This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Pickup Break-in" Any truth here??

OK, I was just reading a few articles on this guys website (I get annoyed more and more as I read them) and came across this: http://menga.net/how-long-does-it-ta...-guitar-pickup

Is there any truth to this as all? I could understand the magnet settling as the pickup gets older, but according to this guy, pickups get used to the way you play, and high output humbuckers get worn out the more you use them?? Seems pretty far fetched to me, I've never personally noticed any of this in my 12 or so years of playing...

Re: "Pickup Break-in" Any truth here??

We're not talking about a brand new Hemi here. The only "break-in" that happens in gear that I know of are speakers, tubes and wood. Especially on acoustics for the wood but there is a good chance the wood of an electric gets broken in a bit too according to how you play. I certainly have one chambered black korina LP from Warmoth that has gained a warmer bottom end over the years as one example.

Pickups? No. Sure, the magnet changes over many, many, many years very slightly... that's about it. I have an old Alnico II Pro neck humbucker. There could be many reasons why it sounds smoother and slightly different than a brand new one but it is not so far off that you couldn't recognize that it is an A2P.
    Last edited by Snake Aces; 05-14-2015, 08:11 AM.
    Soundcloud

Comment

OK good, because the whole time I was reading that I was just calling B.S. over and over in my head. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the crazy one. By the way, I would agree about electrics breaking in as well, with the necks bending a bit while playing, and the body and neck flexing from vibrations, it has to change it somewhat over a long period of time. Since acoustics are thinner and flex more, I guess it makes it more noticeable because it happens quicker. Magnets, however, don't seem like they could be altered by a guitar string vibrating over them. I just can't see that one happening.

Comment

If you put a different magnet in then there is a small period where the new tonality seems to settle - but its always debatable as to whether this is your ears or the pickup.

Comment

Wow... that's some serious BS going on over on that site... he "conditions" the magnets to react a certain way? Also apparently high output buckers only sound good for a couple years? Seriously?
          Originally posted by dg27
          Salad plates are aerodynamically more effective than dinner plates, which are too heavy.

Comment

"Pickup Break-in" Any truth here??

High output humbuckers have a lifespan of 6-12 months before they sound like crap? HahahahahahahahahahahaAAAAAHAHAHAHA!

And I like the "play the crap out of it as often as he can ~ 8 months before it's broken in". But gigging? Less than 6 months. Yay. Lol

Man, I love the internet sometimes.

Comment

This might be the most rediculous thing I've ever read. Ive had the same set of "metal" pickups that have found their way into three different guitars over the last 15 years and sound just as good as day one.
              sigpic
              Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

See what winders say...

BTW and FWIW, I've already measured a lowered gauss level on recent pickups and a strong gauss level on vintage pickups (vintage= +/- 50 years old).
                Last edited by freefrog; 05-14-2015, 04:59 AM.
                Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Here's another idiotic article from the same guy titled: Is Guitar Pickup Modding Stupid? It's not really about modding pickups and more about changing pickups in a guitar, but incredibly stupid all the same

sigpic
                  Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

>Menga.net

THERE'S your problem. You're listening to the biggest sufferer of the Dunning-Kruger effect I have ever seen.
                    Originally posted by Myaccount876
                    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

This isn't Scott Grove writing is it?? Sounds like his style.

Comment

No. If anything people get used to the sound of the new pickup and they finish adjusting it to their liking. These two activities can be euphemistically considered break in.
                        Last edited by idsnowdog; 05-14-2015, 08:14 AM.

Comment

WTF? Where do people come up with this stuff? No, I guess after 50 years a pickup could demagnetize some but if you were to drop in a new SH-1 today it's going to sound exactly the same a year from now? Speakers, tubes, wood to some extent, will break in over time but pickups are basically just electromagnets, so I'd think as long as they are used in normal situations there not going to change much? Even if they do, & I'm 99.999999999999% sure they do not, it would be so subtle that you wouldn't be able to notice? Especially if you use the guitar on a regular basis, then it's still just going to sound like you're guitar because any change would be extremely trivial and would happen over a very long period of time?

Comment

There are things that can happen to a pickup over time that very much DO affect the sound. Some plastics do shrink slightly, this change in bobbin shape can loosen a tiny bit of tension and the coil will vibrate free'er and possibly become microphonic. Sometimes gunk, grime and crud from your hands finds its way into the coils and does the opposite. Where it could vibrate more now its dampened a bit. You can have a potted pickup that over time the wax dries and falls out and leaves the pickup able to vibrate more. This increase in mechanical noise is interpreted as being "harmonics" and "complexity" at times. I'm convinced that many times when someone is talking about the richness of their favorite vintage pickup what they are enjoying are these extra little bits to the sound.

While the linked articles are bunk... its also bunk to think that pickups dont change over long periods of time.

The stuff about high output pickups only sounding good for a couple years is just pure
                            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Nope...

Comment

Working...
                              X