Lunchtime any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunchtime any suggestions?

I am thinking a Lunchbox or smaller tube head is my next amp. I was looking at the Fender Super-Champ X2, because of course I am a Fender fanboy. In a perfect world I would love to have a line out but I know that is not happening in a smaller amp. I know Orange will be a suggestion but I never seem to be able to pull a tone I like out of them. I hear other people play them and they sound great. I seem to have some king of mental block with Orange. Something with its own gain is great however I want a nice platform for pedals if need be. I am not totally opposed to solid state but right now I am thinking tubes.

Re: Lunchtime any suggestions?

Buy JeffB's Orange OR15. I wish I could, but I've got other things to pay for.

The OR15 is easily one of the best sounding lunchbox heads. Pretty much VH to Cantrell.

I really like my Tiny Terror, but I'd trade it for an OR15 without thinking twice.

The other one I'd consider is the Mesa Transatlantic TA-15, but that's quite a bit more money.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

yes. Buy mine

On a serious note, I am so not an EL84 guy, but I also think the Mesa TA, Recto Mini sounds good, and the new peavey Classic 20 does too.

What is your budget? cos there are some low watt booteek heads out there that kill....Fargen..Grainger, G&R...
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

A fat mans lunch box blackstar ht1. I love mine its a such a cool little amp.

Comment

Holy crap those mini Fargens look awesome.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I'm diggin' the Carvin mini heads
            they got the V3m and the Legacy version

nice clean channels and two gain stages
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I have both a 20W Krank Rev Jr. (not pro version) and a 5W Randall RD5. Both are cool in their own way, but the Krank is way more flexible and better-sounding. Neither really do great cleans, if at all, though.

The Krank slays at nasty grindy high gain with a slighty "brown-sounding" power section and a slightly more raspy and dry voicing than the average modern high-gainer, it can keep up with a moderately loud drummer, and mics up well. The Randall is a fun little high-gain practice amp with a convincing tube feel and a kinda unique dry-ish twangy-ish voicing.
              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-10-2015, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Just FYI the super champ X2 is a tube powered modeling amp, there is no all tube signal path. Sounds good, don't get me wrong, but if you're thinking tubes and you want all tubes, that's not the amp. The 12ax7 is a gain stage and the PI, the power tubes are power tubes, but this is all after the modeling.
                That said I've owned the original super champ xd and it was a lot of fun, the fender blackface models sound pretty close to the real thing depending on your speakers and cab. But it doesn't take lots of boost to the front end well, it makes it sound too congested and splatty, with the DRRI I had it would, y'know, get all liquid-y sustain-y and crunchy, y'know, like an amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                  I am thinking a Lunchbox or smaller tube head is my next amp. I was looking at the Fender Super-Champ X2, because of course I am a Fender fanboy. In a perfect world I would love to have a line out but I know that is not happening in a smaller amp. I know Orange will be a suggestion but I never seem to be able to pull a tone I like out of them. I hear other people play them and they sound great. I seem to have some king of mental block with Orange. Something with its own gain is great however I want a nice platform for pedals if need be. I am not totally opposed to solid state but right now I am thinking tubes.
                  What music are you playing? And what's your budget on this?

Comment

I know you like the Fender

I was looking at these over on Amazon

Hotone Diamond amp

EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Get the Fender Super Champ XD or X2. Otherwise I would suggest a small tube head and cab. What larger amps do you like?

Comment

Originally posted by RealtyViking View Post
                        Get the Fender Super Champ XD or X2. Otherwise I would suggest a small tube head and cab. What larger amps do you like?
                        I have played through the combo version and liked it a lot. Nice tone dirty or clean, very clear and loud. My larger amps are a mix of Fenders and a DSL 100.

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                        On a serious note, I am so not an EL84 guy, but I also think the Mesa TA, Recto Mini sounds good, and the new peavey Classic 20 does too.

What is your budget? cos there are some low watt booteek heads out there that kill....Fargen..Grainger, G&R...
                        I have noticed the Boogies at around $600 used. My budget is about $450, I dont mind going up in price if I see something I really like. The Peavey seems to have everything on my wish list at a budget friendly price. I have never been a Peavey guy so I know little about them. how would you compare the Classic to the ValveKing?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          What music are you playing? And what's your budget on this?
                          Come on man you know me. I will be playing everything under the sun, jazz to metal. I am hoping to stay around $450

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                            I have played through the combo version and liked it a lot. Nice tone dirty or clean, very clear and loud. My larger amps are a mix of Fenders and a DSL 100.

I have noticed the Boogies at around $600 used. My budget is about $450, I dont mind going up in price if I see something I really like. The Peavey seems to have everything on my wish list at a budget friendly price. I have never been a Peavey guy so I know little about them. how would you compare the Classic to the ValveKing?
                            Imo, the valvekings are one of those designs that attempts to do everything and the end result is that it does nothing very well.I think it is bland, and boring .The Classics on the other hand do a good job of a vintage vibe type peavey sound. Im not a peavey fan at all..only a select few amps are to my tastes, but the classics series are pretty nice. They have good cleans, barely crunchy and a decent 60s/70s style crunch. Of course they have that grainyness inherent to many Peaveys, so try before you buy.
                            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

If it isn't a Victory, it is a defeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X