What do you guys use for solo boost? Just curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you guys use for solo boost? Just curious

Another channel on my combo which is a modeler so I use one channel with the same settings, just more volume. My Marshall has two Master Volumes, one for rhythm and one for lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
      My new deal for boost is I look at the rest of the band and do this

Your hawt - I'd quiet down….
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Has anyone ever used the DS-1 as a boost pedal?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	5787947
        If so how did you set it on the parameter knobs?
        sigpic"Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

Comment

Originally posted by guitarSQUIRELL View Post
          Has anyone ever used the DS-1 as a boost pedal?
          If so how did you set it on the parameter knobs?
          I have, but only when I use a pedalboard with several different distortion pedals. I find it suitable for only a few songs I play; too much distortion for most others.

Comment

I use a EHX Memory Toy delay pedal in my FX loop.
            Not only it adds echo, but it boosts the entire signal around 2 db I'd say, so it helps.

Now if I want to goose the signal at the front for more sustain, I'll use my Blues Driver which is half-way modded to Keeley specs to take the shrillness out.
            Adds a lot of chunk in the mids and has clean gain/overdrive out of its ass.
            Last edited by Diego; 07-12-2015, 07:25 PM.
            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
              I have, but only when I use a pedalboard with several different distortion pedals. I find it suitable for only a few songs I play; too much distortion for most others.
              Ok. Do you turn the distortion down, almost completely off, or off completely.
              sigpic"Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

Comment

It kind of depends, but typically:

- Roll the volume knob up on my guitar;

- Hit my wah;

- Use the amp's solo boost (secondary master volume);

- Switch to a higher gain channel on my amp.

Number 1 is my preferred way. I tend to run the gain a little higher than necessary then back the volume down for rhythm. Sounds better to me than running the gain lower and the guitar full blast.

Number 2 is a pretty straight forward treble boost. I find it works best if your tone is rolled off slightly... makes the effect stand out more and smooths out/takes some of the rattiness off the toe down position. Additionally, if your preamp still has some headroom left you may get a noticeable gain boost (basically, wah combines well with working the volume/tone knobs).

Number 3 is a straight forward volume boost. When you're out of room and there's no place to go but up... this does the trick every time. Works particularly well for clean solos or when you need that "over the top" lead.

Number 4 is my least favourite way. I'm not big into having my lead tone drastically different from my crunch tone, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
                Last edited by some_dude; 07-12-2015, 07:43 PM.
                || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by guitarSQUIRELL View Post
                  Ok. Do you turn the distortion down, almost completely off, or off completely.
                  No, because mild OD is not a strong suit of the DS-1. I use it when I have multiple distortion pedals in front of me....it's usually the most extreme I use.

Comment

It is ABS so you would have to come down on it pretty had to hurt it. Eventide and SourceAudio both make a great product with plastic enclosures. The nice thing about the BBE is the bias control. It allows you to dial in the tone very tightly.

You can drive up to NH to play mine we will send you home with fireworks and cheap alcohol.

Tempting offer Can I light them off my head?

NH is a bit of a haul for me, Im close to NYC.
                    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Okay, long thread, so this is likely to get lost in the shuffle, but here goes:

I have a boost, but don't use it, because when I'm using my pedalboard, I tend to get my dirt from there and run my amp fairly clean. Because my booster is built into a dirt pedal (Box of Rock, which is basically a Distortron run into a Super Hard On) activating the boost hits the preamp of my amp harder, thus changing the sound from one of BoR-style dirt to one dominated by the Amp's dirt. Now, I like the dirt on my amp, but I've learned that, when driven hard, it tends to mush out the characteristics of what it's being fed. Which is sort of the opposite of what I'm going for when I'm getting dirt from a pedal.
                      ---------------------------
                      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

My new deal for boost is I look at the rest of the band and do this

Okay, knowing that you're a black dude, I'm wondering what's up with the rest of your band if that's what they think you look like...

Or if you actually do look like that, how long does it take you to get ready before gigs?
                        "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Ok it actually looks more like this.

Comment

Pete Cornish CC-1. I set it for a slight mid boost, a bit more gain and volume. It takes my base crunch tone, adds a bit of thickness and grit and dB to the mix.
                            Originally posted by kevlar3000
                            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                            Originally posted by Zerberus
                            Better is often the enemy of good
                            Originally posted by ginormous
                            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I used my BBE Bohemian at rehearsal tonight and the pedal crushed it. My Marshall was out of commision and I played it with a SS amp, even with a SS it delivered. By itself it gave just enough breakup for some old Aerosmith. As a lead boost on the heavier stuff it ruled. cutting right through the mix.

Comment

MXR Micro Amp

Comment

Working...
                                X