banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 extension cab a good platform for speaker upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 extension cab a good platform for speaker upgrade?

I was planning on getting a custom convertible cab but wondering if the Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 extension cab could be a good starting point and just get rid of the stock speaker and put something else. Just like people buys strats and changes pcikups

It looks like a bit bigger than other 1x12 cabs out there so not sure if may be too bassy/boomy even if putting a tigth low speaker.
    Who took my guitar?

Re: Is the Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 extension cab a good platform for speaker upgrade?

I'm not sure if the standard one is MDF or plywood, but they aren't bad. The extra size isn't too boomy they added it since most 1x12 have less bass response than cabs with more speakers. It's also not a convertible, just a closed back with the back panel being removable to access the speaker. For a true convertible 1x12 in the same price range, the upcoming Peavey 112-C would be a good choice, it is made from 18mm void free plywood.
    sigpic
    Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Re: Is the Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 extension cab a good platform for speaker upgrade?

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
      I'm not sure if the standard one is MDF or plywood, but they aren't bad. The extra size isn't too boomy they added it since most 1x12 have less bass response than cabs with more speakers. It's also not a convertible, just a closed back with the back panel being removable to access the speaker. For a true convertible 1x12 in the same price range, the upcoming Peavey 112-C would be a good choice, it is made from 18mm void free plywood.
      That Peavey 112-C looks interesting, the problem is the only Peavy products I get to see here are the transtube combos, but i will keep this one under my radar.
      Who took my guitar?

Comment

the actual cabinet was the part i liked least about the hot rod series gear
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Depends on what you're trying to do. If you're making a 'stack' with the HRDlx or BDRI I like it (mine is the tweed matching the BDRI). If your want it for another amp, spend the $299 for an empty cab and add a speaker of choice. I think visual or cosmetics drives this decision. And BTW, I like the sound of this cab as is with the BDRI and have used it with a 57 tweed deluxe head clone also with good results.
          <===
          Attached Files
          Last edited by IM4Tone; 07-02-2015, 08:46 PM.

Comment

There is nothing "wrong" with the Fender Ext Cab. As you say, you can always change speakers.
            I would not hesitate to buy one, especially if the price was good. But if you are comparing it to a ....... "custom convertible cab".....as another member has already mentioned, you may find it lacking.
            Like usual, it depends. If you "just" need another cab, the Fender will be great.
            good luck
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

Another good one to look for is a Jet City JCA12S, it also has the convertible back. I don't know how hard it is to get stuff from the US down there, but used ones here go for about $150USD
              sigpic
              Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Description, specs, etc.

Comment

I wouldn't worry AT ALL about a convertible back. It's easy enough to make a short back to give an open back design. Lots of speakers will sound great in that cab.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Well, I just got the cab and starting using it with my AMT SS-20 and Stealth Power Amp. For now just cleans and overdrive, so far so good.
                    Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
                    X