banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100 watt amps. Do you really need that much power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 100 watt amps. Do you really need that much power?

I run a 100 watt Carvin Legacy and that amp doesn’t have the Marshall thing where it needs to be up around 5 to sound good, but it starts rattling windows at around 3 on the volume knob. I love the actual tone of the amp but I have never needed quite that much power. I usually keep an attenuator on it to keep it under control. The only situation where I found the extra power useful was playing outdoors without being miced through a PA, where your sound just disperses a lot. I think the maximum amount of power I’d ever need would be a 50 watt tube halfstack or combo. I say halfstack because I love the bottom end the overall dimension a 4x12 gives you.30 watts would be perfect for most gigs but I haven’t found a 30W EL34 powered amp that I like yet.

100W of tube power has it’s uses but IMO they’re few and far between.

Comment

i think the most wattage i would EVER want would be like 40. 20 is also plenty.

Comment

Well... It is a tough one.. I have a big love for old 100watt Marshalls, and high power 80s and 90s high gain amps.

But after I got my 4x12.. My 50watt engl is plenty loud for what I want ATM.

That said, if I got a arena gig, I will get a bunch of plexis or Screamers as my backline.. At least 3 and 6 4x12

its also a matter of what you are looking for in the amplifier. One guy wants headroom, and will rather use pedals to get drive, while some like me, drives the power amp, and someone does a whole different thing.

Comment

I'd be happy with an amp that had a 5w and 1watt switch...

Comment

Originally posted by Christobevii3 View Post
            I'd be happy with an amp that had a 5w and 1watt switch...
            Could you hear yourself over drums?
            *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
            Originally posted by Slash2987
            Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
            Originally posted by PVFan
            I'm a good sex man.
            Originally posted by Grumpy
            I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by ex-250 View Post
              i definately dont need all 120w of my XXX......but it sounds so threatening
              That's key. If you can't outplay your rivals, you can atleast blow them all away by the power of your gear!
              "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
              "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
              "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
              "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

High power tube amps are great. But they're not for everyone, and not everyone should use the things.

I have a SoundCity SC120 head that Doug Roccaforte rebuilt and using a Marshall Masterlead style preamp section. There's nothing like having that much power behind your sound. And it's not really that much about being loud either. There's just a very thick, solid sound behind you.

I haven't pulled that amp out in a while because it's just an insane amount of power. And even though I usually use a JTM45, or a cathode biased SF Bassman (both have more power than I need) the SC120 is just pure magic.

Almost nobody actually needs 100 or 120watt amps, but there's more to having that much power than db levels or bragging rights.

4 to 6 EL34 tubes singing together, and large output tranformers, sound great.

Pete

Comment

In a band setting I never turn my 50 watt >50 caliber over 3 . . . . anymore and the rhythm section begins to *****!! hahahaha
                  Epiphone Sg - Kent Armstrong P-90n, Anderson H3b
                  Epiphone Les Paul Limited edition - TB-14b, FREDn
                  Dean FBD ML - SH13b, Zebra '59n
                  Waynes World Squire MIJ strat - Antiquity surfer set
                  Ovation acoustic

Mesa .50 caliber+
                  Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Comment

Working...
                  X