What do you guys use for solo boost? Just curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys use for solo boost? Just curious

Personally, I use an EQ with a level boost, a 800Hz cut, and a kick in the low mids to combat the shrillness.
    Originally posted by Myaccount876
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Re: What do you guys use for solo boost? Just curious

On one board, I use the "clean" channel of an Analog Man King of Tone. On my home board I use a modded TS-9 (also from Analog Man)

My amps are mostly Mesas so they have "solo" features which I used for a long time, basically giving you two master volume settings - but I discovered that I liked to add some cut and a bit more gain when I do solos, rather than just linearly increasing the volume level.

sigpic

Comment

Currently I use my Rat Solo or my Vox Satchurator set at a higher volume than my other pedals to cut thru the mix for the solos...would like to get a pure sounding volume boost so I can use all of my pedals for rhythm and lead.
      Last edited by treyhaislip; 07-09-2015, 08:52 AM. Reason: left a word out because I am too impatient lol

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
        Personally, I use an EQ with a level boost, a 800Hz cut, and a kick in the low mids to combat the shrillness.
        What brand EQ do you use?
        sigpic"Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

Comment

Originally posted by guitarSQUIRELL View Post
          What brand EQ do you use?
          Boss GE-7
          Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Ok. Ive looked into using one of those for our church services when a solo comes up in a song but then the sound guy frowns a little since its hard for him to control a spur of the moment change in volume EQs lol.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarSQUIRELL View Post
              Ok. Ive looked into using one of those for our church services when a solo comes up in a song but then the sound guy frowns a little since its hard for him to control a spur of the moment change in volume EQs lol.
              I played at a Church for several years a while ago and several of the sound guys would turn my guitar down after every song so that by the end of the service I was completely muted. lol The main sound guy loved the electric and would have me at a good volume but the other two guys did not like an electric in service so I was phased out lol

Comment

Well, then. Thats unacceptable. lol. I have that issue most of the time but its just that one of my co-workers is one of the sound guys and he does a great job at it, another guy has guitar so low in the mix you can barely hear it when its NEEDED in a part of a song. LiveStream is a useful tool to go back and listen to how you couldve done a part different as well and you can tell how you sounded in the mix as well... A EQ boost would work while the other guy runs sound i think lol.

Comment

Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                    Would you plug it in before my processor for a dry signal or would you go from the out for a wet signal? Or use the effects loop for it since im using an XLR plug out to the sound board?

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                      I played at a Church for several years a while ago and several of the sound guys would turn my guitar down after every song so that by the end of the service I was completely muted. lol The main sound guy loved the electric and would have me at a good volume but the other two guys did not like an electric in service so I was phased out lol
                      LOL ... I've been there / done that!

A sound guy once asked me "where's your POD?" like was a mandatory staple or something. I told him I left it at the store so we mic'd my amp and buried it in another room. And then, as is to be expected, I had no guitar in the monitors. It got only slightly better with the Aviom system.

In the church I (ocassionally) attend now the musicians and sound guys are all way out of my league, so I am retired after about 10 years of P & W.
                      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
                        LOL ... I've been there / done that!

A sound guy once asked me "where's your POD?" like was a mandatory staple or something. I told him I left it at the store so we mic'd my amp and buried it in another room. And then, as is to be expected, I had no guitar in the monitors. It got only slightly better with the Aviom system.

In the church I (ocassionally) attend now the musicians and sound guys are all way out of my league, so I am retired after about 10 years of P & W.
                        We used to use mic'd amps (mainly VOX AC-15s) then we had the idea of running straight to the board. We went to the Aviom system as well, and it helps the musician hear what he wants to hear but what is in the house mix is different. Ive been up on stage now for about 6 years ALMOST every sunday morning.

Comment

20 db is a LOT of volume. I use about 5 db or less. How high do you set your boost?

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
                            20 db is a LOT of volume. I use about 5 db or less. How high do you set your boost?
                            Depending on the amp (I need more for the Marshal DSL at the rehearsal studio than I do for my Bugera due to different headroom capabilities) I usually set it between 10 o'clock and noon. With the Bugera I can also set the amp on the verge of breakup and then dime the Spark Mini and it's like a channel switch.
                            Nope...

Comment

Depending on the amp (I need more for the Marshal DSL at the rehearsal studio than I do for my Bugera due to different headroom capabilities) I usually set it between 10 o'clock and noon. With the Bugera I can also set the amp on the verge of breakup and then dime the Spark Mini and it's like a channel switch.
                              well let me ask you this. Would you use it in a sanctuary where its running through a sound board? The sound guy has enough headroom left to turn up the guitar but doesnt, would you put one of these in line with the floor unit im using?

Comment

Working...
                              X