banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eddie Van Halen's Live Amp Settings With The 5150 III?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddie Van Halen's Live Amp Settings With The 5150 III?

I remember a few months ago (maybe a year or so ago) someone posted his "newer" live amp settings with his 5150 III. I remember kind of tripping out because my settings on my old 5150 were quite similar. Does anyone remember what thread those were in, or if whomever posted those, would you please post them again? I was thinking of trying them out with my Eleven Rack on one of their amp simulations that I use a lot. Thanks in advance!!

Re: Eddie Van Halen's Live Amp Settings With The 5150 III?

Oh yeah, the reason I mentioned that is because I recently listened to the Live Van Halen Tokyo Dome Album, and his guitar was smoking hot with tone.

Comment

I guess I will try these for the hell of it. I've gotten where nowadays I mostly just run everything at either all 6's or all 7's on my amps, and simulators, and go from there.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	d7fcc864-79d5-41cd-ad98-522c18cfb736.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	5785194
        Found this from a Van Halen Premierguitar rig rundown made a few years ago. They are supposed to be live back up amps dialed in to Eddies same settings. You can make them out decently, at least I can from my phone where I can zoom in.

The clean channel or channel one for most of them has the bass and mids back a bit towards 10 o clock and the treble is boosted to about 2 o clock with the gain and volume at about 10 or 11 o clock too.

On the overdrive/crunch channel 2, the lows seem straight up on most of them, the mids turned back a bit towards 10 o clock ish, and the highs slightly boosted to about 1 or 2 o clock. Now the thing that puzzles me is that the narrow end of the gain knob is on the bottom part of it, telling me the gain for channel 2 is dimed. But I could be looking at it wrong from this perspective and maybe the gain is around 10 or 11 o clock again. But yeah, looks like it is cranked on all of them to me.

The distortion/channel 3 eq settings are seemingly identical to the clean ones, but with the gain around 2 o clock now.

The presence knobs are all around 1 or 2 o clock.
        Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 05-11-2015, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Lol.....awesome

Comment

I edited in what I could see since it's harder to see from a normal computer screen where you can't zoom in as easily.

I edited it like a billion times because of various spelling mistakes and just general uncertainties. But it seems right now. Found this too, goes through the PA. And yep, the gain on channel 2 is maxed out!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	6d3e3954-ab28-4196-bfb0-38a0fc928168.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	5785195
            Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 05-11-2015, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Damn thats a lot of preamp tubes!!

Comment

now that you're computer's up and running - post up an eleven rack 5150 test sometime if you get a chance please.

Comment

Alot of 5150 III 100 watt users feel the 100 watt doesn't have enough gain on Channel 2 to really get his brown sound and they boost it even more with a pedal to get Ed's tone.. This was fixed with the 50 watt version which had added gain to channel 2... and subsequently the 5150 III 100 watt stealth, which has increased gain on Channel 2 from the prior 100 watt

Also, I copied Ed's live settings onto my 50 watt and was not happy with the tone- it seems his amps were modded a little further than what made it into production. On my 50 watt I pretty much put all the controls at 6 and nail his tone
                  Last edited by jmh151; 05-12-2015, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                    now that you're computer's up and running - post up an eleven rack 5150 test sometime if you get a chance please.
                    It doesn't have a 5150 model that I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                      Damn thats a lot of preamp tubes!!
                      That's because each channel has it's own gain circuit, but, iirc, they still share buffers and the PI.

Also, OP, I think Eddie runs the 5150 III Stealth these days. He also said in his recent Guitar World interview that there's a single channel EVH amp coming out that's based on his old Plexi.

Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 05-12-2015, 12:27 PM.
                      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                        It doesn't have a 5150 model that I know of.
                        oh, I see. this guy does some type of copy of one using effects and such, might be worth a shot sometime:

Comment

The first thing you do is send your 5150 to a dummy load of sorts. Then you hide a Marshall Plexi somewhere backstage so no one sees it. Get all your tone from the Marshall but display the 5150s onstage.

Comment

^^^^^^you must have not heard the new live album.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                              ^^^^^^you must have not heard the new live album.
                              I haven't, but I'll be seeing them in August.

I wasn't being (too) serious, either.

Comment

Working...
                              X