This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bass upgrade

So, I'm graduating this year and I've decided to buy an expensive bass..Well if you count a bass up to 800 euros expensive then yeah. That's my budget guys. I've already had suggestions about getting a Fender Mexico Jazz bass or some Yamaha basses, but I've never liked the products of both companies. I want you lads to suggest basses like Warwicks. Four strings and Five strings are welcome, although the five string basses are less desirable to me. So shoot your ideas!

Re: A bass upgrade

German made Corvette are cheap and nice.

Comment

I prefer the low weight and smooth styling of the Ibanez SR series

I currently have the SR500 and the SR300M (love that maple neck on Candy Apple Red)

the necks feel great to me

my buddy has the 5 string SR505
      he was used to the wider fender 5 string spacing
      and took a while to get used to the tighter Ibanez spacing
      makes slapping and popping a bit more tricky
      now he would have no other

I, myself, prefer the 4 string the neck just fits my hand so well
      I have noticed that the 4 and 5 string Ibanez necks are very close to the same size
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

It's hard to know what to recommend without knowing what's available in your market.
        Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
        To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

Can you find used Schecters there? If so, that's your baby.

Comment

Is Artist Systems still in business?
            sigpic
            "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
            --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
            Originally posted by Lewguitar
            In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Ginormous - yeah Artist Systems is still in business. Demanic - Schecters are usually bad quality here. Anyways lads I'm not buying from my own country, because well...We're considered a Third World country and the guitar market is horrible. I'm planning on going to Thomann and purchasing.

Comment

What kind of music do you play? While basses are a little less genre specific than guitars, it does impact the sound you're aiming for...

Looking at Thomann's website, G & L Tribute's would be well within your price range (and an excellent choice, IMHO), as well as a few other very workable instruments. You might be able to find a used Spector, too...
                "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

I play mostly rock based music, with blues and jazz mixes. Spectors are one of the most horrible basses I've ever played..they had one in a local shop here. The G & L Tribute's are not very pleasing to the eye. If I buy something that's a copy of a Music Man I'd buy the cheapest Sterling.

Comment

Originally posted by pyrotbag View Post
                    I play mostly rock based music, with blues and jazz mixes. Spectors are one of the most horrible basses I've ever played..they had one in a local shop here. The G & L Tribute's are not very pleasing to the eye. If I buy something that's a copy of a Music Man I'd buy the cheapest Sterling.
                    What type of Spector was that, and what made it 'horrible'? I'll admit that their Performer series are junk, but judging any company based on its cheapest product line really isn't a great idea. I could play a Squier Affinity and conclude that everything Fender makes is horrible, but that doesn't make it true. Spector's Legend and Euro product lines are excellent (especially the Euros) though they may be out of your price range.

My fiance has a Spector NS-4CR-FM (basically a late 90s Euro 4) that I'll put up against just about anything in terms of playability & tone, at least for how I play. I'll admit to not knowing the used market in Europe, but used Euro 4s can easily be had on ebay for $800-1000 here.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by pyrotbag View Post
                      Ummm... Not really a copy when they're both designs Leo Fender had a hand in...
                      Last edited by jtougas; 08-18-2015, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                        What type of Spector was that, and what made it 'horrible'? I'll admit that their Performer series are junk, but judging any company based on its cheapest product line really isn't a great idea. I could play a Squier Affinity and conclude that everything Fender makes is horrible, but that doesn't make it true. Spector's Legend and Euro product lines are excellent (especially the Euros) though they may be out of your price range.

My fiance has a Spector NS-4CR-FM (basically a late 90s Euro 4) that I'll put up against just about anything in terms of playability & tone, at least for how I play. I'll admit to not knowing the used market in Europe, but used Euro 4s can easily be had on ebay for $800-1000 here.
                        Spector Performer 5 DLX Blue Satin. I played that, the sound I was getting from it just didn't hit my ears in a pleasant way...The truss rod inside was moving, tuners, well didn't tune, bridge was shaky as well (stings were moving). Was overall a bad experience with slap, pick and finger technique...

Comment

Yeah, definitely don't judge the Spector manufacturer by that. The two I have are top notch - an NS2004, and a Legend Classic.

Sent from my iPad using a bunch of electrons, copper, and probably some fiber optic cable

Comment

With your budget at Thoman, I'd recommend an Ibanez SR700 or a Marcus Miller M3. That's what I would get if I was in your position.
                            Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
                            To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

I dont think any of the Ibanez SR series
                              beyond the 500 sound or play any better than the 500s
                              with their Bartolini pickups and Bubinga necks

I have played the 1200E and it was not better
                              and twice the cash better
                              not $100 better
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X