Tube Question – Replacing a 12AX7 with a 12AT7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Question – Replacing a 12AX7 with a 12AT7

Anyone replaced a 12AX7 with a 12AT7 in a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe? (or similar)

I am trying to tone down the volume on my HRD–I don't use the gain section of the amp due to my pedals.

Thoughts?

Re: Tube Question – Replacing a 12AX7 with a 12AT7

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/mod...ot-rod-deluxe/

http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=73704

http://web.archive.org/web/200612311...rod_deluxe.pdf

Go for it, says I...
    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Sweet! Thanks for the added information!

Comment

Pick up a 12AY7 as well if you are playing with tube swaps. The EH is a very decent tube. Worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
          Pick up a 12AY7 as well if you are playing with tube swaps. The EH is a very decent tube. Worth a try.
          Thanks! I will look into that–just got the 12AT7 for right now.

Comment

Depending on the amp and preamp position swapped, an AT7 can either do exactly what you're after or completely suck the life/personality/zest right out of your amp.
            Only way to know, is to try.
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
              Depending on the amp and preamp position swapped, an AT7 can either do exactly what you're after or completely suck the life/personality/zest right out of your amp.
              Only way to know, is to try.
              I watched this video and he only changed the first one (left to right when amp is face/speaker down) and it sure seemed to adjust the volume very well! I don't use the gain section (had it modded to more of a Mesa Boogie style drive) because of my pedals. Am interested in how this will sound!

Comment

Update: So I got the 12AT7 in yesterday and really dig the tone and volume. I can go up to 4 in the Apartment at what the volume was between 2 and 3 with the 12AX7.

The only thing is I did notice a slight change in the tone with my Golden Cello...not quite sure if I like it better or worse. The Suhr Shiba Drive sounded much better with it...can't explain why though. I do like having a tad more clean headroom...will play it live this Sunday and will see (rather hear lol) how it responds there.

Comment

The fun part is changing which position you put the tube in, and how it changes the amp response.

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
                    The fun part is changing which position you put the tube in, and how it changes the amp response.
                    I should try that as well–but I was enjoying it so much I didn't want to turn off the amp and let the tubes cool down. lol

I may switch back just because of the change in response with the Golden Cello BUT I will wait until after I've played it live. It wasn't a drastic change just a noticeable difference.

Comment

You can also put different gain values in different spots, for different end results... I've got a Crate V18 where I put a 12AY7 into the PI position, and a 12AT7 into the V1 (I think, I'd have to go back and look...), and gave the amp a lot more headroom (which it needed badly... very hot amp...)

Comment

You can also put different gain values in different spots, for different end results... I've got a Crate V18 where I put a 12AY7 into the PI position, and a 12AT7 into the V1 (I think, I'd have to go back and look...), and gave the amp a lot more headroom (which it needed badly... very hot amp...)
                        Cool stuff man! I'm anxious to try my HRD live to see how much head room I have with the 12AT7...I was able to move up around 1.5 notches in the Apartment which means I should be able to pop up to 5 or 6 in my regular gig.

I nearly bought a Crate V18 off of Craigslist--looked like a cool amp and I've had great experiences with Crate products (all solid state though.)

Comment

A note of caution: the amp has more bass than it knows what to do with (not always a bad thing... I intend to run it in stereo with my Egnater Tweaker, which is lacking in bass) when it's working correctly (which leads me to my main issue with the amp - the reverb circuit craps itself more often than I play it (the connections somehow short themselves and produce a feedback loop)).

Comment

A note of caution: the amp has more bass than it knows what to do with (not always a bad thing... I intend to run it in stereo with my Egnater Tweaker, which is lacking in bass) when it's working correctly (which leads me to my main issue with the amp - the reverb circuit craps itself more often than I play it (the connections somehow short themselves and produce a feedback loop)).
                            Are you talking about the Crate V18 or the Hot Rod Deluxe? (apologies for my confusion!)

I decided against the Crate–the seller was very kind and after talking about what I was looking for he said the amp was not what I was going for (I was looking for a tube amp in the interim of my HRD being in the shop.)

I am still looking for a Fender Blues Jr., that would be the next amp I buy.

Comment

The V18. A Fender Blues Jr. is probably in my future, as well. Either that or finally gulp the Mesa koolaid and get one of them. I like my flexibility, but I don't need buttloads of amps cramping up my space.

Comment

Working...
                              X