Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the Hy-Bro neck is in!

Originally posted by firebirdguy72 View Post
    Sounds good to me! If the difference is so small it's not really noticeable with a 15 percent spread with the same gauge of wire than I can't really imagine it being much different with two different wire gauges with the same number of turns. Maybe some experiments are due soon...
    Well, I know you've spun a few coils, so for a neck p'up I'd try with 6000 turns of SPN #43AWG @95 TPL and tension @ 15% of breaking point on the screw coil and 5000 turns of PE #42AWG, @50 TPL and tension @ 25% of breaking point on the slug coil. Alnico 4.

Then tell me what you think.

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
      Well, I know you've spun a few coils, so for a neck p'up I'd try with 6000 turns of SPN #43AWG @95 TPL and tension @ 15% of breaking point on the screw coil and 5000 turns of PE #42AWG, @50 TPL and tension @ 25% of breaking point on the slug coil. Alnico 4.

Then tell me what you think.

HTH,
      Once again you let us in on a piece of your hard earned knowledge. Thanks! I'll give that a try the next HB I wind. Thanks so much!
      Originally posted by dg27
      Salad plates are aerodynamically more effective than dinner plates, which are too heavy.

Comment

^^
        Given what I know of your work, I can't wait to hear it. Oh, and the Hy-Bro of course.

Comment

The Triple Shots came in today... in the WRONG COLOR.

Seymour Duncan's Italian distributor has NONE IN STOCK of the right color (black). Waiting time for such an order: four to six weeks at least.

Only two music shops offer Triple Shots on-line; none of them has even one in stock.

I've said before and I'll say it again: your brand and your products are not properly represented, being treated like a second class citizen.

Get local people that are passionate in doing their jobs, personally visiting and teaching about the line of products the direct customer: music shops and luthiers.

Fire Casale Bauer!!!!! NOW!!!!!
          Last edited by LtKojak; 09-19-2015, 04:08 AM.

Comment

If they fit the hole, and are otherwise functional, then I say, use them. Chomping at the bit to hear what this new pup sounds like.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              If they fit the hole, and are otherwise functional, then I say, use them. Chomping at the bit to hear what this new pup sounds like.
              Of course I'm going to use'em. Does it look like I have a choice now???

It's just having such a beautiful guitar looking "funny" or "out of place" was definitely NOT part of my plan!!!

EDIT: the holes don't match, so I'll need to plug'em and make new holes... more time wasting. Swell! *NOT*
              Last edited by LtKojak; 09-19-2015, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Bummer, but sometimes an axe looking unusual can inspire.

Comment

This is the jig I've made from cardboard to solder the harness I'm making to the test guitar.

I'm not at my workshop. I'm doing this on purpose, just to show that to do this, if you have the necessary tools and the will to try, all you need is some tabletop space with good light and a little ingenuity.

CTS 500 K pots (all measuring within 2% of the nominal spec) and Mojotone Vitamin T .022 600V Polyester film-on-oil caps are being used for the occasion.
                  Last edited by LtKojak; 09-19-2015, 03:42 AM.

Comment

that jig is a great idea! lol!! i was gonna say that if you weren't gonna use the triple shot, just wire the pup in there so we can find out what the skinny is!!! many of us dont use triple shots anyhow .. Yes, Im being inpatient....

I know it may sound silly, but Im just wowed by the jig idea.. Damn, I wish Id seen this awhile back when I was flipping so many guitars and before I wired up my LPs. Coulda been so much easier and cleaner, wiring things up like that instead of working down in the cavity..
                    Last edited by BloodRose; 09-21-2015, 10:11 AM.
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Harness is in!

Now I need to figure out how to deal with the Triple Shots... stay tuned!
                      Last edited by LtKojak; 09-20-2015, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Oh man! TheTriple Shots are a very clever piece of enginereeing. One of those things that you wonder how come nobody thought of it before!

Having said that, building'em in a guitar is a challenge for pea brains like mine.

It took me a really long time to figure out how to do it without destroying what undoubtedly is a delicate piece of gear.

As you can see, the job on the Hy-Bro is much better than the '59/Custom Hybrid . Well, I have to thank Frank Falbo for the video he made about installing the TS without cutting the lead short, as I did with the '59/Custom Hybrid.

if everything goes as planned, and Murphy doesn't play a joke on me, now that both p'ups are ready, by the end of the afternoon I'll be playing the first notes with the finished test instrument.

Stay tuned!
                        Last edited by LtKojak; 09-20-2015, 11:23 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Comment

IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE!!!!

All ready for intonation and basic setup. On a couple of days, once the neck and strings stabilize, she'll be ready to perform.

Stay tuned!
                          Last edited by LtKojak; 09-20-2015, 09:55 AM.

Comment

I'm sorry but you're wrong, cream looks great on that guitar with the gold hardware and gold-ish binding.
                            Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
                            I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                            Originally posted by That90'sGuy
                            Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

I actually prefer creme trim rings on a black Les Paul that also has creme binding. It ties it in better than if it were black rings. Black rings would make it look more like a Studio model. Maybe the color will grow on you and you will prefer this to the black set you were expecting.

Comment

Man, even though they came with wrong color, I couldn't be any happier with the Triple Shots.

The Parallel setting, together with the '50s wiring and the incredibly nice-sounding Mojo Vitamin T caps, with the Tone control set to 4.5 makes this instrument a joy to play.

My first impression of the Hy-Bro neck can be be summed in one word: FAT!

Stay tuned!

Comment

Working...
                                X