banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eddie Van Halen's Live Amp Settings With The 5150 III?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eddie Van Halen's Live Amp Settings With The 5150 III?

Originally posted by RStabler View Post
    The first thing you do is send your 5150 to a dummy load of sorts. Then you hide a Marshall Plexi somewhere backstage so no one sees it. Get all your tone from the Marshall but display the 5150s onstage.
    LOL!! Yeah, I was gonna be a wisea$$ too and say his 5150 III settings all set on off and the other amp is making the sound..

Id like to score one of the 5150 III 50 watters, but I need another amp like my kid needs to get in more trouble..
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
      That's because each channel has it's own gain circuit, but, iirc, they still share buffers and the PI.

Also, OP, I think Eddie runs the 5150 III Stealth these days. He also said in his recent Guitar World interview that there's a single channel EVH amp coming out that's based on his old Plexi.

https://youtu.be/0COXaAhjj50
      I would be all over that single channel EVH if it comes to fruition.
      Originally posted by Rockstar216
      Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Originally posted by Nacho8807 View Post
        I would be all over that single channel EVH if it comes to fruition.
        The way Eddie was talking in the interview, it's going to. He was talking about how his amp guy at Fender took his old Plexi tone, beefed it up, and gave it more sustain.

Time will tell.
        Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

The new Guitar world interview with the man teases about the "top secret" new evh amp coming out.. personally, Im curious to see what tonal diff that would have, as it seems the 5150 IIIs pretty much cop his tone. (pretty much) Personally, Id like to have an old Jose A modded marshall jcm 800 with a master volume.
          Not evh, but thats what would give me an eargasm..
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

"Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of the man's music or sound(don't get me wrong, I like it, just not hugely), but I would be interested in one of the 5150s for sure.

Comment

Love that amp

Comment

I have a 5150iii and honestly there ain't a bad sound in it.
                  I play several different guitars thru it and have the Green and Blue dialed in for Les Pauls and the Red dialed in for my LTD H1001 with Invaders.
                  I play my RG655 Prestige on all 3 channels because that guitar just sounds awesome thru anything..
                  I tend to like more mids with my Les Pauls and tend to roll back the mids on the Red channel.
                  I keep the bass low like on 9 oclock on all 3 channels because the amp is bottom heavy and is really boomy in drop D half step.
                  The treble is a 1 oclock on everything. The presence is at 1 oclock and the resonance is at 11 oclock and sometimes it goes down to 9 oclock.
                  I bought the 1x12 combo for my practice space and it is a fantastic amp! I liked it way better than the 2x12 I played. It was way punchier and almost has a 4x12 hit to it though obviously not as hard as a 4x12 but it's in your face and punchy..

Comment

I need one like I need more children, but %!!$@# I WANT one!! I REALLY love the clear knobs on that amp too. Obviously wouldnt do them all in clear, but for the vols or somethng..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

lol.. maby its just me but regardless of the settings on the exact amp an artist might have that one might be trying to replicate.. i would logically think that any thing in the signal chain would affect the sound.. to add another part to the equation.. a persons individual touch that comes from his playing style and/or his fingers and infact.. some will argue that "tha tonez comes from the fingerz"

granted i guess.. sometimes you might get close but.....it just seems like a futile quest.. if ya want to put the time and money into such a quest.. more power to ya..

not a big fan of EVH's music even though some of his early stuff was totally kick a$$.. still wouldnt be trying to copy/replicate his tone.. id say the same about any other guitarist that I like to listen to.. meh.. i feel the same about owning signature gear.. "Why?" "just because it works for them doesnt mean it will work for you."..and in some cases.. what companies sell as sig gear really isnt or if it..its only marginally so.. there are exceptions though

seriously.. no matter what i play through ,i always sound like me.. whether that's a good or bad thing.. that really depends ..lol

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                        I need one like I need more children, but %!!$@# I WANT one!! I REALLY love the clear knobs on that amp too. Obviously wouldnt do them all in clear, but for the vols or somethng..
                        I placed the clear knobs for a practical reason. I can find the volumes easier under low light and darker stages. It looks good like that aesthetically

Comment

Originally posted by GudrunB View Post
                          I placed the clear knobs for a practical reason. I can find the volumes easier under low light and darker stages. It looks good like that aesthetically
                          Thanks for the reply! yeah, I figured it was to make the volumes easier to see on the fly. Cool idea and looks cool too! cleaner looking than using tape or something.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I see Eddie's (or was) using Winged C 6L6's, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                              I see Eddie's (or was) using Winged C 6L6's, eh?
                              I think so. My EVH stealth came with Groove Tubes rebranded Svetlana winged C's

Comment

Originally posted by GudrunB View Post
                                I think so. My EVH stealth came with Groove Tubes rebranded Svetlana winged C's
                                Too bad SED folded and those will no longer be easy to find...

I think the EH 6L6GC is pretty decent. I like it better than the JJ. However, I can't speak to how they sound in a 5150III, just in other amps I've had and used.
                                Nope...

Comment

Working...
                                X