Noise when I bump amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise when I bump amp

Every time I tap my amp's chassis, plug into the amp, or unplug my guitar cable the sound is amplified. How do I fix this? Thanks

Re: Noise when I bump amp

Originally posted by toneseeker74 View Post
    Every time I tap my amp's chassis, plug into the amp, or unplug my guitar cable the sound is amplified. How do I fix this? Thanks
    Troll of the day goes to...

Comment

Is this a tube amp? What make/model?

If so, it's probably a microphonic tube, most likely (but not necessarily in the V1 position. With the amp turned on at normal volume, tap on each tube lightly (Chinese take-out chopsticks are the amp-tech approved tapping tool) to see which makes the biggest noise. Replace that tube.
      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Shooter.556 View Post
        Troll of the day goes to...
        Troll? Seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
          Is this a tube amp? What make/model?

If so, it's probably a microphonic tube, most likely (but not necessarily in the V1 position. With the amp turned on at normal volume, tap on each tube lightly (Chinese take-out chopsticks are the amp-tech approved tapping tool) to see which makes the biggest noise. Replace that tube.
          I tried tapping all the tubes, and each one is just as loud as the other. Replaced them with known good tubes. Same thing.
          Amp is a Traynor YBA-1. I changed some caps and resistors one at a time to remove some low-end flubbiness and tame the shrillness of the bright channel. Problem started when I replaced one non-functioning input jack (high) along with the low input jack, both on the bright channel. I compared the my wiring to the original wiring and the schematic. It looks correct.

Comment

It may be a cold solder joint on your new jacks or your cable. Reflow those points and you should remedy the situation if that's it.
            -Greg

Guitars:
            2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
            2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
            2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
            Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Originally posted by skyydogg01 View Post
              It may be a cold solder joint on your new jacks or your cable. Reflow those points and you should remedy the situation if that's it.
              Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Comment

Its new ump dey!

Comment

Did you replace the jacks with the exact same type, or did you use metal bodies ones?
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Stop doing bumps...

If that's not it, locate the faulty tube by lightly tapping with a pencil and listen for microphonics/harmonics/etc... If you're wary or unsure of how to handle high voltage electronics, take it to a tech or read online articles on faulty tube ID and R&R...
                    Last edited by the toad; 10-08-2015, 06:58 PM.

Comment

What problem do you have with me and/or my posts, Kramersteen?

Comment

1) I already tapped all the tubes, and each one is as noisy as the next.
                        2) I replaced the jacks with the same type of metal Switchcraft jacks as the originals.
                        3) I might have located the cause of the problem, but I had to go to work before I was able to test my theory. Just below the bottom input jack that I replaced it looks like the very tip of a resistor might be touching the chassis. More troubleshooting tonight...

Comment

Toneseeker, i think the problem some people have with your posts is that you have really done 4 threads on the same subject. Just keep your threads down to one topic (ie my amp is broken) and then be patient when you wait for responses. You will get as much information as people can give you in the time that they have available.
                          Best of luck with the troubleshooting. Keep us posted.
                          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by toneseeker74 View Post
                            What problem do you have with me and/or my posts, Kramersteen?
                            No problem i'm just being a tool.

Ump day mun.....haha

Comment

Working...
                            X