Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you guys use for solo boost? Just curious

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
    Depending on the amp (I need more for the Marshal DSL at the rehearsal studio than I do for my Bugera due to different headroom capabilities) I usually set it between 10 o'clock and noon. With the Bugera I can also set the amp on the verge of breakup and then dime the Spark Mini and it's like a channel switch.
    Wow that's quite a lot haha.
    Originally posted by Myaccount876
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
      LOL ... I've been there / done that!

A sound guy once asked me "where's your POD?" like was a mandatory staple or something. I told him I left it at the store so we mic'd my amp and buried it in another room. And then, as is to be expected, I had no guitar in the monitors. It got only slightly better with the Aviom system.

In the church I (ocassionally) attend now the musicians and sound guys are all way out of my league, so I am retired after about 10 years of P & W.
      Ha! If only Church Sound Guys were musicians...lol XD Sorry you are retired from it. I play in a small old Church building that has awesome acoustics for my guitar (not so awesome for the singers, but for just the musicians its very nice) and just use my amp, no mic. My Hot Rod Deluxe is usually between 3 and 4 for my Electrics and then I usually push it just a tad more for my Acoustic (Bill Lawrence A300...BEST acoustic pickup I've ever used.) I love my current setup, no sound guys who don't know what they are doing. lol The old Church switched to the Avioms that was suppose to solve every problem...didn't do jack. lol

Originally posted by guitarSQUIRELL View Post
      We used to use mic'd amps (mainly VOX AC-15s) then we had the idea of running straight to the board. We went to the Aviom system as well, and it helps the musician hear what he wants to hear but what is in the house mix is different. Ive been up on stage now for about 6 years ALMOST every sunday morning.
      Aviom better be paying their marketing department well...they seem to have convinced Churches that is the only way to go XD jk I prefer the amp and pedals to a board going directly in but I can understand a good sound guy wanting a direct signal and I can see what a bad sound guy would not want to have an amp out there since he cannot control it XD

Would you plug it in before my processor for a dry signal or would you go from the out for a wet signal? Or use the effects loop for it since im using an XLR plug out to the sound board?
      I could be dead wrong on this but I was thinking you would want it at the very end of the chain if you are wanting to boost everything going into the amp...but others please correct me if I am wrong in that line of thinking.

EDIT: FWIW, I think a better response is put it in multiple parts of the chain and see where it sounds the best. I put the Volume pedal at the very start of the chain and I can see using the boost at the beginning of the chain to boost the entire signal before hitting the dirt boxes and effects. First place I would try it though would be the end of the signal so everything gets a boost right before the amp...again someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
      Last edited by treyhaislip; 07-09-2015, 11:39 AM. Reason: I am dumb

Comment

I used to use a TC spark booster (the full sized one) and I still think it's a brilliant pedal with a simple and useful EQ, but these days I just tend to use my volume control, and set my base volume at like 7 or 8 on guitar and turn up as needed.
        Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
        I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
        Andrew - None

Comment

well let me ask you this. Would you use it in a sanctuary where its running through a sound board? The sound guy has enough headroom left to turn up the guitar but doesnt, would you put one of these in line with the floor unit im using?
          Depends. Will it make the sound guy strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger?

Nope...

Comment

Depends. Will it make the sound guy strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger?

Not sure what the media director would do...sound guy would probably be freaking out thinking its too loud and pull everything out haha
            sigpic"Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

Comment

Not sure what the media director would do...sound guy would probably be freaking out thinking its too loud and pull everything out haha
              If I were you I'd discuss it and figure out where to set it so you don't blow his head off when you hit the boost.
              Nope...

Comment

If I were you I'd discuss it and figure out where to set it so you don't blow his head off when you hit the boost.
                That would actually be funny to watch his reaction and then later after service tell him "Oh yeah did i mention I gave you and extra 15db of signal LOL"

Comment

Keeley Katana at the end of the pedal chain.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

That would be nice. They are expensive in my book though. I was thinking along the lines of the SD pickup booster or the TC spark mentioned earlier since they are within budget as well haha..

Comment

EHX LPB-1... nice'n'simple...
                      "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

A Fulltone OCD if I want a little more grunt with more of a fluid tone, but nothing too over the top, or a MXR Wylde Overdrive if I want alot more growl with gobs of harmonics. On both I keep the gain all the way down, tone somewhere between 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock, and the output cranked.
                        Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                          http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

To answer the OP, everything but the kitchen sink. Lately my flavor of the month is a BBB Bohemian Treble Boost. I have been having a ball with this thing. I have to learn some Sabbath this week, I can't wait to dial in a good Tony tone with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Progbusters View Post
                              What is this? And how is it related to this thread? Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                                To answer the OP, everything but the kitchen sink. Lately my flavor of the month is a BBB Bohemian Treble Boost. I have been having a ball with this thing. I have to learn some Sabbath this week, I can't wait to dial in a good Tony tone with it.
                                Somebody should make a piece of gear called the Sink just for the pun.
                                Originally posted by Myaccount876
                                Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Working...
                                X