'Imitation' Tube amp ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'Imitation' Tube amp ?

Id say any of the roland cube series or any of the vox valvetronix they have a new series coming out. I just got the vox vt20+ and I think it'd be right up your alley

Comment

The new Yamaha THR100H and THR100HD are great modelers, Yamaha seems to have the best modeling I've played. Not sure if they qualify as relatively cheap though, relative to a Bogner, they are cheap, relative to a used Peavey Bandit, they aren't...

Comment

for budget medium gain stuff ive liked the new vox valvetronix (VTX or something) series

but nowadays theres so many tube amps for nearly as cheap ("at least 20 watts" makes me think its for more than bedroom practice)

Comment

Kind of a weird approach to sound. I don't have a Mesa because it has tubes in it, I use it because it sounds huge and when I want it to, really sweet and mellow. I don't use my Marshall because it has tubes but because it sounds awesome. I have many different amplifiers, some with tubes, some without and they sound different for different reasons. I would take a Randall RG100 over a cheap, MIC no name tube amp that doesn't sound very good.
          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

My experience has been that there aren't really too many 'do it all' type amps. If an amp is great and quiet, bedroom volumes . . . it's not that good at gigging volumes. If an amp is great at gigging volumes, you usually can't get it to sound awesome at very quiet practice volumes. Tubes can sound great, but are kinda a pain in the ass . . . they have to be replaced, they're expensive, they're temperamental. Typically tube amps don't sound all that great at very low volumes.

TLDR - buy any wattage cheap solid state practice amp that sounds good to you for now, then later get a loud gigging tube amp that sounds good to you when you're regularly playing with a group and need it.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
            X