the Hy-Bro neck is in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the Hy-Bro neck is in!

amp looks cool. the 65 is a great speaker too! look forward to hearing clips

Comment

Good news, folks!

Friday I'll be getting the Triple Shot, so I guess I'll be quite busy this weekend... ?

Stay tuned!

Comment

This makes me a bit of a hypocrite because I stated before that specs are secondary to the tonal outcome; but seeing the specs on this proto has really got me interested again. Definitely pumped for a demo and some feedback on it!

Comment

Originally posted by VHTJay View Post
          This makes me a bit of a hypocrite because I stated before that specs are secondary to the tonal outcome
          If you don't know what kind(s) of wire(s) type(s) are and how are used in both coils, DC readings can be very misleading.

but seeing the specs on this proto has really got me interested again. Definitely pumped for a demo and some feedback on it!
          Is that because of the (quite high for a neck p'up) DC reading on the label?

Would you care to explain how do you interpret the sonic outcome of that data? I'm interested to see what exactly drove you to change your mind.

Pretty please?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            amp looks cool. the 65 is a great speaker too! look forward to hearing clips
            That's the Creamback right?
            Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
              That's the Creamback right?
              No, that's the Heritage Series, "Robben Ford approved", pre-Rola spec'ed, G12-65 reissue.

Comment

Hey Pepe,

I suppose the high DC resistance reading surprised me, yes. As for how I think it will sound? I won't go there, especially with a custom shop pickup. I have played pickups from the custom shop that I was CERTAIN would sound one way based on available specs and the magnet used and was surprised when the sonic outcome was different. Like you said yourself....regardless of specs, it is a neck hybrid through and through.

Now.....how do I HOPE it sounds? Haha! Well, enough heat to give leads a nice liquid feel combined with a clear top end and a bottom that is controllable would be killer. So with that, I will patiently await your testing.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                  If you don't know what kind(s) of wire(s) type(s) are and how are used in both coils, DC readings can be very misleading.
                  You're very agreeable there. I would have said totally misleading

Comment

The resistance doesn't seem high to me. It's a neck version of a slightly beefy pickup, not to mention that it's a hybrid using thinner wire on one coil. It's DCR will be higher than its tone would seem to indicate.

I plan on getting two and trying them as a set, probably with a weaker (A2 or A3) magnet in the neck pickup.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I have played pickups from the custom shop that I was CERTAIN would sound one way based on available specs and the magnet used and was surprised when the sonic outcome was different.
                      Exactly! Fx. you can wind two p'ups using the same wire, magnets and even number of turns, but just by varying the way the wire is laid on the bobbin and the tension the wire is applied to the coil, you can have one p'up sounding wooly and soft the other shrill and sharp, with both having a very similar DC reading.

Now.....how do I HOPE it sounds? Haha! Well, enough heat to give leads a nice liquid feel combined with a clear top end and a bottom that is controllable would be killer. So with that, I will patiently await your testing.
                      See, this p'ups design is like NOTHING I've come across before or even thought of making as a hybrid, conceptually speaking. Not even all my decades-long experience could give me a hint.

So, as I can't possibly have any expectations, I don't have any pre-conceived ideas, the only bias I could have in this testing is my own taste. And I'm actually happy of all of this, as can share with the whole SDUGF a real journey of discovery.

I'm SO looking forward to do this...!!!

Comment

Don't really wanna hijack the thread but I've got a quick question. Would the different wire gauges on each coil affect the amount of hum-cancelling? Say if you had 5500 turns of 42 on one coil and 5500 turns of 43 on the other would you still have the "full" hum-cancelling affect? Or would you lose some because of the different wire gauges? Curious as I've never mixed wire gauges before... Feel free to give me a smack if that's a dumb question!
                        Last edited by firebirdguy72; 09-18-2015, 12:40 AM.
                        Originally posted by dg27
                        Salad plates are aerodynamically more effective than dinner plates, which are too heavy.

Comment

No smack, not a dumb question in my book.

The answer is "I don't know". My experience on the matter, having had coils in a HB with a spread as high as 15%, and not having noticed anything abnormal, would say "if there is one, it's too small to matter".

That's the best I can do for you for the time being. Hope it's been helpful somehow.

Comment

Sounds good to me! If the difference is so small it's not really noticeable with a 15 percent spread with the same gauge of wire than I can't really imagine it being much different with two different wire gauges with the same number of turns. Maybe some experiments are due soon...
                            Originally posted by dg27
                            Salad plates are aerodynamically more effective than dinner plates, which are too heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by firebirdguy72 View Post
                              Don't really wanna hijack the thread but I've got a quick question. Would the different wire gauges on each coil affect the amount of hum-cancelling? Say if you had 5500 turns of 42 on one coil and 5500 turns of 43 on the other would you still have the "full" hum-cancelling affect? Or would you lose some because of the different wire gauges? Curious as I've never mixed wire gauges before... Feel free to give me a smack if that's a dumb question!
                              Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                              No smack, not a dumb question in my book.

The answer is "I don't know". My experience on the matter, having had coils in a HB with a spread as high as 15%, and not having noticed anything abnormal, would say "if there is one, it's too small to matter".

That's the best I can do for you for the time being. Hope it's been helpful somehow.
                              Now I could be completely wrong here, but...

My understanding was that if the mass of actual wire is the same then the hum canceling effect isn't affected. That's why a '59 coil and a Custom coil work well together. My personal '59/C doesn't seem to hum any more than any of my other humbuckers. But, like I said, I could be completely wrong.
                              Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                                My understanding was that if the mass of actual wire is the same then the hum canceling effect isn't affected.
                                I think that's exactly what regulates the "hum-bucking" effect: as long as the mass of the coils being wound with different gauges's kept the same, no unbalance should be noticed.

HTH,

Comment

Working...
                                X