I need advice on upgrading from line 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need advice on upgrading from line 6

Hi i play metal and i want to get a better amplifier (head+cabinet or a combo) i can only spend about 700 dollars. So far i cant find a tube amp thats doesn't break the bank.

Re: I need advice on upgrading from line 6

Peavey 6505+ combo. You can find them used for about $500, sometimes less, and it'll be quite the upgrade. You can also change the speaker(s) to further shape the tone. IMO V30s work wonders with the 6505/6505+ amps.

Or if you want a head and cabinet, a Peavey 6505/6505+ MH with a quality 1x12 or 2x12. Do not skimp on the cab/speakers or the sound quality will suffer. You may have to save a little extra, but it'll be worth it, or buy used. You'll save a crap ton of money buying amps and cabinets used.

Both will be suitable for home use, practice, and smaller gigs. There's a couple of other good options out there but the 6505/6505+ variants are pretty much always a safe bet.
    Last edited by Myaccount876; 07-21-2015, 02:14 PM.

Comment

For bedroom or with a band?
      Do you play classic metal or modern chugguh chugguh stuff?

Comment

Craigslist can be your friend.

Comment

Or right here

Cabs all over CL and GC used section

Comment

Originally posted by Ethereal Dragon View Post
            Hi i play metal and i want to get a better amplifier (head+cabinet or a combo) i can only spend about 700 dollars. So far i cant find a tube amp thats doesn't break the bank.
            Which line 6? What is it you don't like about the line 6 specifically?
            Jackson Soloist/EMG 81,85
            Ibanez Artist/GL Screamin Demon BR, Ibanez N
            Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul/EMG 81,85

Mostly Metal, Mostly Heavy, 35 years

Comment

Originally posted by Wormhelmet View Post
              Which line 6? What is it you don't like about the line 6 specifically?
              I dont know how to do multi quotes but to answer the questions, i play both modern and classic metal. I currently just play in my bedroom but would enough power to be heard over a drummer if need be. I have a spider jam which has nice features but the tones aren't great. I've had this amp for 6 years and mostly use the 'insane' setting. I also have 5 watt fender vibro champ which gets better tones to my ears but its no metal amp. The 6505 is great for metal yes and it be might what i end up buying but other options would nice, thanks for your help so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Ethereal Dragon View Post
                You'll probably want a combo since you're only looking at $700, plus not playing in a band. try to look for used gear...something like a 6505, used 5150 or something. you could try the laney ironheart 30watt/1x12 combo..I heard its pretty good. or just get a larger line 6 combo if line 6 is your thing...would be cheaper than a tube amp too!

Comment

You can usually find the Bugera versions of the Peavey amps (6260/6262 vs 6505/6505+, and 333 vs XXX) in the $300 range. Pick one up used from Guitar Center and add the 2 year warranty. They've also got a few used B-52 AT100 amps, which are a poor man's Mesa Dual Rectifier. That along with the 2 year warranty would work, and they usually have 4x12 cabs in the $150-$200 range. (Sometimes even less!) If they don't have it at your local store, have them transfer it from another store.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                  @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Of course one must consider Carvin
                    And their relative used selection

The V3 , V3m, & Legacy amps as well as the reissue X-100b
                    Are great metal amps

Their 4x12 cabs are less than $200 used

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Egnater amps are great bang 4 your buck amplifiers! I'm selling my Tweaker 40 for $400 so I can get a Egnater Rebel, 40w is plenty of power for most people & you can find them relatively cheap all over the net & you can probably even find one near you, if you're not shipping it you should save a few bucks that way too? Pick up a nice used 2X12 for about $300 & your ready to rock!!!
                      I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                        Craigslist can be your friend.
                        Absolutely CL can be your friend for good deals!

I rarely venture out into Metal so I will leave the Tube Amp suggestions to the other Forum Members.

Comment

Peavey XXX or 3120 can be had for around $400 (there's currently a XXX listed for this on GC Used) and there's plenty of choices for cabs. One that I saw on GC's used page was a Line 6 Spider Valve angled cab for $299, if it's the same specs as the one I had it should have V30's in it.
                          sigpic
                          Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Might want to check out the Blackstar ID60TVP. Brand new they are well within your budget. Not tube, but sound great!

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone I've decided to get a Laney ironheart 60 combo

Comment

Working...
                              X