banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When your band members taunt you to buy a full stack....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When your band members taunt you to buy a full stack....

These boys are ridiculous. My amps are already brutally loud. All of us are well past 40 and our backs and spines probably twice that in real years. Yet today, one of the other guitar players dropped the gauntlet and said, "There is no try, there is only do" and told me I need a full stack.

He has lost his damn mind.

I already have two Mesa 4x12s but they are both slants. One has V30s, the other has C90s.

Only a complete lunatic would unload a dual recto full stack in clubs the size we play. And yet....

A C90 bottom cab matched with that V30 slant, with my dual recto.... drop tuned... good Lord.

sigpic

Re: When your band members taunt you to buy a full stack....

Tell them they're gonna have to carry it
    Originally posted by Myaccount876
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Take both cabinets to practice, and crank them so loud that his ears bleed.

Comment

If you push both of those slant cabs at the same time, is that not also a full stack?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Was he saying this in a super loud voice?........'Cause he might already be deaf?

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            If you push both of those slant cabs at the same time, is that not also a full stack?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
            Yes, and maybe if I actually hooked that up so they could hear it one time they would probably realize "Oh wow yeah maybe this isn't such a good idea after all".

I have seen cabs that Mesa made, which were pretty cool; they were slant baffle inside a regular bottom cabinet. Not sure if they still make those any more.

sigpic

Comment

We have been known to jam with two 100 watt half stacks for the guitar. At one time we ran them in stereo. I find I like them better with the solid state slaved to the tube amp. Needless to say, we usually only run them on about 3-4 on the master volumes. However it is nice knowing you have the ability to turn up.

Comment

Originally posted by hydro View Post
                Yes, and maybe if I actually hooked that up so they could hear it one time they would probably realize "Oh wow yeah maybe this isn't such a good idea after all".

I have seen cabs that Mesa made, which were pretty cool; they were slant baffle inside a regular bottom cabinet. Not sure if they still make those any more.
                Worse, you may like it. Randal used to make a cab with 2 12"s and 1 15". Imagine two of them being pushed by 100 watts with a down tuned guitar.

Comment

I just bought a "full" stack....a Mesa Mark V:25 head with the straight and slant 112 V30 cabs. I always wanted one of the little SS Marshall stacks but this is way more fun and functional. Can't wait to gig with it. I'm sure my band mates will say it's too big....and that I still play too loud, LOL!!

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Just be great, and appropriate. Then no-one will question your choice of gear.

(if they do, they're obviously more about image than music, and you may well need to question whether you're playing with the right people).
                    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Well he was just kidding around, but inside every joke there is a little truth hiding. He probably wouldn't think it was funny after a couple of times hauling it to gigs. What got it all started was this photo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444486009.602246.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	5788830

A wall of Tony Iommi Laneys taken at their factory, I believe...

sigpic

Comment

I have seen them on stages before. Anyone know where you can buy these? (I dont have time to build them myself) But I could use these on some of my live sound jobs to make the stages look better & hide various equipment behind them

Comment

Originally posted by hydro View Post
                          The old half-back cabs as well as the full size recto 4x12s are set up like that. If you want to stack your cabs, try laying them on their sides. You'll have full stack height and a nice, wide horizontal dispersion. I also second the suggestion of telling your bandmates that they can carry the stack if they want it so badly.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

You need a full stack. You can't call yourself a guitarist without one.

Comment

and so we see how "guitarist" and "musician" are in fact two distinctly separate concepts.

Build a lightweight empty top cab with a fake head on top, with your real head in the bottom of the fake top cab. Sorta like a hat for your head, or a Halloween costume for it. Styrofoam, foam rubber, whatever. That way it looks like you lug around 300 pounds of inappropriate amp gear like a derp, but really don't.
                              Originally posted by Brown Note
                              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                              My Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X