Feedback problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback problem

My amp often has feedback as low as 2 on the volume even without a guitar plugged in. Sometimes the problem goes away, or it won't go into feedback until much higher on the volume knob. Usually happens with bright channel only. Thoughts on how to fix this? Thanks 😊

Re: Feedback problem

You probably have a microphonic preamp tube. You don't mention what kind of amp; it's difficult to diagnose with incomplete information. But, it could also be a power tube. Mesa has some good info on their site on diagnosing tube issues.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

The amp is a Traynor YBA-1 tube head that I run into a 4x12. I have tapped all the tubes, and I get a glassy "tink" sound on every tube. I swapped tubes and got the same result.

Comment

Does it feedback going straight into the amp, no pedals?

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Yes, it even feeds back if no guitar cable is plugged in.

Comment

After reading your other posts, I realized you entered the "You messed with it and broke it!" area of the Bermuda Triangle. There's usually a reason why amps are designed a certain way, and sometimes attempting a mod only screws it up. You got something backwards somewhere that's causing the feedback. Admit defeat....it's tech time, and move on.

Very, very doubtful that ANYONE on ANY internet forum is going to be able to help you.

Sorry...

Bill

Comment

Last edited by ehdwuld; 10-08-2015, 08:10 PM. Reason: new Ay-ump day is getting old, I'll stop.
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Feedback loop of the output section [ usually negative feedback ] might be faulty. There's a resistor in it that might be flaky.
                It produces an electronic squeal/feedback, not an acoustic feedback.
                sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                  After reading your other posts, I realized you entered the "You messed with it and broke it!" area of the Bermuda Triangle. There's usually a reason why amps are designed a certain way, and sometimes attempting a mod only screws it up. You got something backwards somewhere that's causing the feedback. Admit defeat....it's tech time, and move on.

Very, very doubtful that ANYONE on ANY internet forum is going to be able to help you.

Sorry...

Bill
                  I have been thinking about putting all the stock parts back in. But I am not giving up yet ��
                  All the mods were basic changes to Marshall JMP values, swapping until I got the response I want. Maybe I have tackled a bigger beast than I had imagined, but I'm going to keep on trying to sort this out ��

Comment

Swapping the stock parts back in probably wont help it... in my experience might even make it worse. From what you've posted my money is on you have soldered something wrong or you burned something on the board... something...but now there is a bad connection.

When i first started modding I always tried to do only 1 or 2 changes at a time so I could stop and check my work to make sure I wasnt fubaring something. I see guys make a dozen changes and something is wrong and they dont know how to ferret it out. If you check every change or 2 its much easier to back track. When you get more sure of your skills you start making more changes at once. But its cheap insurance at the beginning.

If it was me I would go over all my connections twice maybe 3 times even those i didnt change just in cast i bumped something while working. Then I would get out my meter and start testing every connection I had made if i still couldnt find it I would start working backwards undoing one change at a time.

Thing is you can take something like this to a tech but being you monkeyed with it hes digging in the dark just like you are. The downside is it might take him a bit to find it and you wind up paying more cause he was hunting the needle in the hay stack. Upside is maybe with his experienced eyes he can see something you dont.
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Working...
                    X