No announcement yet.

Any good, free VST for acoustic drums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any good, free VST for acoustic drums?

I used the free slate one recently it is killer

Comment

Yes, the Steven Slate drums are amazing.

Comment

Meh (new word I learned from these forums).

While taking a break last night I thought lemme download that SSD5 free thing to see what it’s about as one or two local guys here use Steven Slate and rave about it. Nah. To begin with the installation pis*ed me off i.e. the .slatepack files, for some or the other reason, were being recognized by Windows as .zip files (which actually is all they are) and so they were being renamed to .zip files once the downloads were complete and, of course, the installer couldn’t find them. After the third download I figured this out and managed to install the darn thing. But what’s with the GUI??? Those thick fonts and the rest. It actually reminds me of the OLD Windows 3.1 programs. Worse still: it reminds me of Ableton. So nope. May be the “reverse placebo” effect but the drums didn’t sound that great to me either after all of this (but it was the free drums to be fair). So nah. BFD3 it still is for me all the way. Complicated and expensive but “floats my boat”. AD2 MAYBE now and then but that’s only because I happened to buy one or two kits that are pretty “monster” (but still doesn’t have the “pro.” features of BFD3).

For the sake of interest there is another really nice and interesting VST drummer called “Strike 2” by Air Music Technology. I happened to get it as part of a bundle (think it was with an M-Audio interface that I had once upon a time). Fantastic for composing because of its unique and rather clever design. In its simplest form: a set of predefined intros., choruses, bridges, fills, whatever are assigned as notes on your keyboard. So you select a drum kit and load it and tell the thing to “record”. You then hit keys on the keyboard e.g. a chosen intro. then verse then chorus then fill then verse then outtro. and all the individual MIDI notes that make up your song as “played” are recorded. Not the keys that you have pressed but the MIDI data assigned to those keys. You then just drag the “recording” to a track in your DAW and you have your drum track done. Obviously from that point you can use any other VST for the drum samples although its samples and features are very good actually. It has but one problem and that is that Air Music Technology’s support is all but non-existent i.e. it has one small quirk now and then they they are aware of and simply choose to ignore. Nothing serious just annoying i.e. sometimes it will insert a blank bar between your intro. and the rest of the track in the “recorded” data so you then have to manually delete the blank bar. Still. Something they could sort out but couldn’t be bothered it would seem.

Here (for fun):

P.S.

A retraction (to be fair) re: the SSD5 free installation issue I had. Apparently I'm the only one that's had such an issue and it COULD be that my download accelerator is identifying the .slatepack files as .ZIP files (which they actually are) and renaming them as such once the download is complete. Never had this issue before so have no idea the reason for this (assuming this was the problem). So: this aside the installation wasn't a big deal at all. Still: not my cup of tea and wouldn't pay money for it. But as I said: to be fair is all.
        Last edited by dpaterson; 03-03-2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I can’t speak to the free version as I have the full paid version. I think it’s great.

Comment

Slate free is killer.

Just my 2cents, after using free drumkits with their flaws for long I decided to switch to paid Toontrack around 2009 (both EZD and Superior line) and that was a blast, a real gamechanger. In the practice it is much better value than the price suggests: an awesome songwriting, editing and sometimes album project life saving tool.
            Wackor
            Ørdøg
            NecroPolo
            Diabolus in Musica
            SIDrip Alliance
            Book of Shadows
            RKH

Comment

Will any of those plugins work for Reaper DAW ?

Comment

Just use hydrogen drum machine. There are thousands of free acoustic sample kits you can download. Program your drum patterns in hydrogen, then export as .wav. Then load that .wav into your project in Reaper.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I’m using MT powerdrumkit I like it
                  All legit and free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X