Dave Murray and victory amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dave Murray and victory amps

I like Seventh Son, but it's not on the same level as their classic albums.

Comment

I did not care for Somewhere in Time or 7th Son. That started the "sing-along-songs" period IMO, and frankly, IMO, Bruce's return has focused on those.

In my opinion, the last studio album Iron Maiden put out that was worth a damn was Powerslave. It had nothing to do with what amps, guitars, pickups, or pedals they were using, or the production. There were great songs and solid musicianship from start to finish. With Somewhere In Time, it seemed Bruce had gotten very fond of hearing his own voice. When 7th Son came out, it was more evident, and I would not be surprised if it was a part of the reason he left. As well, Steve Harris' fondness for writing songs based on books he'd read had reached too far with The Loneliness Of The Long-Distance Runner.

I'm still waiting for the album featuring song titles like "5 Pillars of Total Quality Management", "6-Sigma Explained", and "How To Win Friends and Influence People".

I suppose I should be glad he hasn't written song based on Mein Kampf, or the "Twilight" series.

I am a huge Iron Maiden fan from the early 80s. I had multiple copies of the first 2 albums and Maiden Japan, but right about 1987, they lost something and did not get it back IMO.
      Originally posted by Brown Note
      I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
      My Blog

Comment

^^ I agree with the fact that Powerslave was the last true full on maiden madness! Although I have to say the production played a HUGE role in conveying those songs so well...it is my favourite album for both of those reasons.
        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
          I did not care for Somewhere in Time or 7th Son. That started the "sing-along-songs" period IMO, and frankly, IMO, Bruce's return has focused on those.

In my opinion, the last studio album Iron Maiden put out that was worth a damn was Powerslave. It had nothing to do with what amps, guitars, pickups, or pedals they were using, or the production. There were great songs and solid musicianship from start to finish. With Somewhere In Time, it seemed Bruce had gotten very fond of hearing his own voice. When 7th Son came out, it was more evident, and I would not be surprised if it was a part of the reason he left. As well, Steve Harris' fondness for writing songs based on books he'd read had reached too far with The Loneliness Of The Long-Distance Runner.

I'm still waiting for the album featuring song titles like "5 Pillars of Total Quality Management", "6-Sigma Explained", and "How To Win Friends and Influence People".

I suppose I should be glad he hasn't written song based on Mein Kampf, or the "Twilight" series.

I am a huge Iron Maiden fan from the early 80s. I had multiple copies of the first 2 albums and Maiden Japan, but right about 1987, they lost something and did not get it back IMO.
          I actually want to hear a song based on Mein Kampf.
          Originally posted by Myaccount876
          Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

I LOVE Maiden. I think all of the 80s records sound great. I also love what they did with Somewhere in Time. They created an Outer Space/Out of Time vibe on the record with the production. It blew me away in '86.

To me, Piece of Mind, Powerslave and Somewhere in Time is the Great Iron Maiden Trilogy.

I just like how each album sounds different but I'll have to say that Kevin Shirley isn't doing the best job capturing the 3 guitars and don't get me started on the drums...A Matter of Life and Death sounds the best out of the latest albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
              they can't really fire Jannick.
              Why not? I saw the 2009 video on PALLADIA and he seemed like the odd man out. Get rid of him pronto!

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                ^^ I agree with the fact that Powerslave was the last true full on maiden madness! Although I have to say the production played a HUGE role in conveying those songs so well...it is my favourite album for both of those reasons.
                ExaCTLY! After Powerslave, I really lost interest in Iron Maiden. I hope they can pull out one last GREAT album before they are done.

Comment

Screw the haters. A Matter of Life and Death is awesome, and the production is fine. It's raw, in your face, balanced, and dynamic. Perfect for Iron Maiden. Their worst albums are their most over-produced.

And I don't have a problem with Jannick/3 guitars either. It's cool when you can have twin lead guitars harmonizing without the rhythm guitar suddenly dropping out and making the whole thing sound empty.
                  Last edited by Myaccount876; 01-21-2016, 09:07 PM.

Comment

When I saw them for the World Slavery Tour in 1984, when it was just 2 guitars, there was no discernable drop-out when they did their harmonies. Then again, I didn't fancy myself a producer at the time, and wasn't there as a critic, but as a fan.
                    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                    My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                      When I saw them for the World Slavery Tour in 1984, when it was just 2 guitars, there was no discernable drop-out when they did their harmonies. Then again, I didn't fancy myself a producer at the time, and wasn't there as a critic, but as a fan.
                      Nice. I saw them twice on that tour and it sounded awesome.

Comment

It's not nearly as noticeable live - because you're being hit by a wall of sound that has less sonic gaps, and Steve Harris is such a great bass player who is turned up in the mix, but I think it is really noticeable on say, To Tame a Land around 5:40. I hear a sonic gap between the lead guitars and the rhythm section. It still sounds awesome, but I'd like a bit more of a bridge between the lead section and the rhythm section. In my opinion, that problem hasn't occurred since they've had the triple guitar setup. Don't get me wrong; that Murray/Smith twin guitar setup was and still is phenomenal, but a pet peeve of mine is a drop out in the rhythm section when there isn't a rhythm guitar (which I find can be remedied by various solutions: Keyboards, an exceptional bass player that, leads that keep to a range around middle C rather than high up on the fretboard, possibly an octave fuzz effect on the bass, etc).

Comment

Well, the production quality on Piece of Mind was seriously undercut across the board. There's a noticeable volume difference between Number Of The Beast and Powerslave that drives me up the wall. With that in mind, the "drop out" is understandable. I agree they could've treated Steve's bass tone for that part. It also probably doesn't help he's riffing so high up, when a lower range would've worked better for the foundation, as it did with The Trooper.
                          My Blog

Comment

I also think the drums sit a tad too quietly in that part, when that part should be the climax of the song; having a lot of intensity and punch.

The twin leads on Hallowed Be Thy Name work well without any dropout, but I can hear a third rhythm guitar tracked in the background on certain sections (0:59), and it really ties everything together well. It doesn't take much - a third rhythm guitar can sit way back in the mix and basically mimic the bass parts/chord changes, and it'll sound great. It also helps that their twin leads on that song aren't too high on the fretboard - they're more in the middle octave range.

Then Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son use keyboards (IMO, SIT is the much better of the two) to bridge that gap between the rhythm section and twin leads. Deja Vu is an excellent example - it's also one of my favorite Maiden songs. Very melodic, and it builds/releases tension in all the right places without sounding empty.
                            Last edited by Myaccount876; 01-24-2016, 01:10 AM.

Comment

For Hallowed, that specific part you reference (0:59) does have 3 guitars (maybe an early BOSS harmonizer pedal?), but the section at 2:51 and again at 5:49 is all drums and Steve's clanky bass carrying the rhythm.
                              My Blog

Comment

I'm just glad they're still around. Lets face it, for a lot of the bands we grew up listening to, time's almost up.

On a side note, Victory makes a great-sounding amp!

Comment

Working...
                                X