Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 100 watt amps. Do you really need that much power?

Default Re: 100 watt amps. Do you really need that much power?

Quote Originally Posted by ex-250 View Post
    i definately dont need all 120w of my XXX......but it sounds so threatening
    That's key. If you can't outplay your rivals, you can atleast blow them all away by the power of your gear!
    "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
    "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
    "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
    "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

High power tube amps are great. But they're not for everyone, and not everyone should use the things.

I have a SoundCity SC120 head that Doug Roccaforte rebuilt and using a Marshall Masterlead style preamp section. There's nothing like having that much power behind your sound. And it's not really that much about being loud either. There's just a very thick, solid sound behind you.

I haven't pulled that amp out in a while because it's just an insane amount of power. And even though I usually use a JTM45, or a cathode biased SF Bassman (both have more power than I need) the SC120 is just pure magic.

Almost nobody actually needs 100 or 120watt amps, but there's more to having that much power than db levels or bragging rights.

4 to 6 EL34 tubes singing together, and large output tranformers, sound great.

Pete

Ultimate Tone Member Sleeping Martyr's Avatar

In a band setting I never turn my 50 watt >50 caliber over 3 . . . . anymore and the rhythm section begins to *****!! hahahaha
    Epiphone Sg - Kent Armstrong P-90n, Anderson H3b
    Epiphone Les Paul Limited edition - TB-14b, FREDn
    Dean FBD ML - SH13b, Zebra '59n
    Waynes World Squire MIJ strat - Antiquity surfer set
    Ovation acoustic

Mesa .50 caliber+
    Mesa Rectifier 4x12