Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dark mahogany guitar

Originally posted by marytakesadrag View Post
    6505 is a great amp especially for \m/ however they are warm/dark sounding.
    Just because an amp gives you a resonance control doesn't mean it's any darker than its contemporaries. Turn that knob counterclockwise, scoop the mids and you eliminate both the nasal aspect and boxiness.

Have you ever considered a set of H90's?

Dragonfire sells a set for $50. Hook them up to some 500k pots and you'll have a screamer.

Then you can make back the money on parts by hawking the EMGs
    AccountKiller

Comment

If you stay active, I would go with the EMTY Blackouts. Otherwise, a Jazz Model set sounds fantastic in all mahogany guitars. Either of those sets will definitely brighten up your guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by 9unslin9er View Post
        Just because an amp gives you a resonance control doesn't mean it's any darker than its contemporaries. Turn that knob counterclockwise, scoop the mids and you eliminate both the nasal aspect and boxiness.
        Haha, oh I see. I only tried the 6505+ at my friends w/o tweaking too much. Still seemed dark whenever my friend plays it though. Maybe I'm just used to really bright amps haha.

Well whichever voice & characteristics the 6505 may have, just keep that in mind because not everything can be dialed in. So good idea to match the pickup to both the guitar and the amp, as gibson175 may have insinuated.

Comment

Originally posted by marytakesadrag View Post
          Haha, oh I see. I only tried the 6505+ at my friends w/o tweaking too much. Still seemed dark whenever my friend plays it though. Maybe I'm just used to really bright amps haha.
          The 6505 easily has the most responsive bass control out of any modern amplifier.

Whenever someone tells me how awesome their Kemper or Fractal is, I just plug my Peavey into a 4x12 and give them a bowel movement.

At the same time it drives me nuts when someone turns the amp on, and crank the bass and mids and scoop the treble.

This guy does an awesome demo of the new Peavey lunchbox 6505 with 4 different guitars. Perhaps one of the tones will be to your liking:
          Last edited by 9unslin9er; 10-06-2015, 11:32 PM.
          AccountKiller

Comment

If it's just a few frequencies, maybe an EQ would solve your problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Driscoll
              Most guitar shops in my area, at best have 2 left handed guitars on the wall. Sure you can special order something, but who wants to buy without trying? So after many, many, years of thinking about doing it, I've finally begun! My first attempt will be a relatively simple all best mahogany guitar.
              Great thread resurrection after 5 years...

Comment

Originally posted by jonsick View Post
                This guitar may be a tricky one. If I'm honest, it does kinda sound bad full stop and I doubt I'll ever get the tones I'd like out of it..

With the EMGs, there is a severe spike in a couple of the frequency ranges. I would be happy if I could retain the punchiness which I think is going to come from the wood and construction anyway, but if I could just smooth out that bad mid-range spike that adds way too much in the way of, how to say, snarly mids... I know I'm inventing terms here, but trying to describe it. It's like there's plenty low end, the mid is there but sounds rough and the top end is not very pronounced. I thought the EMG 81 setup would help and it has to a point, but not really got me there.

The advantage is it tracks extremely well, it is one of my go-to guitars when I need to lay another guitar track on a song to compliment my main guitar track (one guitarist band project). But it's no way a main guitar.

I don't know if posting a clip could help...
                Will recommend a 59 Custom Hybrid in the bridge for sure. Have had them in several different guitars and in particular really like this pickup in Mahogany or KOA.
                This a Hybrid in my solid KOA Carvin DC 127.

The Hybrid punches WAY above it's weight with gain but also has incredible definition and clarity and works well clean and it particular is stellar split. In the neck maybe look at a SNS or Sentient.
                Last edited by Ascension; 03-26-2020, 08:00 PM.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I am going through a similar challenge, which is made tougher with the lockdown. I originally started with a JB and it was too much lower mids. I have switched to a Custom which so far, sounds really good. The neck is a Jazz neck and I swapped out the screws for hex screws (sort of a hybrid jazz/FS neck). The other change is I put a 1M volume pot and that also provided overall brightness. It sounds good now I wouldn't say it is bad, but very rich/dark mahogany sounding like a vintage Les Paul, even though it is a super strat with a floyd rose and maple neck. I will add contrary to other people's opinion, my floyds don't sound bright and in fact sound fatter than my hard tail guitar.

I'll be interested in what you come up with as well. I am not necessarily done but for now, I think I am close. Others I would consider is a FS or even a BK Steve Stevens.

Comment

Working...
                  X