Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The worst pedal you've ever owned?

Little Pigbacon

Default Re: The worst pedal you've ever owned?

Still deciding on this one. I hesitate to assign labels right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuss View Post
    DigiTech X-Series Death Metal Distortion. Blows a Metal Zone out of the water, at least a Metal Zone has a mid control!
    I can get on board with this. I had this pedal for a few years. It sucked. Terrible dry, cold awful tone.
    Go Packers!

Arion Distortion when I was 15. Besides sounding like crap, the battery cover and knobs all broke off. It's the only pedal I've ever thrown into the garbage can.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

"Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Little Pigbacon

Quote Originally Posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    Still deciding on this one. I hesitate to assign labels right now.
    How about Rocktron Metal Planet? I owned one, briefly, before I experienced just how wretched it sounded through my Marshall.

Little Pigbacon

Quote Originally Posted by gibson175 View Post
    What did you expect a clock radio to sound like, anyway?

Super Toneologist guitarSQUIRELL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gibson175 View Post
    WOW you went BACK to the past to find that thing. Looks like an old cable tv receiver lol. That's what I thought it was at first.
    "Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

Ultimate Tone Slacker Falloffthebonetone's Avatar

Digitech Metal Master.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuss View Post
    DigiTech X-Series Death Metal Distortion. Blows a Metal Zone out of the water, at least a Metal Zone has a mid control!
    The X series version is the Metal Master. The one with no mid control but a morph control instead. I hands down agree with you. Sucks any lows and mids away I had. Inaudible in a band.

Not sure I can pick one...I've owned so many freaking pedals over the years...but a few suckage standout effects

I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

King Midas to Cheap Guitars dominus's Avatar

The Metal Master had a few sweet spots. I'd take one of those over a Metal Zone any day.

The HM-2 does one sound perfectly well. If you don't want that sound, don't get one. If you're after that sound, you need one. (Although the Behringer copy can do it almost as well.) One trick is to use the amp's distortion and just use the EQ knobs on the pedal to cut the noise down.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
    @ArizonaVoters

Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
    http://a.co/8ht5Qes

I've been thinking about it for a while, and the only duds I can remember were an MXR Blue Box and a Dunlop 535Q. I know there isn't a ton of hate for either of these, but they just didn't work for me. The Blue Box sounded great in the store, but it's behavior and tracking were completely different when I got it home making it effectively useless. I've shared my opinion on the 535Q a few times... What good are a thousand wah sounds if they all suck?
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Ultimate Tone Slacker xxxplorer's Avatar

Analogman Chorus... Sounded horrible... Noisy and just bad. Runner up is Mad Professor deep blue delay.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

When I had my '79 Trans Am, it was the brake pedal.

Canadian in the UK, like Maple Syrup in Tea.

It's a toss up.. it might be the TC Electronic Hall of Fame or the EHX Soul Food. The Hall of Fame was a well built pedal, and there were a few really cool toneprints, but I could never get it to feel quite 'natural', either for subtle reverb or for longer ambient stuff. I couldn't find a place for it on my board, though I know it works for a lot of other people so I hesitate to call it 'bad'.

The EHX Soul Food is... well it's really hyped up for being one of the first super cheap Klones, and it's neat, but I already have some 'transparent' overdrives that sound better than it, and I found it to be kinda boxy and meh sounding in comparison.

Neither of these are bad pedals, but I'm pretty obsessive about trying stuff and doing my research before buying (something I guess you couldn't really do pre-youtube to be fair) so I haven't had anything outright awful ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlTheBird View Post
    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
    Andrew - None

I had one of those plastic Ibanez tube screamers back in the day. It used to lurk in a back alley, waiting for my Boss DS-1 to come out of the dope house, and it would beat the crap out of it.

Eventually they both died in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by hydro View Post
    I had one of those plastic Ibanez tube screamers back in the day. It used to lurk in a back alley, waiting for my Boss DS-1 to come out of the dope house, and it would beat the crap out of it.

Eventually they both died in prison.
    Goddamn that made my night.

He Did the Monster Mash DrNewcenstein's Avatar

If we're including racks, I'll nominate the Chandler Tube Driver for worst one ever, right alongside any ART rack. The X-15 Ultrafoot is probably the best thing I've seen from them, but I've tried all their SGE racks back in the day, and was underwhelmed by them.

And yeah, that RockTek pictured is the one. Same box and all. I was there when they first came out
    Their Chorus and Flanger weren't horrible, but weren't stunning either.

I'll throw in a vote for the Ibanez L.A. Metal as well, but it was actually the best bass distortion pedal I've ever heard.

As for the Tube Screamers, I've got issues with those being so highly regarded: granted, they're only digital models, but the TS models in both my GSP 1101 and the M13 generate a dirty and clean signal at the same time, like you're hearing a direct clean signal and the distorted amp at the same time, in equal volume. I've adjusted the settings on it in every direction, but always get the same "parallel clean/dirty" effect. I can't imagine this is an issue with digital models, or that two separate digital units made by two manufacturers are somehow having the same problem with the same pedal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Note View Post
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Super Toneologist guitarSQUIRELL's Avatar

A rocktron Metal Planet
    "Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4