I need a new Wah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I need a new Wah

Can't beat a 535q.. I have had em all and the only one I liked better was my Dime CFH wah which is pretty much a 535.

Comment

Originally posted by Shooter.556 View Post
      Can't beat a 535q.

+1. Dunlop's got a full line of wah models (like 15 or more?); there's one for everybody. On the other hand, I don't understand Vox: I think they currently offer 3 models, none have easy access battery compartments, and one doesn't even have an AC plug. Unscrewing the entire bottom plate to change batteries is archaic. Players expect ease of use and more features these days; there's a lot of competition and Vox doesn't seem to have much more than a token interest.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
        +1. Dunlop's got a full line of wah models (like 15 or more?); there's one for everybody. On the other hand, I don't understand Vox: I think they currently offer 3 models, none have easy access battery compartments, and one doesn't even have an AC plug. Unscrewing the entire bottom plate to change batteries is archaic. Players expect ease of use and more features these days; there's a lot of competition and Vox doesn't seem to have much more than a token interest.
        Well the history of the Vox Wah vs. Crybaby is that they were originally both made by the Thomas Organ Company, and today the circuit is still identical between the two brands. They weren't competing, having two brands was just making the wah more available to different regions through distribution deals between the two different brands. That, and the Crybaby in today's world is Dunlop's flagship product, and owned by MXR who focuses on the pedal market. On the other hand, Vox is known more for their amplifiers, and owned by Korg. The two companies focus on different markets in the guitar business.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
          The two companies focus on different markets in the guitar business.

Bottom line is both are making wah's today. What the consumer sees is that Dunlop's really putting effort into theirs, incorporating some great ideas and user-requested features, while Vox is apparently bored and going thru the motions. What's the old saying "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I just picked up a used Ibanez WD7 Demon. I'm impressed. It's a versatile wah with a lot of well-thought out features and a whole range of tone options. Not a traditional sounding wah, but a lot of players today are beyond the basic 1960's wah. One of the complaints about some wah's is that the controls don't change the sound much. That's not the case with this Ibanez. You can dial in all kinds of tones.
            Last edited by blueman335; 10-02-2015, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Hi Ace,

[waves]

The Dunlop Jerry Cantrell wah is fantastic.

It's a great cocked wah for toning and it wahs great as well.

I haven't bought a wah since this thing came out and I used to buy wahs like it was my job.
              For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                I just picked up a used Ibanez WD7 Demon. I'm impressed. It's a versatile wah with a lot of well-thought out features and a whole range of tone options. Not a traditional sounding wah, but a lot of players today are beyond the basic 1960's wah. One of the complaints about the BBE wah is that the controls don't change the sound much. That's not the case with this Ibanez. You can dial in all kinds of tones.
                Important on that is the Tone-Lok feature. Controls are safely tucked away unlike a number with dials on the side…
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have a WD7 and I think it's a good pedal. It also lets you switch between activating it with a foot switch or activating it when you step on the wah controller.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Important on that is the Tone-Lok feature. Controls are safely tucked away unlike a number with dials on the side…

They really did a good job designing it. They obviously talked to a number of players and got their suggestions. Same approach Leo Fender took with designing the Precision Bass, which set the standard for electric basses: Talk to the guys you want to buy it, listen and learn what they're looking for.

Comment

Another good wah is the Ernie Ball 6185, recently out of production, but still readily available and affordable. Easy-access battery compartment and AC adapter plug. Doesn't have adjustment knobs on the outside, but the tone is full and vocal-sounding without a harsh high end. I really like the thin rocker pedal.

Comment

Actually looking at some Snarling Dogs pedals….

535Q, Ibanez Demon, Snarling Dogs...any decision on a wah yet, Aceman?

Comment

As much love as I have for the 535 - NO

I've been shopping Demons.

Can't find the right Dawg at the right price.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

As much love as I have for the 535 - NO

I've been shopping Demons.

Can't find the right Dawg at the right price.

I've seen used Demons in good condition at attractive prices. You really can't go wrong with one. It'd probably be a big upgrade from your old one, as it's loaded with great features. Even if you decided it wasn't for you, you could sell it for what you paid for it.

Comment

The only reason I wouldn't get a Demon is if I could get a Morley for the same price.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                                The only reason I wouldn't get a Demon is if I could get a Morley for the same price.

Some of the Morley reviews I've read haven't been kind. Being a (new) Demon owner, I'm blown away by the range of wah sounds you can get from it.

Comment

Working...
                                X