banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JCM900 Combo 2x12 100w: sell or upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCM900 Combo 2x12 100w: sell or upgrade?

So.. I have this amp from the end of the nineties. It served me well. It's still good sounding, but I always was bothered by his weight.
    That is why I am considering selling it to get maybe a 50w head (I think I would love a JVM205h) + 2x12 cabinet. I mainly play rock, alternative, punk rock. One other option would be maybe to upgrade the combo I have with some Celestion Vintage speakers, to improve its sound (altough I realize it would become heavier!). So I am really willing to hear your best advices on what to do. I play in a band and occasionally we may gig into some pubs and places like that. Any good advice will be welcome, thanks!!

Re: JCM900 Combo 2x12 100w: sell or upgrade?

If you can get a good trade in, or have no emotional attachment to it, then trade it off. If not, upgrade it, you might be surprised by the new tones.

Sent from my SCL22 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by atf View Post
      If you can get a good trade in, or have no emotional attachment to it, then trade it off. If not, upgrade it, you might be surprised by the new tones.

That's for sure a good point. What should be my priorities in case I decide upgrading it? Speakers?

Comment

Speakers comes to mind first, however if you are happy with your tone, then skip it.

Next up are tubes. If you are gigging occasionally, you may wanna keep some handy

A maybe would be to Google for mods (if there are any, and if they are relevant)

My gut instinct is kicking in and saying don't sell. An amp like that is the perfect fit for your genre. My two cents

Comment

Speakers comes to mind first, however if you are happy with your tone, then skip it.

Next up are tubes. If you are gigging occasionally, you may wanna keep some handy

A maybe would be to Google for mods (if there are any, and if they are relevant)

My gut instinct is kicking in and saying don't sell. An amp like that is the perfect fit for your genre. My two cents

Do you find it reasonable if I would substitute one of the two 75s with a vintage 30?
          Could they work well together and give a deeper tone?

Comment

Yeah 1 or 2 vintage 30's will help it out alot
            sigpic
            Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Celestion' website has some suggestions for matching speakers I believe. Check it out. From speaker types to ohms

Comment

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
                Yeah 1 or 2 vintage 30's will help it out alot
                Good.. I see they sell around 125 euro each, here. Good price? It looks like the substitution is quite easy and I could do it by myself, am I correct?

Comment

Celestion' website has some suggestions for matching speakers I believe. Check it out. From speaker types to ohms

Wow, I didn't know that I am going to see right now!

Comment

It's here

Celestion Guitar Cabinet Speakers - Looking for new guitar amplifier speakers? Upgrade your tone with Celestion speakers, the iconic sound of rock 'n' roll

Your speaker combo is listed under the mix it up section

Comment

It's here

Celestion Guitar Cabinet Speakers - Looking for new guitar amplifier speakers? Upgrade your tone with Celestion speakers, the iconic sound of rock 'n' roll

Your speaker combo is listed under the mix it up section

Yes, it's true. It seems they're actually a good match. Another thing I could plan to do is changing the valves. At the moment I have Soviet 5881. Should I consider a swap?
                      Thanks for all the good infos!

Comment

I'm not a knowledgeable tube guy, but yeah if they are old and have been used and abused gig after gig. If you want to try different brands then try to Google and find a tube comparison chart or similar info. It will help you determine which tube characteristics suits your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Emopunk View Post
                          Good.. I see they sell around 125 euro each, here. Good price? It looks like the substitution is quite easy and I could do it by myself, am I correct?
                          At the current conversion rate that comes out to $143USD which is $2 cheaper than the average retail price here. It's really easy to do your self, just make sure you put the same ohm rating in as the one you take out
                          sigpic
                          Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

As far as tubes go, the preamp tubes on these don't change the sound quite as much as with a lot of other amps, but you will hear a difference. All I've tried in my 50w 900 head were the stock Marshall labeled pre's and Sovtek 5881s that came in it, and a set of Tung-Sol 12AX7 gold pins and a set of Tung-Sol 5881s. The change really helped it out
                            sigpic

Comment

I rehearse at a place that gives me a choice of Marshall heads including DSL, Jubilee, 800 and 900. I always go for the 900. The clean/crunch channel with pedals sounds the best of the lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X