banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100 watt amps. Do you really need that much power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 100 watt amps. Do you really need that much power?

when jamming with a drummer and bassist, my amp never goes over 6. its soo loud, you cant even hear the drummer if its higher than that!
    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
    fender mim standard strat
    peavey classic 30
    johnson j-station
    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
    yamaha f-310p acoustic
    taylor 410 acoustic
    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

I used tube heads since I was 15, but now I just take my Line 6 Vetta II head to practice and gigs. Does me fine.

One thing I hate concerning volume is that we play louder at rehearsal than gigs. I am usually the last one at practice and the guys are cranked! Especially our lead singer/guitarist....has his amp cranked and it's solid state. I have to turn way up to compete or crank the mids......crazy. They won't listen!

Comment

while i do love my 100w twin and 50w marshall, my 15w blues jr gets way more use. i can actually crank it up and some killer tone without ripping off heads

Comment

the main reason I didn't get the peavey XXX is because of the 120 watts. Way too much. They should make a 50 watt head. My 50 watter is waaaay more than enough

Comment

It's nice to have a 100 watter in your arsenal, But for most gigs it's overkill.
            Years ago I used a 135 watt Twin in small clubs (volume on 8 !!) I was drowning out the drummer (who was a hard hitter) make 'in him play harder
            and his meter faster. And the singer was blowing his voice out. So no matter
            how good I played or my tone was, I was make'in my band sound like crap. So It smartend up and retired the Twin , And brought a
            15 watt Princeton Reverb. That's all I needed !!
            http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I've always liked takin a smaller amp and openin' er up !!!
              Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Future amps should definitely have more power options. I mentioned this with the Satriani thread, but would it kill companies to make amps that can be 100, but can also be adjustable with a knob to 50 , 30 etc? 50w is all you need for any gig, even unmic'd.
                Originally posted by kevlar3000
                I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                Originally posted by Zerberus
                Better is often the enemy of good
                Originally posted by ginormous
                Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
                  Future amps should definitely have more power options. I mentioned this with the Satriani thread, but would it kill companies to make amps that can be 100, but can also be adjustable with a knob to 50 , 30 etc? 50w is all you need for any gig, even unmic'd.
                  Yeah ,That Idea has been around for a while. I had a 70's Musicman head
                  that hade a 1/2 power switch. ( I should have held onto that amp) The
                  Fender red knob 'The Twin' from the 80's had a 100w to 25w switch. Your
                  right thought, EVERY amp should come with that STD.
                  http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

HOORAY! if get a mesa boogie single recto head thats all ill ever need! I wont have to shag out another 500 for a 100 watt cuz thats too much! even 50 would be alot! WHOOO HOOO!!!!!
                    Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

one more thing, how about the triple rectifier heads??!??!~ i know tom delonge uses one into 2 mesa 4 x 12 recto cabs! How the hell does he not kill anyone with that thing??!?!?!?!??!?!?!!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?...WHO CAN USE 150 watts of high gain recto power??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!??!?

Comment

PLus he uses VERY hot pick ups...liek the invader or the dirty fingers! WOW

Comment

Its all about image and the very clever marketing ploy by all the big boys - Marshall, Mesa etc to have you buy amps that you really cannot use until such time as the power tubes are starting to glow hot and then comes the sweet tones. In my early days I have had Marshall, Hiwatt, Soundcity stacks and although nice to be honest you played so loud that it was difficult to get a good tone acroos the whole band because of the imbalance. This was at a time when PA systems were frankly crap!!

You really don't need 100w amps unless you are gigging in stadiums, large stages - most of the "stage gear" that you find are actually dummies - and no sound is coming at all, just there to say oh how impressive!! Most of the time I use Blues Junior linked upped and off the floor on stands, other times I will use my Nomad 55 and ext speakers but again these are off the floor (see the picture below for an example of what I use).

Normans Guitars

Comment

Tech21 Trademark 60 (60watts)....Power Engine 60 adds 60 more watts, if EVER needed.

SansAmp PSA-1...lotsa different amps in one package & you choose the output.

THD UniValve........15 LOUD watts of completely saturated tube tone.

Any of that can be miked or run to a P.A. if needed...........

I'm not gigging...mainly play at home or jamming with friends, occassionally out somewhere...so I don't have the obstacles some of you have. But for what it's worth, I'd rather hear every note being played with beautiful tone than something cranked out so loud that all you hear is noise.

I think 100 watts is a marketing ploy that hinges on young guys...it buys into the myth & makes them believe that "Bigger is Better". It's not the size of the toys boys....it's all in how you use that thang!!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                            Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                            FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                            http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Some people "need" a 100 watt amp in the same way some people "need" tubes. Tube amps sound different than SS amps and 100 watt amps sound different than 30 watt amps.

Comment

no, you don't need 100w...

you need a 200w all tube Marshall Major. And not a halfstack, the full one.

Those things are insane...

but, in reality, i'd agree that 50w will prolly be plenty for any gig you'd be doing...
                                '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
                                Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
                                '66 Fender Bassman
                                Fender Champion 600
                                Fender Stage 100

Comment

Working...
                                X