Dave Murray and victory amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Murray and victory amps

I had to do a search cause I felt the latest maiden tones were a bit off. I personally think they are too dark and muffled on the album. I would have guessed orange amps, but looks like dave went with another English variety, victory amps.

While I don't know that their jmp-1 days were the best, I'd think with their kind of dough they'd invest in some killer vintage Marshalls.

Last edited by DankStar; 09-15-2015, 12:55 AM.

Re: Dave Murray and victory amps

I'd say the problem lies in production more than anything else.
    Originally posted by Myaccount876
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Agreed, wouldn't blame the amp for the muddiness...but still...
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
        I'd think with their kind of dough they'd invest in some killer vintage Marshalls.
        With their kind of dough they could afford a roomful of amps and play the most inspiring one.

You see, vintage Marshalls don't have the gain for this while modern ones don't have the guts.

The master is warm and tape-like. Bump it up with a high shelving filter if it sounds muddy on your gear.

Comment

yeah, probably just the overall production/mastering.

interesting he chose to go back to a head/cab setup.

Comment

Every time Maiden't tones seem off it's because they deviated away from Marshall. Their GK period was the worst.

It also doesn't help that they're trying to blend three guitar players together, all with similar tones. Everyone knows they sounded more defined with just Murray and Smith. But now it's too late....they can't really fire Jannick.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
              Every time Maiden't tones seem off it's because they deviated away from Marshall. Their GK period was the worst.

It also doesn't help that they're trying to blend three guitar players together, all with similar tones. Everyone knows they sounded more defined with just Murray and Smith. But now it's too late....they can't really fire Jannick.
              I actually liked the somewhere in time tones, but they were pretty weird compared to their typical marshall sound.

yeah, I think they need to do some EQ oddities to get 3 guitars to fit. there's at least one solo/harmony part that comes in that's like being played through a telephone ear piece speaker, and I don't think it was to deliberately sound old-timey.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post

Yeah, but the production on Seventh Son was great, and made for a classic album, and one of their bests.
                Originally posted by Myaccount876
                Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

I actually love SIT and Seventh Son. Great riffs, epic melodies and Seventh's production is superb.

The problem with Book Of Souls is mastering in my opinion. Trying to listen it with good hifi and it sounds awful. At least the 180g vinyl sounds decent.
                  Burny RLG-60, Baton Rouge AR81C/GACE
                  Line6 Helix LT, DV Mark Little 250GH, DV Mark Neoclassic 212

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                  Musicians are ****ing retards.
                  Originally posted by ex-250
                  Beer can never be the source of wrong.

Comment

The Victory Amps Chappers had on were pretty sweet I thought. I talked to the Captain (Lee Anderton) (super cool guy by the way) about ordering one but its was retarded expensive getting it to the states. That'e when they first burst on the scene and they were playing them on every video. I ordered a new Les Paul instead and abandonded that dream. If you can get them in the states now though I'd be interested in one.

Comment

They have 4 US distributors according to their site. 2 in NY, 1 in California, and one in Minnesota
                      sigpic
                      Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
                        Yeah, but the production on Seventh Son was great, and made for a classic album, and one of their bests.
                        +1 I dig SIT too. Adrian's solo on Stranger In A Strange Land is one of my all time favorites. The way it starts, builds, goes off, just completely epic.
                        Gonna have to pick up BOS on vinyl this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
                          Seventh Son? Really? I always hated the sound on that album because it seemed too synth-laden and '80s cheese. I do like Somewhere In Time though, because I think the songs are stronger on that album than Seventh Son.

Comment

I liked Seventh son..yeah, the synth meant a departure from the Maiden sound up to that point, but Somewhere in time was already a departure before that. Being old enough to have actually (insanely) anticipated the release of both those albums....Somewhere in Time was probably the bigger change. They did'nt really want themselves associated with synth/keys at the time ..probably apprehensive of how it would be received by fans. So Somewhere in Time was touted as having guitar synth on it as opposed to "keyboards" & the positive reception of that album by the fans paved the way for them to step out and use actual keyboards on Seventh Son. Personally I thought that album sounded pretty cool..I mean if you look at the sounds/production their peers like Priest & Saxon were using at the time..it would be criminal to call Maiden 'cheesy' by comparison

As for the Book of Souls production ..I love it. No complaints whatsoever ..everything about it sounds ****ing excellent to my ears and I play my stuff through what would generally be considered "good hi-fi" ..def nothing muddy about it at all. In the end it's probably subjective and I suppose, compared to the average modern production it's "different" (but that's "in a good way" to me..).
                            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I will bite the bullet: My favorite Maiden tone is Fear of the Dark just because it is kind of different to other albums and I think is their heavier tone ever. And their tone in book of souls is not my favorite for sure.
                              Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
                              X