Pedals for JCM800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedals for JCM800

I've recently acquired a JCM800 and I'm looking for pedals to get NWOBHM and 80's Thrash tones

Re: Pedals for JCM800

NWOBHM= MXR Distortion +

TS9 Tubescreamer, DOD 250, Treble Boosters, Colorsounds, and Boss DS-1 also age appropriate popular candidates.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

TS9 and SD-1 combination!
      Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
      When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
      Red Devils - 1% all the way!
      Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
      Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

TS-9/808
        RAT (Kill 'Em All)
        MXR Distortion +

... or just try clean boosts and see if you like them more.
        Originally posted by Myaccount876
        Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

I've spent a lot of time matching OD's with 800's, and luckily it's an amp that jives with just about all of them.

The best affordable one is the MXR Classic Overdrive and Zakk Wylde, which are the same pedal with an internal switch in opposite directions.

The Way Huge Green Rhino is also great because it gives you full controll of the fatness.

The Boss OD's all sound good with 800's, because they were most likely engineered to mate with that amp.

My personal favorite is the silver Barber LTD because it adds gain but doesn't change the tone.
          Last edited by Gearjoneser; 10-10-2015, 10:26 PM.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Not much else to add here except the MXR Micro Amp. I've got the + version myself, which has the very useful eq feature.

Comment

My Real Tube 901with a 12AU7 worked really well with my JCM 800 for smooth, singing lead solo tones, though there are probably better pedals for crunch distortions and metal type gain. The 12AU7 tube has less gain and fit my needs better, but you can go experiment with swapping the stock 12AX7S for an AT, AY, or AU. Lots of options; lots of fun.

Bill
              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I'd like to throw the MXR GT-OD and Classic Overdrive in the pot because they have a sound that's a bit in between an Ibanez TS808 and a Boss SD-1.

Comment

to make it real simple- get the new Duncan 805. You can only push the JCM800 circuit so much, its already cascaded on the gain.The Duncan 805, and call it a day!
                  "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I went there already, so I'll say a BOSS Distortion, BOSS Super OverDrive, and a BOSS GE-7 EQ for the NWOBHM, and you want a Fuzz (BigMuff Pi) for the early Thrash. There's a thread somewhere here where I nailed Ride the Lightning tone with the BigMuff Pi of a Line6 M13 modeler. In person, the amp matches the CD.
                    Originally posted by Brown Note
                    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                    My Blog

Comment

Yup ^^^ Just about anything. A Google search would haveb een a lot less effort.
                      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Do you stack the sd-1 and the ds-1 then, or are you changing them out. I agree the bigmuff sounds great.

Comment

+1 To the Rat another fun one is the Suhr Riot, that thing really pushes the pinch harmonics

Comment

The Dunlop Slash Wah sounds A M A Z I N G for leads with my 2204.

I was blown away and the lead tone.

Whatever that pedal uses to clip....the JCM 800 just LIKES it.
                            For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by Tbart076 View Post
                              Do you stack the sd-1 and the ds-1 then, or are you changing them out. I agree the bigmuff sounds great.
                              You can stack them, especially if you're getting cleans from the amp. Let the SD boost the DS for leads. Also the RAT is definitely going to get you early Metallica solo tones (Kill 'em All, Ride The Lightning, Puppets).

Look into a Metal Zone as well.

Here's the clip I did of Ride The Lightning using the Big Muff PI pedal model of a Line6 M13 into my JCM800.
                              Last edited by DrNewcenstein; 10-13-2015, 02:33 PM.
                              Originally posted by Brown Note
                              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                              My Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X