CTS Pots ... amp builders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTS Pots ... amp builders.

Anyone use CTS pots in amp builds? The ones I've installed in my guitars are pretty smooth right off the bat and never given me trouble. But, I picked some up to use in an amp build and the rotation doesn't feel nearly as smooth. Strange because I wouldn't expect them to be any different than the full size guitar pots in terms of quality, aside from values. I'm using an Alpha (dual) for PPIMV and it is much smoother feeling than the CTS's. For anyone using CTS's ... do you find that they smooth out some with use?

I'd probably just go ahead and use Alpha's, I haven't had many problems with them, but they are all over the place in terms of tolerance. I really would rather not buy a bunch of Alphas to go through to select ones close to listed value (10% anyway, on the lower values).

Re: CTS Pots ... amp builders.

ive used cts pots before without any issue. shoot a little lube in there if they are too stiff

Comment

Alphas are complete junk. The taper is inconsistent and like you said, I can never get two that sound similar to one another.

There are a lot of eBay sellers who offer 10% tolerance or better on their CTS for pennies. Never had an issue with that manufacturer.
      AccountKiller

Comment

Originally posted by 9unslin9er View Post
        Alphas are complete junk. The taper is inconsistent and like you said, I can never get two that sound similar to one another.

There are a lot of eBay sellers who offer 10% tolerance or better on their CTS for pennies. Never had an issue with that manufacturer.
        I trusted the CTS enough to order one of each value that I needed. They were all well within 10%. I ordered 5 of the dual gang Alphas in order to get one close to 250K with matching halves. There were two of the 5 that I considered ok. I'll stick with the CTS. Maybe they'll work in a little bit. If not, I'll try a little lubricant like Jeremy suggests.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X