Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tell Me About the Boss SD-1

Oh,will do!

Just gotta stash away some funds(& beer money)!

"Scalloped & Stickered"
    A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Been messing around with an SD-1 in front of my MT-2 and TT Mayhem alternately. I find it to be much more open than tube screamer type effects. Not as fond of it by itself, but in front of another gain stage, it gives a nice clarity to the distortion without as much of a mid push.

Comment

I use one as my day to day boost pedal, (I have an original cheese source that sounds great but never leaves the house).
        straight into a mildly dirty amp with the sd1's drive backed off & level around 9 o clock I find it gives a perfect boost for single note melodies, boss seemed to have nailed the
        eq shape of the pedal.
        I love it & you can pick them up s/h for peanuts

Comment

I've never used the actual pedal, but it's a model on every piece of modeling gear I own and I use it a fair bit. Really nice clip to it.

Comment

Originally posted by the toad View Post
            I've never used the actual pedal, but it's a model on every piece of modeling gear I own and I use it a fair bit. Really nice clip to it.
            o.0
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

"Gibson" 0.o

Comment

I find it's kinda sorta like a Tube Screamer that's less honky kinda mids and more bitey kinda mids. A bit less compressed as well. A bit more aggressive, crunchy, and less smooth.

Using them as a boost for an already gainy amp, I honestly don't think they are worlds apart. It may not be as close as a TS9 is to a TS808, but the SD-1 kills a bit of low-end and tighten and compress things up as well to an extent.

Comment

Given that the guitar lives in the mids, small shifts in what is emphasized and de-emphasized can make a big difference, especially as overall volume levels increase. I like both of the pedals and will use both in the pedal chain given the choice. If I want honky mids I'll use the tube screamer type pedal. If I just want a clearer, more open sort of drive, I'll go with the SD-1. I really like how it doesn't seem to congest the top end as much as a tube screamer type of boost.

Comment

Is there a mod for creating a "blend" function? At stage volume, it sounds like the balance between clean and dirt is out of whack. I want more dirt, but raising the gain doesn't do it. I guess I want it to be... Less transparent! Gasp!
                    nobody loves me but my mama... and she could be jivin' too.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                      Given that the guitar lives in the mids, small shifts in what is emphasized and de-emphasized can make a big difference, especially as overall volume levels increase.
                      Oh, yeah, for sure, I just meant to say that an SD-1 is close (to me) to a Tube Screamer because it cuts lows and tightens up the tone too. The SD-1 is noticeably crunchier (to me), but it's definitely (again, to me) not as far away from a TS808 as a... say... Blues Driver or Timmy.
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 09-21-2015, 10:19 PM.

Comment

I do agree that they are close. Siblings in fact. Where as the Blues Driver or Timmy (I assume) would be more like first cousins.
                        I love the SD-1 for that glassy top end it has. I love the tube screamers for their nasty grunt. I love running them cascaded, truth be told.

Comment

Originally posted by tubecrunch View Post
                          Is there a mod for creating a "blend" function? At stage volume, it sounds like the balance between clean and dirt is out of whack. I want more dirt, but raising the gain doesn't do it. I guess I want it to be... Less transparent! Gasp!
                          There is no "blend". The signal clips thru those 3 diodes and that it. Adding gain just makes it clip harder.
                          You can buy a pedal called a voodoo labs sparkle drive which blends in some clean but that is the opposite of what you are after.

Check out either a fulltone OCD or the Boss OD-3. I think both of those will do what you are after.
                          Or of course there is always ye olde orange box of hair, the ds-1. Or the black box of 80s...a proco rat.
                          Many flavours of hard clipping. All fun.
                          Last edited by Chickenwings; 09-22-2015, 01:36 AM.
                          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                            Been messing around with an SD-1 in front of my MT-2 and TT Mayhem alternately. I find it to be much more open than tube screamer type effects. Not as fond of it by itself, but in front of another gain stage, it gives a nice clarity to the distortion without as much of a mid push.

Interesting... how much drive are you using on the MT2 to do that? using the SD1 as just a boost? or using some of its drive also?
                            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
                              Just gotta stash away some funds(& beer money)!

Beer money always comes first.

We can do the silly mods anytime.

Artie

Comment

Artie,lemme know when you're gonna have a little down-time,if at all...

Could prolly catch a ride over if the stars/planets line up...
                                "Scalloped & Stickered"
                                A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Working...
                                X