good sales, then so be it, but at that point any idea that might come up in the thread will be relegated to the custom shop and it's inevitable price point.

Comment

Honestly, the mad flailing about of people trying SO HARD to come up with some noteworthy design variances in the recent Forum Pickup threads has suggested to me that SD has got its bases pretty well covered.
                        ---------------------------
                        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

I would agree the bases are certainly fairly well covered, other than carrying all the DiMarzio, Gibson, and Fender pickups under the Seymour Duncan name, there really isn't a whole lot that can be done to fill gaps. But as we can see here there are certainly a few requests. One thing that was mentioned that I find noteworthy is Why wasn't the '78 ever made into a production model pickup. That's one of my all time favorite humbuckers and it would be great to have it a little more accessible, other than used or special ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
                          2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
                          Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                            Honestly, the mad flailing about of people trying SO HARD to come up with some noteworthy design variances in the recent Forum Pickup threads has suggested to me that SD has got its bases pretty well covered.
                            Maybe there's just certain kinds of businesses where your customers don't precisely know what they want until you give them some options, like the menu at a restaurant for example. They'll ask the customer how their food tasted, how well the wait staff treated you. rate your experience on a scale of 1 to 5... but you never see them ask customers for new menu ideas, and if they asked a room full of customers to design a new menu item by committee, an outcome like the Forum Pickup process might very well happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kac View Post
                              other than carrying all the DiMarzio, Gibson, and Fender pickups under the Seymour Duncan name, there really isn't a whole lot that can be done to fill gaps.
                              Which is to say, all the knowns are known, but the unknowns remain unknown.

Comment

In general, everything is AlNiCo 2 or 5, I wonder why there aren't more offerings that utilize other magnets, especially in the single coil side, where there is A5, A2, A5+A2, degaussed A2, degaussed A5... but no A3 or A4.

+1. Stock magnets aren't going to be the perfect magnet for every genre and every guitar. Duncan can add some 'new' models with no extra coil development or expense by using different magnets, as they did with the Custom and Jazz. They really should have Customs in regular production with A8's and UOA5's. Likewise a '59 set with an UOA5 in the bridge and A4 in the neck. Or an A2P set with A3's. Custom/'59 hybrid with a warmer magnet. JB with A2 or UOA5 for those who want a hot PU and aren't into '80's metal. How about a new Phat Cat set with a different set of magnets (to brighten the neck and beef up the bridge)? We've done a lot of testing with replacement magnets.

Also be nice to have a few Custom Shop PU's in production at production prices, like the '78 and Brobucker. Gibson finally came out of their slumber and introduced several PAF's. Why doesn't Duncan create some excitement with a flurry of new (easy-to-produce) PU's?
                                "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                                "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                                X