NGD...But not happy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NGD...But not happy

So sorry to hear about that! Loved the Adrian Smith models that I've played!

+1 To taking it to a reputable guitar tech, sounds like some fret leveling is needed IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
      I've seen strings with a dent or a bend that made that happen.
      Yep same here change the strings and then get back to us.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
        This affects open notes only. His problem is on D, 2nd fret.
        What's the radius? Wonder if the center bridge saddles need a shim to match the board radius for super low action?
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

^^^ I think OFR is radiused at 12" stock. It could be but if it was the case, it would affect higher frets more than 2nd fret.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
            What's the radius? Wonder if the center bridge saddles need a shim to match the board radius for super low action?
            10"-16" compound radius IIRC
            sigpic
            Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
              10"-16" compound radius IIRC
              According to the specs, its 12"-16"

SPECIFICATIONS

Adrian Smith SDX
              products general
              Model Name: Adrian Smith Signature SDX
              Series: Artist Signature
              products body
              Body: Basswood
              Body Shape: San Dimas
              Body Finish: Gloss
              products neck
              Neck Shape: Speed Neck
              Number of Frets: 22
              Fret Size: Jumbo
              Position Inlays: Dot
              Fretboard Radius: 12" to 16" Compound Radius (304.8 mm to 406.4 mm)
              Fretboard: Rosewood
              Neck Material: Maple
              Neck Finish: Oiled
              Nut Width: 1.6875" (43 mm)
              Scale Length: 25.5" (64.8 cm)
              Truss Rods: Dual-Action
              Truss Rod Nut: Butt Adjustable
              products electronics
              Pickup Configuration: H/S/S
              Bridge Pickup: Jackson Humbucking Bridge Pickup
              Middle Pickup: Jackson Single Coil Middle Pickup
              Neck Pickup: Jackson Single Coil Neck Pickup
              Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup, Position 3. Middle Pickup, Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup, Position 5. Neck Pickup
              products hardware
              Bridge: Top Mount Floyd Rose Special
              Tuning Machines: Jackson Tuning Machines
              products tools
              Truss Rod Wrench: Standard Truss Rod Wrench
              Floyd Rose Nut Adjustment Wrench: Yes
              products miscellaneous
              Strings: NPS, Gauges: .009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042
              Unique Features: H/S/S pickup configuration, 22 jumbo frets, maple neck w/rosewood fingerboard, Floyd Rose Special bridge, 5-way selector switch
              products accessories
              Pickguards: White

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that. Some good advice has been posted and I hope it all works out. That's a beautiful guitar. My buddy just got one as well and returned it for similar reasons. Some buzz, couldn't set it up the way he liked. The deal breaker for him was having to take off the neck to do truss rod adjustments. He's a Les Paul guy, so that just freaked him out, lol.
                My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
                or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
                http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
                700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Sounds like the fret make have raised up and needs to be re-seated.
                  Last edited by blues; 06-08-2015, 09:25 AM.

Comment

If it takes you 15 tries to do a truss adjustment, you really shouldn't be doing it yourself. Besides, as others have said, a bad string (it really does happen) or a raised fret is far more likely the culprit here. You can change the string yourself, but a tech is definitely worth the investment if the problem persists.

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                      If it takes you 15 tries to do a truss adjustment, you really shouldn't be doing it yourself. Besides, as others have said, a bad string (it really does happen) or a raised fret is far more likely the culprit here. You can change the string yourself, but a tech is definitely worth the investment if the problem persists.
                      1. Thank you all for the suggestions. I've got more help here than the Jackson forum.
                      2. I did contemplate a string change, but couldn't believe that could cause the buzz on new strings.
                      3. I'm going to take it to the local Jackson service center this week for advice or warranty work.
                      4. I didn't expect it to be perfect out of the box. Who knows how long it sat in a warehouse or if UPS dropped it or whatever. Plus it is MII..
                      So again thank you all for your input and I can't wait to start playing this beast
                      Last edited by guitar_bat; 06-08-2015, 06:55 PM.
                      Gibson Les Paul
                      LTD EC 401VF
                      Jackson SDX Adrian Smith
                      Orange Tiny Terror Head
                      (2) PPC112 Orange Cabs
                      Array of pedals
                      Xotic SL Drive is the best OD

Comment

Bumping an old thread. I just got a brand new SDX today and it has bad fret buzz starting at the 7th fret upwards. Did you ever sort out the issue with yours?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Comment

You have two, well, three option really:

1. Give up on the thing, return it, get your cash back, bust a bank and buy a USA/CS, maybe those won't have these problems. Not a real solution though and I personally wouldn't do it. Busting a bank would be fine by me, but the USA/CS Jacksons are sold for stupid money. In my opinion the difference in price is immensely disproportionate compared to the difference in quality/features.
                          2. Take it to a tech and let him sort it out.
                          3. Learn how to do it for yourself. Really no rocket science. Change strings. Check relief. Check action. Check fret level with a rocker. If you find some high spots, saned 'em, polish 'em and enjoy. If too many spots or completely frets outta whack, take it to a tech/luthier, as doing a complete fret level on a compund radius board might be a more advanced job. Also, find a Jackson user's manual on the web. The one that they give with USA models. They list the recommended setup specs, use those as point of reference. Try to aim for the upper limits of those specs. An X series guitar will most likely not be able to perform within or below USA setup specs.

Comment

Usually this sort of thing is easily diagnosed and repaired by a good tech, and worth fixing. It mostly comes down to a fret issue, and it is silly to pass up a otherwise great guitar on something easily fixed.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Usually this sort of thing is easily diagnosed and repaired by a good tech, and worth fixing. It mostly comes down to a fret issue, and it is silly to pass up a otherwise great guitar on something easily fixed.
                              My concern here is that it would void the warranty and I wouldn't be able to return it if there's still issues after a professional setup.

I think I'm going to get the Charvel So Cal that I was originally looking at.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Comment

Setups/fretwork shouldn't void the warranty. It is easy enough to look up what your warranty covers. Replacing parts and messing up the job probably would void it.
                                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                                X