Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'Imitation' Tube amp ?

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
    That is the holy grail of the guitar industry.

Comment

I'll second the Fender Super Champ XD & X2. It tube and modeling, and if you put it next to a 20w amp you probably won't notice any difference in volume.
      sigpic
      Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Dane12 View Post
        I'm looking for either a relatively cheap tube amp or a solid state/modeling that can replicate a 'tube amp' sound. It has to be at least 20 watts
        Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Lol, you & everyone else!!! Your price range & the style of music that you play would be quite helpful to us if you're looking for amp suggestions, but on the fly the Fender X2 Super Champs are great bang for your buck valve amplifiers. One channel is essentially just a Fender Blackface, plain and simple, channel 2 is full of models to chose from, most of them are even useable, LOL! Some of the models are great others are okay but if you use Fuse in conjunction with it you can really fine tune them & the X2 takes pedals very, very, well!

I've got the head & cabinet but the combos are definitely cool too! I often pass over much more expensive amps to play out of the X2! It doesn't do any one thing perfectly but it does a whole bunch of stuff pretty well & it's super easy to find your tone. The onboard digital effects are quite good for the price but I still prefer to run real stomp boxes, mostly because it takes them so dang well! I guess most Fenders amps do, but I don't use my Holy Grail or H.O.F. for reverb? The amp's digital reverb is just as good as any pedal on the market for under $300...

Oh, they're only 15W amps but 15 tube watts isn't like having a 15W S.S. Fender Frontmam or something like that, actually 15 Tube watts will blow any 50w Hybrid or S.S amp out of the water as far as actual output goes. Plenty loud enough for jamming with a moderately aggressive drummer & even playing smaller gigs...
        I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Most of the transtube Peavey amps sound great

The Peavey Classic is fine little tube amp

I have a Laney SS amp that sounds good to my ear
          I have a Roland Cube 30 that sounds fine as well

Most amps beyond $100 new are just fine with some tweaking.

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Roland Cube
            Peavey Bandit (dirt cheap on Craigslist)
            Vox Valvetronix

Comment

I forgot the Vox definitely the Vox
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

A lot of players that own big tube amps seem to be quite impressed with what a Micro Terror/Micro Dark can dish out. Nothing replaces the real thing but for $189 that's punching well above it's weight.

Comment

"I want raging tube tone without the raging tubes". Sacrifices must be made. You don't get one without the other. I can't imagine that the tone at that power or volume level is comparable, and I am by no means a tube snob (used predominantly SS racks and combos for over 20 years).
                  Originally posted by Brown Note
                  I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                  My Blog

Comment

Sorry Lads for the late reply. Things that I mostly play is blues and rock so a good clean sound is a good start, not too worried of having really heavy distortion/overdrive. I am still a newborn baby in the (seemingly) endless world of amplifiers so to speak so yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lampy H View Post
                      Blackstar ID series.
                      That's what I was going to suggest
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                      My Music

Comment

this is an easy thread...

Peavey Bandit 112. Used are well under $200 (as low as $100!). 80 Watts, real rocking clean and overdriven tones. Its analog, so its going to last much longer than all the newer digital crap out there.

Beats Line 6, Fender, or any other digital brand out there.

Comment

I've enjoyed owning a Fender Mustang modeler. It's pretty good. I got the open back one that had the Celestine speaker in it. Model III

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I just sold a PV classic 30 for $200. It was what the local market would bear. They are fine combo amps.
                            Great trades/transactions with checo, kjrocks (2x), ginoames (2x), guitarkid (2x), Ed Hunter, primo (2x), apar111, blueman335, King IzzO))), ArtieToo, lemonman, saladin, SAVAGE DISTORTION, surface54, and DonP. Excellent forum bros!

Comment

The older Vox AD-VT series amps were great little hybrid amps and can be had really cheap used. I really don't see the point of buying something like a Peavey Bandit when a good modeling amp can do that and a hundred other things. The Fender Mustang has a lot of models and effects that would fit your criteria, and they sound great.

Comment

All the 9-volt grind you can handle. Just clip on your belt, strap on some roller skates, a speedo and a day glow tank top, hit the city park and you are ready to rock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	danelectro-n-10-honeytone-523875.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	5789062

Get the guaranteed best price on Mini Guitar Amplifiers like the Honeytone N-10 Guitar Mini Amp at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by Muddshark; 11-04-2015, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X