Open or closed back combo ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open or closed back combo ?

All you guys gigging with combos - do you prefer open or closed back ? I've been using an open back 1 x 12 Cornford for years. I play English pubs, usually quite small, so I'm never miked. The open back really helps spread the sound around. I'm looking at another amp with 2 x 12 but a closed back. Will it be more directional ? Will I lose that spread ?

Re: Open or closed back combo ?

Closed back will have a tighter bass response and be more directional.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

It will be a bit more directional but the addition of another driver will help your horizontal dispersion. Places small enough to not necessitate micing your current rig should be well served with the new one. The main concern I'd have is on stage. Your band mates on the other side could find it harder to hear you. Turning the cab towards them could be enough to solve the issue. Or just a taste folded back through a stage monitor...

Comment

Why not BOTH?

I almost always use my Mesa open-back 112 combos with one of their matching 112 closed-back Thiele cabs. This gives me a huge tone. The open-back combo gives me the air and the Thiele gives me low-end, projection, and punch.

The Mesa Half-Back 212 and 412 cabs use the same principle.

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I prefer 2x12 open back cabinets. You can really manipulate the tone with cabinet placement. Want it to fill a room and sound softer? Put it with a lot of space between the back and a wall. Want it to be bass heavy? Put it right up against a brick wall. The only real disadvantage I see to open backs is that they can easily bleed into other mics in the room if you can't isolate the cabinet/block out the back.

Comment

Bleed will only be an issue if you have something nearby that's picking up more than the source it's supposed to, which you shouldn't be doing. If the place is that crowded, you probably don't need mics except for recording, and then you're not going for studio separation.
            Originally posted by Brown Note
            I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
            My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
              Why not BOTH?

I almost always use my Mesa open-back 112 combos with one of their matching 112 closed-back Thiele cabs. This gives me a huge tone. The open-back combo gives me the air and the Thiele gives me low-end, projection, and punch.

The Mesa Half-Back 212 and 412 cabs use the same principle.

Bill
              This was my solution with the MkIV. Open back C90 for the combo, closed back Thiele 1x12 extension with EVM12L. The EV makes a BIG contribution to the overall size of your sound.
              Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
              Marshall JVM410H
              Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
              Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
              ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
              Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
              Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
              Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
              Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                Bleed will only be an issue if you have something nearby that's picking up more than the source it's supposed to, which you shouldn't be doing. If the place is that crowded, you probably don't need mics except for recording, and then you're not going for studio separation.
                Overhead drum mics and 421's for miking toms can easily pickup sound bleed from the entire room, whether it is a studio or stage. Condenser microphones in particular can be real sensitive to bleed in general, so it's not as simple as having an amp too loud/too close to a mic. Ideally, you'll want each source to be loud enough that you can keep the gain down for each mic to minimize bleed, while not having each source so loud that it bleeds into other mics. This is much easier said than done, especially with drums and guitars. The place could also be small enough that amps won't need mics, but big enough that the drums will. That creates problems, because if you're miking the drums, you'll have to turn down everyone else, which means miking everyone else.
                Last edited by Myaccount876; 10-10-2015, 05:01 PM.

Comment

In all honesty, neither. Combos are a pain, IMO. Both a head and a 2x12 are already damn heavy to carry separately.

Comment

Neodymium speakers are your friend. If you can get a good grip, it's possible to carry my neodymium loaded 2x12 with one hand.

Comment

Working...
                    X