Yo bass players some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yo bass players some help

i have bass players that drop by to work on stuff here and there. I usually plug them into the pa but I am getting nervous about doing this without a di box. Any suggestions on what I should pick up? Just a di or should I get something like a Tech 21?

Re: Yo bass players some help

Bingo. Tech21 Bass Driver... and guard it.
    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

For that purpose I would definitely go with the Tech 21.
      Soundcloud

Comment

Can't believe I'm responding to a 'Yo' thread... But yeah SansAmp all the way! lots of tonal variations available as well.
        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

SansAmp it is...I almost never leave home without it.
          '69 Fender Mustang bass
          '69 Gibson EB-1
          '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
          '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
          '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
          '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
          '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
          '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Not often I see unanimous replies on this site. Guess I know what I gotta do. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
              Not often I see unanimous replies on this site. Guess I know what I gotta do. Thanks a lot.
              If you need a lot of sound options I prefer a bass POD, but for quick & dirty along with decent sound a Sansamp is impossible to beat.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I'll be the dissension in the ranks, but I'd opt for the Aguilar Tone Hammer. Very different from the Sansamp, but I've found a lot more usable settings with the TH.
                I write Articles for Seymour Duncan
                I write Articles for Bass Musician Magazine

Comment

There's also an MXR bass pre worth looking at, supposedly.

Comment

I did look at the MXR they are half the money and I have always loved MXR pedals. I think I might go that route.

Comment

if you connect direct to the PA it will sound bad, but nothing to be nervous about.

If you wanna get a DI bass with amp simulator on the cheap, get the Behringer BDI21 which is the copy of the Sansamp BDDI.

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
                        if you connect direct to the PA it will sound bad, but nothing to be nervous about.
                        It will not.

I gig ampless on a weekly basis, plugging direct into the FOH with a RMI Basswitch DI IQ unit (usually using channel 2, which bypasses the onboard preamp) with a stage monitor, and it sounds pretty incredible. At that point, it might as well be a standard DI box or just plugged into the back of the board, since I'm not using any of the onboard tone shaping capabilities; straight signal.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Monkey View Post
                          It will not.

I gig ampless on a weekly basis, plugging direct into the FOH with a RMI Basswitch DI IQ unit (usually using channel 2, which bypasses the onboard preamp) with a stage monitor, and it sounds pretty incredible. At that point, it might as well be a standard DI box or just plugged into the back of the board, since I'm not using any of the onboard tone shaping capabilities; straight signal.
                          Ummm... that is not connecting directly to the PA, that's connecting to the PA using a DI.

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
                            Ummm... that is not connecting directly to the PA, that's connecting to the PA using a DI.
                            True.

I've also run a 1/4" straight into the board. No problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                              I did look at the MXR they are half the money and I have always loved MXR pedals. I think I might go that route.
                              That's my suggestion as well. For 1/2 the price, you get 2x the channels of the SansAmp.
                              Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                              Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                              Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                              Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                              Line 6 Helix
                              Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Working...
                              X