banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100 watt amps. Do you really need that much power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 100 watt amps. Do you really need that much power?

Years ago, I spoke with Roy Buchannan between shows about this. He said he always had mic'd his Vibrolux through the PA system and never needed anything more powerful. Made a lot of sense to me. I used to have a pre-CBS Twin at that time, which sounded great, but was may more powerful than I ever needed.
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Originally posted by TheProphet View Post
      No ... it's because Drummers don't have volume control.

Standing next to a drummer's crash symbol teaches you the value of earplugs
      You got that right. Though I'm not sure which is worse, the crash or the snare. Is there a way to set up so that neither one is closer to me?

Anyway, if you're talking solid state, 120 watts might not even be enough. (And on a bass amp you need 120 watts just for the harmonics.) But 40 watts of tube is enough for most clubs, though I generally need more for the headroom for a good clean tone. My 60-watt tends to break up a little past 4 on the master which is right at club volume when the drummer starts ripping.
      Generic signature line.

Comment

Old threads again...

Comment

Not all amps are created equal. I had a VHT 100UL that was ungodly loud and unusable for me....but my 100 Dual Rectifier sat perfect at the right volume for what I needed. Plus, I find more of what I want in the preamp regardless of the power amp. Still a well made power made, including output transformer make a difference for sure.

I stil lfind for our music in this current band, I prefer a 50-100 watt amp turned down than a low wattage amp turned up.

Comment

IMO, 100 watts is WAAAY 2 much......the ONLY reason I own my Crate
            BV-120HR 120 watt 1/2 stack is Because I got it for CHEAP......hence why I had 2 go spent another chunk of money on my Crate V3112TT....and now it's ALL I use!!

~MITCH~
            Buy My Neck!!!

Stage3-1

Comment

I wish my YCV80 was the YCV40 its is LOUD!
              #1: Gibson SG Classic [Antiquity P-90 Set]
              #2: Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster [Tonerider TRT2 Set]
              #3: Hamer Sunburst MIK [Pearly Gates Set]
              #4: Agile AL-2000 [59/JB Set]
              #5: Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster [Stock Singles]
              Amp Head: Egnater Tweaker 15 [Tung-Sol & JJ Tubes]
              Amp Cabinet: Chilly Bird Pro Audio Oversized Closed Back 1x12 [Eminence Wizard]
              Brim Pedaltrain Mini: Pitchblack, Dual unLTD, SUF Violet Ramshead, R-S Phaser, TC Flashback. Pod HD Desktop.

Comment

I's take a 100W over a 30W. But that's because I don't really like the amp to break up when I'm playing cleans, and if i want a bluesy sound with a hint of dirt I could use my boost pedal (which goes up to 6x) to push the pre-amp harder. Plus if I ever play arenas I'd be set!!

Nothing wrong with playing a smaller amp though. My next amp will be 40W tube. LOUD!! Hopefully I can get it loud enough for a gig before it breaks up, maybe right at the point of just before break up, that's a pretty sweet spot.
                "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

100w would be good, but I have a 75w head and its loud as hell. At practice I put it at 6 on the master volume and its more than enough. Last show was an outdoor gig and I only had to put it at 4. Nothing wrong with 100w but its not exactly neccesary. Especially when they mic you up at clubs.

Comment

You don't NEED 100 watts, but I definitely like the headroom 100 watt amps deliver.
                    This space is for rent.

Comment

Originally posted by Rid View Post
                      I also use a +200 watts Hiwatt top....nothing beats those powertrannies...the sound is just awesome, great studioamp or bassamp
                      I have to borrow it, when I am gonna record my album. Gonna run it flat out with a SD-1 infront of it.

Comment

What about solid state? Do you need 100w if your're playing SS?

CoachC

Comment

It all depends on the room. Cozy rooms love a smaller amp turned up higher, and big rooms love a big amp running a bit louder. Not much louder, and nobody ever said that every tube amp needs to be turned full up every time...if you can't get a tube amp to sound good without dimeing the volume, I'd say to learn how to adjust them to get a great tone out of them...like setting the EQ from 20 feet away instead of right beside it. Everything on ten all the time is a copout at any rate, IMO.
                          Outside gigs LOVE a big amp pushing 4-8 speakers...you have to move a sh!t load more air outside to seem as loud. I know, mic through the PA, blahblahblah. For me, I'd rather be loud enough for the front of house, and the stage to have good, controlable sound without being excessive, and then only the vocals and some bass and drums need come through the monitors. Makes the stage a better mix for me.
                          - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                          Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                          The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I play 120 watts in my garage and it just right

wha'dya say???
                            Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

I've got 60 watts of solid state power, and it's perfect for rehearsals, that's with a LOUD drummer! Volume on 6 does the job. And for gigs, a nice mic in front does it. No worries.

A 2x12 extension wouldn't be bad though... with two V30s!
                              Last edited by Diego; 06-20-2007, 10:10 AM.
                              Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                              Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                              Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                              Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                                I love all amps, for what they all do. I know you guys are sick of all the Bogner talk here, but I think that sucker is rated at 120W.
                                The only difference is that Reinholdt Bogner is the amplifier engineering equivalent of Rupert Neve. He's done what no other amp builder has done...
                                Create a multichannel amp that sounds cranked at any volume level you choose. Even the EQ is laid out like a Neve mixing console. 12 is neutral, and everything else subtracts or adds. He runs the power section hard at all times, and designed a better preamp section that ANY other amp builder in history. Have you seen any preamp other than the Bogner Fish that sells used for over $2500? NO. That's why.

I NEVER get tired of Bogner talk dood. And I don't even own one. But I WILL own one within the year. And knowing me, I'll end-up with TWO of them because when I find something I like I always want a spare. So I see two EL34 Shiva's in my future. I can hardly wait!
                                "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Working...
                                X