Checking cab impedance with a meter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking cab impedance with a meter?

I have a Mesa halfback 4x12 with Peavey Sheffield 1290s in it (used, obviously), and they are attached to (I'm assuming) the original Peavey MS1290 cab's impedance switching jack panel. Because it's been modded by a non-professional, I don't trust what the jack panel says regarding impedance.

Is it possible to plug a speaker cable into the cab and stick a multimeter on the other end of the speaker cable and tell whether it's wired for 16, 8, or 4 Ohms? Tracing the wires to their terminals will only get me so far since they're braided/twisted together, and all 4 speakers use one blue and one yellow, rather than multiple colors for easier tracking.

I've had the cab for about 3 years now and have never used it because I'm unsure of the actual impedance. I suppose I could just rewire the damn thing
    Didn't think of that til just now.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Re: Checking cab impedance with a meter?

Yep you can check it with a meter. I asked this question myself just a few months back.

Comment

Yes. Due to the difference between impedance and DC resistance, your meter will read approximately 20 - 25% lower than the actual impedance.

~13ohms DCR = 16ohms
      ~6.5ohms DCR = 8ohms
      ~3.2ohms DCR = 4ohms
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        Yes. Due to the difference between impedance and DC resistance, your meter will read approximately 20 - 25% lower than the actual impedance.

~13ohms DCR = 16ohms
        ~6.5ohms DCR = 8ohms
        ~3.2ohms DCR = 4ohms
        Exactly correct! It's a multiple choice answer....for example, don't worry if the reading is 5.9 or 6.8 ohms. That's nominally an 8 ohm speaker, and not a 16 nor a 4.

Comment

Speakers generally meter lower than labeled. 8 ohm speakers will read 5~6 ohms, etc. Just find a diagram double check it.

Comment

Thanks all

King: The sheet that came with my Carvin 2x12 does include various 4x12 diagrams (series, parallel, 4, 8, 16 Ohm) but with the way the wires are twisted together and braided, it's hard to follow the path of all the wires to make sure they're going according to a given diagram. As well, there are these little plug connectors where they go into the panel, which I've never seen before (I'm used to push-on connectors like are on the speakers going straight to the jack - these go to a switch), so I don't know if those might be inverted somehow and what the results may be (i.e. wired for 16 Ohms at the speaker terminals but reversing the plugs cuts it down to 8 Ohm, etc).

Typical hazard of used gear: no idea who's been screwing around with it and whether it's right. They got rid of it for one reason or another, after all.

Maybe I'll just rewire it anyway to be safe

Thanks again
            I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
            My Blog

Comment

Are you saying there is a Peavey Switch/Connector Panel on the Mesa cab.?
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

Usually the speakers will come in at about 2 ohms of difference when measuring in DC. Because the impedance rating is AC. I also notice when measuring 4 speakers wired in whatever, the reading is more off because of the amount of play in reading increases with every speaker you add on. I'd measure each speaker individually, write it down, and wire it and do the math to find the final impedance rating.

Comment

Originally posted by zzmoore View Post
                  Are you saying there is a Peavey Switch/Connector Panel on the Mesa cab.?
                  Yup. Genius previous owner bolted the panel onto the rear of the cab.

Is the twisting of the wires crucial, or just for neatness? If I'm going to rewire it, I'll just run them straight from point to point unless there's some mystical reason for the twists.

And yeah, 3 months later and I still haven't touched it
                  My Blog

Comment

Twisted pair is done for noise rejection. You probably won't notice too much of a difference with speaker level voltages.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I twist wires in cabinets to make nice neat cabling

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                      X