Is this an insane idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this an insane idea?

I'm looking at getting a new Amp setup, and I found this good looking amp: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...id^51870555867

It even has an actual jack between the amp and cabinet part of the combo. This means I can run to a extra cabnet, or plug in a separate amp head later on.

This way I have options later on for buying another amp, like a small amp head.

How are Jet City speakers?
    Last edited by TRex; 10-01-2015, 07:56 PM.

Re: Is this an insane idea?

Jet City amps seem to have a good reputation, although I've never tried one out, but being that they are Soldano designs, they have that going for them as well.

Many combos have output jacks for the speaker. Most Fenders do, 5150 combos do, and others. I have no idea about the stock speakers, but the specs say that they're made by Eminence, which is usually a good thing.

And later on, you can make a head out of it. There are pics of those that have been converted floating around on the 'net.
    Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

I'm a vintage tube amp snob with more money invested in heads and cabs than in any other aspect of my life, but I'd gig a Jet City 20w any day. Go for it.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
        I'm a vintage tube amp snob with more money invested in heads and cabs than in any other aspect of my life, but I'd gig a Jet City 20w any day. Go for it.
        Thanks alot, not my GAS is getting worse, haha

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

Then I'll just add that I know a guy locally who is trying to sell his Orange Rockverb 100w and AD30 2-channel because he prefers his Jet City 20w. They're by far the best amp in their price range, and some people prefer them to amps worth a lot more.
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
            Then I'll just add that I know a guy locally who is trying to sell his Orange Rockverb 100w and AD30 2-channel because he prefers his Jet City 20w. They're by far the best amp in their price range, and some people prefer them to amps worth a lot more.
            Dang, well I guess the amp will be well worth it.

If the speaker isn't too good, I may look into doing some surgery and replacing the speaker down the road.

Comment

A lot of people like them it seems. I had the JCA20 combo for a very short time about 4 years ago. It was sort of dark sounding but I suppose that could have been remedied with a speaker and/or tube swap. I returned it because I preferred the sound of my HT5. They're VERY heavy, though - not the easiest to carry around.

Comment

I was gigging on one of them, it doesn't have a punch of gain, which was a problem for my tone, but for low budget range it's worth going for. Take it!
                Need of FUZZ ?
                Need of CENTAUR ?

Comment

That seems kind of expensive to me for that combo. Personally, I would buy a Jet City 4x12 off of Ebay for $200-$250, and then look for deals on the heads.

Need to find something? Let the Musician's Friend site map guide you to the products you're looking for.
                  Last edited by JOLLY; 10-15-2015, 07:25 AM.

Comment

I've never played a Jet City before but I know some guys who really dig them and I've heard great tones from them. I love a good 1x12 Combo personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken Bowling View Post
                      A lot of people like them it seems. I had the JCA20 combo for a very short time about 4 years ago. It was sort of dark sounding but I suppose that could have been remedied with a speaker and/or tube swap. I returned it because I preferred the sound of my HT5. They're VERY heavy, though - not the easiest to carry around.
                      If it's too dark, I'll replace the speaker with a nicer one. Shouldn't be a problem since it is an actual 4/8/16 ohm output.

I haven't owned with tube amps, so I'm reluctant to touch the amp till I'm more well versed.
                      Originally posted by czarokrates View Post
                      I was gigging on one of them, it doesn't have a punch of gain, which was a problem for my tone, but for low budget range it's worth going for. Take it!
                      I can get some gain from a nice petal if I need it, but most demos show plenty of gain for my style of even metal.

I'll hopefully be pairing it with a Wampler Plexidrive for a true marshall sound.
                      I'll buy used or on sale for sure. Under $300 is my goal new, under $250 for used.

Thanks for those links though
                      Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                      I've never played a Jet City before but I know some guys who really dig them and I've heard great tones from them. I love a good 1x12 Combo personally.
                      I have only had cheaper 1x8" solid state combos, so this will be a big upgrade

Long term I hope to get a few heads to use on this cabnet, like a highly modified VHT to get more ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by TRex View Post
                        If it's too dark, I'll replace the speaker with a nicer one. Shouldn't be a problem since it is an actual 4/8/16 ohm output.

I haven't owned with tube amps, so I'm reluctant to touch the amp till I'm more well versed.

I can get some gain from a nice petal if I need it, but most demos show plenty of gain for my style of even metal.

I'll hopefully be pairing it with a Wampler Plexidrive for a true marshall sound.

I'll buy used or on sale for sure. Under $300 is my goal new, under $250 for used.

Thanks for those links though

I have only had cheaper 1x8" solid state combos, so this will be a big upgrade

Long term I hope to get a few heads to use on this cabnet, like a highly modified VHT to get more ideas.
                        Sweet man! Hope you can get it and it works great for you!

I personally love Tube Amps and can't pull myself back to Solid State Stuff because of the response I get from tube amps.

If you need some more juice a Joyo US Dream will be a super cheap but awesome pedal to push the gain.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                          Sweet man! Hope you can get it and it works great for you!

I personally love Tube Amps and can't pull myself back to Solid State Stuff because of the response I get from tube amps.

If you need some more juice a Joyo US Dream will be a super cheap but awesome pedal to push the gain.
                          I love my uncles Marshall JCM800? tube amp, but even my buddies Fender Super Champ X2 combo is great. Love tubes responsiveness to harmonics and dynamics.

Last edited by TRex; 10-15-2015, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TRex View Post
                            I love my uncles Marshall JCM800? tube amp, but even my buddies Fender Super Champ X2 combo is great. Love tubes responsiveness to harmonics and dynamics.

Marshall makes great amps for sure! I just prefer the Fender Clean tones to build off of with my pedals. A friend had the origilan Champ and it had brilliant cleans.

Comment

Working...
                            X