Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Q&A with Mark Holcomb and Keith Merrow - 6/22/15

Default Re: **Live Q&A with Mark Holcomb and Keith Merrow -- Here and Now!!******

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Merrow View Post
    We also figured out that fermented soy bean sushi is real shot. So, the whole trip was a success.
    Name:  natto.jpeg
Views: 651
Size:  36.4 KB
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

Artist / SD Customer Service Keith Merrow's Avatar

Default Re: **Live Q&A with Mark Holcomb and Keith Merrow -- Here and Now!!******

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo95 View Post
    Hey, is there a particular exercise do you guys do to train your right hand picking technique? Is there an exercise you tend to focus on?
    I often just write riffs that seem to challenge my right hand, and then practice them until I can play them cleanly. I guess if you do that long enough, you'll advance organically. I still have a long way to go, myself.

Cat In The Hatministrator stevie_bees's Avatar

Hi guys. What do consider to be the holy grail of guitar tones by any artist, and which guitar tone of your own are you most happiest with? Thanks for your time!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Skopp View Post
    How is that even a thing, let alone a delicacy? Haha

Hey Mark, I am a young lad in high school jamming with my best friend in our own band. I really love your signature guitar, But since I am young I can't really afford it, will you release a more affordable version of your signature or would you recommend me another PRS just as good because I Love the specs on yours and the satin neck. Thank you, and you are my hero

This is for both Keith and Mark: is it weird seeing your signature guitar all over the internets?

What are your favorite tube amps to play through? Tube type, Wattage, Heads, Combos, Brand, 2x12/4x12 Speaker Cabinets, Speakers, etc...? I hope that's not too personal and infringing on any contracts or anything. Thank you very much if you can answer that!!

yeah that looks nasty. who was the brave soul that tried it first?

Guitarist, Periphery Mark Holcomb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PushedCrayon View Post
    Mark, does your playing style change when using different pickups? And if so, how does it change? Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Definitely. I've found that any variable in a rig, from pickups, to pedals, to EQ, to a guitar, to string, etc, will affect and maybe influence the way I play. Pickups make a difference in the following example: if you're using an overly-gainy, saturated pickup on a distorted rhythm tone, you're probably going to lean away from playing bigger chords where notes need to shine out. Using a pickup that is more restrained and dialed back will encourage you to do the opposite.

That sounds right. Keith, last year I've been to one of your clinic with Jeff here in Italy and it has been great, do you guys have any plans to make something like this in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Skopp View Post
    brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo95 View Post
    Hey, is there a particular exercise do you guys do to train your right hand picking technique? Is there an exercise you tend to focus on?
    Master of Puppets! Lots of it!

Quote Originally Posted by stevie_bees View Post
    Hi guys. What do consider to be the holy grail of guitar tones by any artist, and which guitar tone of your own are you most happiest with? Thanks for your time!
    There's a lot of tones I love from artists I listen to. But, I've never really stopped to consider if any of them are the holy grail to me. I've honestly just focused on finding that holy grail tone for myself, and haven't based it off of any other player's tone.

I'm close after many years of trying different gear. I'm really happy with my tone right now.

BartekBeben

Hey guys! How are you doing?

Question to both of you, what are your Do's and Dont's on tour? Any lessons you keep now in mind?

Keith, what were the basis for the Nazgul and Sentient pickups? What pickups did you have in mind when designing them?

Quote Originally Posted by stevie_bees View Post
    Eddie Van Halen, by miles and miles. 30 years later and no one can emulate his tone. And as a metal player, my bread and butter is my rhythm tone and always the first tone I go for when I test out a guitar or set of pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by Petie View Post
    This is for both Keith and Mark: is it weird seeing your signature guitar all over the internets?
    It blows my mind. I recently saw an Instagram post from Bill Ward showing that he has two of my guitars. It was insane to me, because Sabbath is the reason I even picked up a guitar.

Folks, we're just about at the end of the hour, so please just two more questions, to give Mark and Keith a moment to answer what's still open before the thread closes.

And I want to thank Mark and Keith for their time today. This was really great and informative--natto aside.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by BartekBeben View Post
    Hey guys! How are you doing?

Question to both of you, what are your Do's and Dont's on tour? Any lessons you keep now in mind?
    DO: Shower
    DON'T: # 2 on the bus
    DO: clean up after your self
    DON'T: forget your toothbrush
    DO: give people their space
    DON'T: have sh*tty breath
    DO: practice!
    DON'T: Shower

Hey Mark, how would you describe your tone compare to Misha's and Jake's? How do you usually set the TS in your rig? Is that your Axe FX patch the same as the other guitarists' in Periphery or you tweak it a lil bit? Thanks a lot!