Tell Me About the Boss SD-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tell Me About the Boss SD-1

There are TS9 fans, and SD1 fans. It's "The Other" overdrive. We should all have BOTH of them, but everyone needs to have ONE of them….

Just solid OD awesomeness. Enjoy.

As with the TS9 crowd, there is always some little tweak that makes it a little more this or that. But IMO, I'd be happy as could be if this was the only OD I had.

Last edited by Aceman; 09-05-2015, 10:39 AM.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      But IMO, I'd be happy as could be if this was the only OD I had.
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I'm definitely tonedeaf as hell. I hear some differences but VERY slight and couldn't tell them apart if skipping through the video.

Ignorance is good, I guess.
        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
          I'm definitely tonedeaf as hell. I hear some differences but VERY slight and couldn't tell them apart if skipping through the video.

Ignorance is good, I guess.
          Really the circuits are extremely similar. Outside of the symmetrical vs asymmetrical clipping and a bit of difference in the high pass filtering they are a like.

I would actually think less of your hearing if you were claiming huge differences in them.
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

The Boss is a tiny bit harsher in the highs I think? And the TS is a bit thicker in the mids. In the bass I'm not sure.
            I don't know, man. Two variations of the exact same thing IMO.
            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
              The Boss is a tiny bit harsher in the highs I think? And the TS is a bit thicker in the mids. In the bass I'm not sure.
              I don't know, man. Two variations of the exact same thing IMO.
              Your perceptions are pretty dead on... the circuits are much the same so they sound much the same. The harshness you are hearing is cause the boss clips off less highs than the TS does. The TS's mid hump is a bit more evident.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                I hated the stock SD-1. But putting another $24 into it with the Monte Allums GT mod made it into four awesome pedals. It took it from a mediocre, totally unused pedal into one that's almost always on. Now, I love it.
                I'd love to hear this mod. I did his Blues Driver mod and love it.

Hey Rand-O . . . If you want to try this mod, just buy the kit. I'll do the mod, (for free), play with it for a day, then give it back.

Just one request. If, and when, you get the kit, don't open the bag and mess with the parts and lose half of them.

Artie

Comment

For the record, I have a Tube Screamer.

(And a Stamps Drive-O-Matic!)
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Doesn't Jake E. Lee have an SD-1 on his pedalboard constantly?

Comment

I had one for years, but found it a bit noisy. I've since replaced it with a DF-1, which is equally noisy

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                        Doesn't Jake E. Lee have an SD-1 on his pedalboard constantly?
                        He has a few pedals does Mr E. Lee. An OD-1, an SD-1 and his new signature pedal, along with a fair number of others. His signature pedal is interesting, because he's basically modelled it on the sound of a P90 and the aim is to make a humbucker sound like a P90.

For years though Jake toured exclusively with a SD1, almost using the OD1 as a volume boost with no dirtiness added to the channel.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Hey Rand-O . . . If you want to try this mod, just buy the kit. I'll do the mod, (for free), play with it for a day, then give it back.

Just one request. If, and when, you get the kit, don't open the bag and mess with the parts and lose half of them.

Artie
                          Sounds good,but it'll probably be a few!

Will def take you up on it!

& yeah,I'll just leave the box alone,or maybe just have it shipped to you...
                          "Scalloped & Stickered"
                          A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Artie
                            What do you think the Blues Driver mod did for it?

Comment

Finally got to give it a go!!!

Nice!

Natural & transparent!

Great in front of a driven amp,really good on a clean channel for breakup,still trying to get the vols straight,tho...

"Scalloped & Stickered"
                              A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Artie
                                Take him up on his offer. Trust me.

Comment

Working...
                                X