X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you guys use for solo boost? Just curious

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Hmm... Just announced.

So small and multi-functional I want one.
    Originally posted by Myaccount876
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
      How would you compare the sounds of the three Tweed pedals you have listed? I had an FBM-1 for a while, but sold it. I've been thinking about trying to pickup another one. I like my Sweet Baby a lot. I've been wondering how it compares soundwise to the Wampler 57 lately. Same with the FBM-1. Obviously, the quality is way higher on the Wampler, but do they all three sit in a pretty similar tonal niche?
      Not sure which 3rd pedal you consider "tweed", but here's my take:
      The sweet baby doesn't compare at all in similarity to the Wampler. It has far less OD, very mild in comparison. It is a great pedal for using as a companion to the FBM or Wampler to give two levels of boost/OD. I'd say it is closer to the Fulltone FB-3.

The Wampler 57 Tweed and FBM are much closer with a lot of overlap in sounds. The Wampler can be set to be a bit more 'jangly' if that appeals to you (it doesn't to me). There probably isn't enough difference to warrant both, especially on the same pedal board. The two are true to their names...the Wampler 57 tweed does sound like a Fender 57 tweed and the FBM-1 like a Fender Bassman. Played at the same volume, I think those amps sound similar. I'm always in search of great classic sounds, and continually rotate through the pedals I like. These are among those. You should have one of these, but probably no need for both.

The Sweet Baby vs the Fat Boost: the FB-3 is slightly more aggressive, the Sweet Baby smoooooooth.

BTW...a Mad Professor Simble is on my current radar....argh!

HTH
      Last edited by IM4Tone; 07-10-2015, 09:18 PM.

Comment

My favorite three, depending on the amp and guitar.

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Well, though I've shown it in other threads,
          There is this
          Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5141.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	5787911

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            I've recently started dialing my amps in to sound good with the volume knob on 5-6. Then I've got plenty of volume boost just with the knob.
            This.

The belle epoch in my rig adds a very slight amount of gain, but I have the pedal set up so the preamp is always on.

I do usually have a goose around..currently a Dunlop echoplex preamp, which now is kind of redundant tonally with the BE. I am looking into something to replace it. Probably a treble booster.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
              I am looking into something to replace it. Probably a treble booster.
              I am loving my BBE Bohemian the only knock I can give it is they put it in a plastic enclosure. I am not all that worried about it if I was I would buy another enclosure for $10.

Comment

At the moment? The OD2 channel on the amp turned up a bit. Generally crank out the rhythm in OD1.

Favorite is still my MXR Micro Amp. Need to get something with an LED though….
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Right now a BBE Green Screamer. For a "modern" metal player, I keep the gain relatively low for rhythms. For solos, I kick the pedal on. On the pedal, I have the gain and volume at just below noon with the tone knob dead center.

It's not a volume boost, but a bit more gain, compression, and upper mids to make it cut and sustain nicely. I have never liked volume changes in my signal. The other advantage is that it's not imperative that I am on top of my board during a solo. If I don't get back to the pedal going back into the rhythm, then there's no huge drop-off when I switch it off.

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
                    Not sure which 3rd pedal you consider "tweed", but here's my take:
                    The sweet baby doesn't compare at all in similarity to the Wampler. It has far less OD, very mild in comparison. It is a great pedal for using as a companion to the FBM or Wampler to give two levels of boost/OD. I'd say it is closer to the Fulltone FB-3.

The Wampler 57 Tweed and FBM are much closer with a lot of overlap in sounds. The Wampler can be set to be a bit more 'jangly' if that appeals to you (it doesn't to me). There probably isn't enough difference to warrant both, especially on the same pedal board. The two are true to their names...the Wampler 57 tweed does sound like a Fender 57 tweed and the FBM-1 like a Fender Bassman. Played at the same volume, I think those amps sound similar. I'm always in search of great classic sounds, and continually rotate through the pedals I like. These are among those. You should have one of these, but probably no need for both.

The Sweet Baby vs the Fat Boost: the FB-3 is slightly more aggressive, the Sweet Baby smoooooooth.

BTW...a Mad Professor Simble is on my current radar....argh!

HTH
                    I consider the Sweet Baby to be a tweed-ish OD. I love the pedal, it has a really great sound, and most nights is my main OD pedal for shows. I liked my FBM-1 when I had it, but looking back, I don't think I really knew how to use it effectively at the time. And I love the demos I've listened to of the '57, just never had a chance to play one. I'm glad to hear that it sits in a different niche from the Sweet Baby.
                    Go Packers!

Comment

My new deal for boost is I look at the rest of the band and do this

Comment

I love my Soul Food pedal but it definitely flavors (pun intended ) the over all tone of the signal. I would be interested in one that doesn't change/alter the tone.

But the "shhh" is awesome! XD

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
                          I consider the Sweet Baby to be a tweed-ish OD. I love the pedal, it has a really great sound, and most nights is my main OD pedal for shows...............
                          I wouldn't consider the Sweet Baby as "tweedish" but it surely is an awesome pedal IMO AND the best value out there!

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                          I love my Soul Food pedal but it definitely flavors (pun intended ) the over all tone of the signal. I would be interested in one that doesn't change/alter the tone......
                          I find the MXR m-133 to alter tone less than any other pedal I've used, except perhaps, for an EQ pedal with flat settings except for the volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                            I am loving my BBE Bohemian the only knock I can give it is they put it in a plastic enclosure. I am not all that worried about it if I was I would buy another enclosure for $10.
                            I am rough on stomps. Your initial review has me a bit cautious about the box. I have been trying to find one locally to check out in the flesh.
                            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                              I am rough on stomps. Your initial review has me a bit cautious about the box. I have been trying to find one locally to check out in the flesh.
                              It is ABS so you would have to come down on it pretty had to hurt it. Eventide and SourceAudio both make a great product with plastic enclosures. The nice thing about the BBE is the bias control. It allows you to dial in the tone very tightly.

You can drive up to NH to play mine we will send you home with fireworks and cheap alcohol.

Last edited by Securb; 07-12-2015, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarSQUIRELL View Post
                                I was thinking along the lines of the SD pickup booster . . .
                                Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                                I love my Soul Food pedal but it definitely flavors (pun intended ) the over all tone of the signal. I would be interested in one that doesn't change/alter the tone.
                                The SFX-01 does a great job, especially if you do my dirt simple one resistor mod, that brings the input impedance back up to 1-meg, and drops the output by 6dB so you can have a non-boosted buffer when the gain control is all the way down.

Comment

Working...
                                X