banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage NOS preamp tube questions on dif brands???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage NOS preamp tube questions on dif brands???

Hey for all you vintage preamp tube experts.I need some advice and some questions answered if you will please. I want to know what some of the tones are like and/or a brief description on some of the brands Im gonna list.
    1. RCA gray plate 12au7's
    2. Mullard 12ax7 this is not NOS but re-issue just curious/and the Mullard CV-4004.
    3. Sylvania ECC83/12AX7
    4. GE preamp tube
    These are just a few of some I can buy for a good price. They are for my Marshall DSL 40 amp.
    I recently bought a RFT 12ax7 and I loved it!! That was my first NOS tube.
    Last edited by tman; 10-12-2015, 07:26 AM.

Re: Vintage NOS preamp tube questions on dif brands???

I can assure you from personal experience the mullard ri sounds like complete ass next to an old british mullard. They are not even on the same planet. New sensor is just cashing in on the name. I have not liked the ri at all in a gain stage..it is cold/sterile and has very little midrange. The ri does well as a phase inverter though.

I have some jan ge 5751s and they are excellent lower gain tubes. They work nice as a pi and ln a gain stage if you are looking to tame a heavy gain preamp.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Re: Vintage NOS preamp tube questions on dif brands???

Originally posted by tman View Post
      and the Mullard CV-4004
      Assuming you're talking originals, the CV4004 is the military version of Mullard's 12AX7.

I use these in my PI spot but would be just as good in any spot.

Highly recommended (the originals, that is).

Comment

Working...
      X