The worst pedal you've ever owned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The worst pedal you've ever owned?

I dig a lot of my gear, which is mostly all of it. But my first pedal sucked. it was a Behringer Octave that died...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Gear
    Organs: 1972-73 Conn 632 "Serenade" analog theater organ, 1967 Hammond H-111 (not sounding but working), '72 Hammond T-524 + my '71 Hammond L-112 across the country.
    Synths: Roland D-20, Kawai K11, Yamaha QS300
    Leslie Cabinets: 1975 Leslie 825 and 1974 Leslie 705.
    Guitars: Monterey Stage Series bitsa, 1991 Charvel CX-291 bitsa, 70s Hondo acoustic and a ton of parts.
    Pedalboard: Home made DJ case thing conversion with a lot of budget pedals on it.
    Amps: Fender Sidekick Reverb 35

Re: The worst pedal you've ever owned?

RockTek Distortion. Saying it was weak and farty is being kind.

Worst one I ever saw in person at a local shop was some kind of Japanese wah-type that did a "siren" effect - heel down sounded like a firetruck on the freeway. Toe-down sounded like a spastic underwater cop in hot pursuit, or a cheesy 1950s ray gun. We thought it was a broken wah, but that's what it was supposed to sound like.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

This one?

I agree ...it was my first/worst distortion pedal ever..
      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

DigiTech X-Series Death Metal Distortion. Blows a Metal Zone out of the water, at least a Metal Zone has a mid control!

Comment

Boss HM-2

Comment

JOYO noise reducer....It didn't do anything!
            This is no attack on JOYO pedals; I have a number of other JOYOs and really like them.
            for MFX: Digitech RP355...sounded very digital or artificial to my ears.

Comment

Well, I never really had any that sucked, but the one I could not dial in for the life of me was an EHX Classics Small Clone Analog Chorus Pedal...did not play nice with my Hot Rod Deluxe. Sold it and got a MXR Analog Chorus that sounded much better and later sold that to a forum bro...chorus is not a necessity for me. lol

Comment

DOD FX55C... thin and raspy
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
                  JOYO noise reducer....It didn't do anything!
                  This is no attack on JOYO pedals; I have a number of other JOYOs and really like them.
                  for MFX: Digitech RP355...sounded very digital or artificial to my ears.
                  I had a beherenger noise reducer, it was the same thing. Did absolutely nothing, HUGE waste of money.

Comment

Too many to count.. I learned thru the years, you really get what you pay for with pedals.

Comment

Boss MT-2.

Thing about absolutely almost every Boss distortion pedal is that it takes either a very specific type of amp setup, guitar, or style of playing, or all of the above for it not to sound like a toy. Someone mentioned the HM-2 as the worst pedal he's owned. That pedal is the perfect example. If you're not going for an Entombed-esque kind of sound, that pedal is pretty useless.

Comment

+1 for the Rocktek Distortion here. My first ever distortion pedal. A friend then bought a Rocktek Metal Worker which had 3-band EQ. Then I answered back with a Metal Zone.
                        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Behringer "Dimebag" Wah copy...
                          "Scalloped & Stickered"
                          A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

At the time, it was the MXR Blue Box.

I was new to buying gear and the internet was all about "write-ups". There were no you-tube videos or sound clips and all the write ups talked about how legendary this pedal was and how you could do anything with it.

So...I got it...it sucked for me. I had NOOOOOO idea what to do with it at the time. Noise makers were wasted on me.

Now, I would put it on a momentary switch and use it as an abrasive accent but then...I was sad.

Ha ha...I even called MXR because I thought mine was broken.

That was a looooooooong time ago.
                            For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

I really disliked the Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion. Granted, that was through a smaller practice amp, but instead of getting both Overdrive AND Distortion (!!!) I should have just bought an SD-1 and DS-1. I ended up trading it for a Boss SD-2(?) Dual Overdrive. A bit better...

Actually, I feel the same about the Vox 847 wah, the Crybaby I bought (used) a few years later sounded much better to my ear.

In fact, look at this signal chain early on:
                              Ibanez RX40 -> Vox 847 -> Boss OS-2 -> Zoom 505 -> Peavey Rage
                              That's a recipe for tone...
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X