Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Pickup Break-in" Any truth here??

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
    Meanwhile this continues unabated and unmoderated
    Actually it's been bated and moderated and tolerated and exacerbated and thoroughly deflated. Now we gotta keep 'em separated.

Comment

When is this one gonna get locked, Beau?
       Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Flannel View Post
        When is this one gonna get locked, Beau?
        I think as soon as we start talking about Dr. Who or something like that. (Cool that we now know the technique to lock a thread, though.)

Comment

Bow ties are cool though

Comment

I honestly think that it's kind of backwards how securbs anniversary thread got closed but this doozy of a thread remains largely unmoderated and open... I apologize for this being off topic but honestly I think this should have been closed a long while ago. Especially since tone woods were not even the topic in the OP and how heated a subject that is not even on topic has gotten. Considering how the last tone woods debate went you'd think there would be more moderation...
            Last edited by firebirdguy72; 05-30-2015, 01:13 AM.
            Originally posted by dg27
            Salad plates are aerodynamically more effective than dinner plates, which are too heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by firebirdguy72 View Post
              I honestly think that it's kind of backwards how securbs anniversary thread got closed but this vinegar filled monster remains largely unmoderated and open... I apologize for this being off topic but honestly I think this should have been closed a long while ago. Especially since tone woods were not even the topic in the OP and how heated a subject that is not even on topic has gotten. Considering how the last tone woods debate went you'd think there would be more moderation...
              You're a wise man.

You're good in my book.
               Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

We're not talking about tone wood per se, there's no mention here of how resins effect the transference of energy, we're talking about how much scientific rigor should or should not be expected prior to anyone claiming they "know" something to be true. You can't on the one hand laugh at Rich Menga because he has no science to back up his claims about pickup break in, then mak specious, unscientific claims about things like PIO caps, tone wood, cold rolled steel, etc. of your own.

Besides, more important than being on or off topic, what gives a thread any value? Was this thread so much better back on page 6, when people were getting their kicks just posting insulting image macros to Bodeanicus, one post after another?

Comment

I think this thread didn't get locked down because of the entertainment value of the display of human pettiness at it highest.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                    The tone wood stuff might be a bit off topic, but when it comes to "pickup break-in", this is very much on topic.

"anal adherence" is basically a shaming way of saying "valuing accuracy", and it's a lack of accuracy that caused this guy Rich Menga http://menga.net/how-long-does-it-ta...-guitar-pickup to conclude that pickups "break in". In all likelihood, he's attributing string wear to the pickups (sound best within so many months, the lowest three string go first). He probably didn't control for the strings, he probably didn't isolate that variable. If asked, he'd probably say "the string still look clean though! Strings are supposed to last a year, it's been three months!". That's how personal experience and folk wisdom fail people.

There's a good two or three pages of people earlier in this thread chortling over this silly pickup breakin thing, but if you think guitar is exempt from scientific rigor, if you don't understand the importance of removing the "human factor", if you think the fact that the guitar is used for the purposes of art means that the scientific standards applied to guitar can be as equally "artful", then you're no better than Rich Menga.
                    I hate to say it, but I agree totally with this.

Science is science, regardless of the subject.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
                    Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                      You misunderstood him, and you've got it backwards. The "wood is a more important variable" comes from the fact that pro-tonewood guys say the pots/pickups/hardware/human strumming doesn't matter because the wood is supposedly such a dominant variable that it trumps all those other variables.
                      They all make a difference, and that difference is substantial and cumulative.

Which goes to your point of isolating variables to see what the difference is between two things.

Nope...

Comment

I am closing it now.

For the most part, this thread stayed fairly close to topic (the topic being generally unscientific idiots that foist ideas like pickup break-in upon us).

And the person you've accused of being a troll has actually contributed significant on topic material.

Then you guys went and ruined it by comparing it to another thread which never had any hope of being anything but another argument about moderation of this place.

You know what ruins this place? The backseat moderators. It really is tiresome that the people that complain most when there's no moderation are the ones that actually need moderation.

I'm going to be nice and not give those involved infractions for seriously derailing this thread. Consider this your warning. I won't be so nice next time.

Nope...

Comment

Working...
                        X